User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram

Default Soooo. I'm losing weight.

So far, 20 lbs, actually. I've got...a way to go. Before anyone mistakes me for a person of gargantuan proportions, let me make it known that I'm a tall girl with a sort of welsh/germanic frame. So, 20lbs for me is like, 8 lbs for a shortie. I carry it nicely, honestly, but now, I'd like it OFF thanks very much. I want my Michele Obama guns back.

I gain weight like a crazy when I'm gestating. Yucko. My emotions and body handle food and exercise totally differently while pregnant. It usually takes me 9 mos to get to my ideal weight and having some nice muscle tone (I've done it twice now, this being drastic and easily maintainable loss #3).

So, I'm currently doing some (small) weights, staying active during the day, and doing Jillian whats-her-face's 30 Day Shred. I hate her. And it works, as far as I can tell.

I eat about 75% raw, and the rest is semi-vegetarian for taste preference reasons, really. I eat eggs and sometimes meat to be polite. (Least I get hung out to dry for being a hypocrite, I'll go ahead and say I've not reached veg-nazi ideals yet).

Now, my question...will lifting weights help me lose weight faster? How can I do that without bulking up a lot? I have no ambitions of being Hulk. I'll leave that to you guys.
    I think I think more than you think I think.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyGrass View Post
    ...and doing Jillian whats-her-face's 30 Day Shred. I hate her. And it works, as far as I can tell.
    Hah! I love the way you put things.

Working out with weights will help you lose fat faster because muscles burn calories, even when they are at rest. It will cause you to gain a slight amount of weight over a period of time, because muscle is heavier than fat. However, muscles take up less room than fat, and when you develop your muscles, those areas of muscle get more toned and compact. That's why it works for some people to pay attention to their clothing size instead of the scale, because gaining muscle will bring you down in clothing size, even though the scale might not move much for a while.

You won't bulk up unless you're using very heavy weights, and even then, I think you'd have to have steroids or testosterone or be working out all day long. It just won't happen. It's not normal for a female to bulk up, so you don't have to worry about avoiding it. Muscle tone will make you look lean, not big.

Stick with the cardio, too, though, because even though weights are good, some serious cardio can help you torch calories.
    I-71%, N-80%, F-74%, P-96%

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram

Thanks! Yeah, I'm much more interested in how things fit than the number.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

You're doing Jillian 30 Day Shred too? We'll hate her together! Somehow it helps to have someone else suffering as well. It really does work. I lost about 10 pounds earlier this year that way but then got busy and lazy. Now I'm back on it.

Woman have a hard time bulking up like men so you are safe, especially if you stick within the 3-15 pound weights like you can get at Walmart.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Oh yeah - have you tried her two newest DVDs? One is more cardio and the other is more strength and they have five circuits instead of three. It's nice for changing things up and you can choose how many or few circuits you have time for that day. You can preprogram it and skip around.

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram

Oooo, thanks!! That would be helpful, I'll check those out. My most common reason for dropping a program is sheer boredom, so it'll be good to change things up.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

building muscle helps burn fat and calories.

and i prefer doing bob what ever his last name is videos, because he is nicer than jillian.

he has a biggest loser boot camp video. fun stuff.
    INFP 4w5
    facebook
    The pain won't let me get away.

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram

Aww, Bob. He's so nice. Maybe I'll throw him in there, too, for giggles.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Yeah his stuff is great! He's the squat king!!!

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyGrass View Post
    So, I'm currently doing some (small) weights, staying active during the day, and doing Jillian whats-her-face's 30 Day Shred. I hate her. And it works, as far as I can tell.
    Hey!! I've started the same work out DVD exactly!! I've learned to hate her as well! But I admit it's a good DVD thus far.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge