• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Lexapro vs. Prozac or best anti anxiety meds

Haight

Doesn't Read Your Posts
MBTI Type
INTj
I've been taking paxil forever (pretty sure it made me fat). It helps though. I also took zoloft at one point, but it didn't help as much.
Yeah, I stopped about two years ago because my life at the time was essentially stress free and I didn't like the side-effects. But I was told that something better came out.

If I could just buy a case of beta-blockers, I would be set.

Clownmaster

EvanTheClown (ETC)
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
best antianxiety = Xanax. Of course, it leaves you in comfortable unbalanced zombie mode for a number of hours until you pass out. But once your body develops the tolerance, a 1mg pill should just mellow you out and completely erase all anxiety.

The Third Rider

MBTI Type
ENFj
I was taking Paxil but after my psychiatrist increased the dosage I started to feel tired, and even gave me more anxiety so I had to stop.

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
did you have to suffer through paxil withdrawals? those things are like death.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
I stopped taking Lexapro months ago due to my inability to remember to take it every day but I am considering taking it again since my sons school crap is irritating the shit out of me. I've really come to the conclusion that I am neurotic and have on and off anxiety. Xanax is great for really bad days but I can't take it during the day becuase it makes me too drowsy.

I've also taken Prozac and at the time it worked well for me. One thing I noticed about prozac and lexapro is that when I was taking them (separately) I didn't notice a difference but I think that's how the drugs are supposed to work. I just don't want to be somewhere and totally go off on people because I am irritated in general. at one point I was taking adderall which was awesome but pretty much left me zoned out and high as a kite causing me to forget to do pretty much anything including pay bills so that ended after three months. I was great to be around but getting nothing done so I didn't renew my prescription after three months.

For those of you who are anti meds, keep in mind that some people really do need them and some just need them from time to time. Exercise has helped me in the past and I will probably try that again before lexapro.

as for the urinpeeins comments on americans and their dirty pill habits this one's for you. ;)

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I take a combo of Wellbutrin and Trileptal. It works better for me than most things. On Lexapro I still had periodic major freak outs and it made me fat. It was better than Paxil, though. However, every person has a different body chemistry so what works well for me might not work for you. Wellbutrin can actually make you feel more anxious for a few days, but it's worth it if you suffer from major depression like I do, because those side effects do go away within a week. Trileptal is great but not in large doses. My dose is relatively low, but I do need it.

sade

Really? I just started on this thing like a week ago. I guess I better keep an eye out then.:huh:

Personally citalopram was the best that I was given, least side effects and most normal feeling. I did take a small dose, but I have sensitivity to psyche meds (learned it the hard way) so that balanced it out..
I did hear such complaints from my friends, I found it strange that it stopped working or worsened the condition, but since these things are so dependant on the individual.. Better keep an eye open, just in case.

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Neither, thumbs down to Prozac because its almost totally made from a fluoride compound which suppresses your adrenal/thyroid metabolism, and in the long run counteracts any benefit by making you feel like shit and then its a spiral effect for the rest of your endocrine system same with Paxil. Same with Lexapro, actually all anti depressants or anxiety meds mess with your endocrine system which can't be good for your health can it?

Antidepressants and Serotonin

If you would believe the overwhelming advertisements of the pharmaceutical companies, you would think that serotonin primarily regulates mood. In fact, serotonin regulates a lot of other activities in the brain and body. In 1948, Maurice Rapport, a haematologist, found that serotonin tended to make blood form clots, and it tended to be a muscle- as well as a vasoconstrictor. Next to be a muscle- and vasoconstrictor, serotonin plays an important role in sleep, appetite, memory, aggression, sexual behaviour, cardiovascular activity, respiratory activity, motor output, sensory and neuroendocrine function, but most important, perception! Since 1988 the serotonin hype brought us several SSRI-AntiDepressants all stimulating this neurotransmitter. For about 11 years now, Dr. Ann Blake Tracy (Prozac: Panacea or Pandora?), persistently warns the public against raising serotonin levels. Doctor Tracy has taught us that an increase in serotonin produces rushes of insulin dropping sugar levels and chemically inducing hypoglycaemia (low blood sugar) in this way. Furthermore it has been established that too much serotonin damages blood vessels, particularly in the lungs, and may also harm heart valves. This would be due to the fact that serotonin is a powerful vasoconstrictor.

But why do I hear people talking about benefits from these SSRI-AntiDepressants?", you might want to ask in this stage. "They surely must work somehow don't they?" The answer is yes, they "work" somehow, but not in a very proper way. The mechanism of action on serotonergic neurons implies a lot of other neuro- endocrine responses. What actually happens when you increase serotonergic neuronal activity or elevate your serotonin levels is this: the stress hormones "Cortisol" & "Adrenaline" (Epinephrine) in the brain and body are triggered by increased serotonergic activity or elevated serotonin levels. It is a natural reaction from the body to combat the excessive serotonin levels. These released hormones, cortisol and adrenaline, are secreted from the "Adrenal Glands." They give the human personality a boost, producing a euphoric state, which can last for a prolonged period of time. In this manner SSRI-AntiDepressants initially produce the deceptive results the doctor and "patient" are both expecting.

Haight

Doesn't Read Your Posts
MBTI Type
INTj
... actually all anti depressants or anxiety meds mess with your endocrine system which can't be good for your health can it?
So what's your solution for extreme depression or extreme anxiety disorders, Dr. Synapse?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
People who are suffering need medication. Back in the day, people actually lost function through things like depression and panic long-term, and it seriously impacted the quality of their lives. And for people for even more serious conditions, they were often hospitalized or committed suicide. Not only that, but the newer medications work better than the ones from 30 or 40 years ago. That's why I get annoyed with people who have their little opinions like Synapse (nothing personal S.) because they obviously don't understand what it's like to actually need medication, and reflect upon how people with my condition were treated even within the last fifty years.

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
None taken, I used to think like you once. You'd be wrong that I'm advocating completely away from meds, they do offer some help and relief often times just a bandage that can exacerbate issues later in life.

And nope Haight you'd be off to presume I'd speak of embracing the spiritual spiel although it helps, whatever floats a persons boat to get a sense of stability in their lives is good enough.

I've been through 15+ years of moderate to extreme depression and social anxiety, panic and general anxieties so I think I may have insight into whats going on. I've gone through many anti depressants and anxiety meds too, 9+.

Often times the causation of said issues is rarely addressed.

There are three components. xD
Good Nutrition
Being Social
And
Regular Exercise

Let me elaborate.

Good nutrition is key above all else. A good step is to reduce processed sugar from your diet which includes alcohol because this weakens your adrenal glands and stresses your body out which causes anxieties. Plus alcohol washes away essential elements, such as zinc, magnesium and selenium which mop up all the toxins in your body unless you buy the supplements. Almost everyone has some depletion happening and a good indicator is getting a hair analysis done. Then its easier to have a metal build up such as mercury, copper, lead etc which certainly cause depression, tiredness and anxiety.

Its common sense to eat natural foods yet few realise that your body when depleted stresses your endocrine system, in particular adrenal and thyroid glands, the most which has a domino effect if you like. Lots of fruit and veg and unprocessed foods where possible. I'd say fatty foods are fine, its really the processed sugar which isn't and in today's society its overkill.

This is the same with the fluoride compound, whoever it is that had the idea to put fluoride in tap water or anti depressants had a calculating mind and I'd guess most likely INTJ because fluoride does the same deal, washes away zinc, magnesium and selenium and much worse. How is the immune system going to function then, and its your liver and kidneys that have to then take the excesses. I'd almost recommend a detox though I'm not sold on the idea personally, as the real need is to get your minerals up more so then your body should take care of the rest. Sure there are medical aspects, for instance by end of life I've read 25% of the population have a benign tumor in their pituitary, but have to wonder what caused that in the first place.

Being social is key too, and not just family or going to work. But a real solid social circle that you connect with that gets you out and about that you trust enough to relax and unwind to be yourself. This could be your significant other or the friends in the job that you love. The key is to have an outlet where your able to feel comfortable in expressing yourself and surrounded by positives rather than negatives that wear you down and stress you out.

You all know exercise releases the feel good receptors and this is crucial to get a clear mind, even if its a walk every other day for a half hour. I'm one to talk, I'm a little averse to exercise thanks to cfs issues. Though what exercise does is strengthens your immune system, muscle and bone structure naturally by being active.

I've seen the turn around in me, taken a few years or more and still has reactivity issues but I'm rarely depressed or anxious like I used to be. And sure every person is different, I could link curezone but that's got lots of gibberish as much as anything else. Getting good nutrition supplies in your body is key. And that, aside from eating healthy, socializing and exercising is the way to a healthier outlook on life without relying on meds. If its something that I've learned its that much of anxiety, fatigue, depression is an adrenal and or thyroid gland response to stressors in your life. Well okay that's subjective too, its what works for me.

The Third Rider

MBTI Type
ENFj
None taken, I used to think like you once. You'd be wrong that I'm advocating completely away from meds, they do offer some help and relief often times just a bandage that can exacerbate issues later in life.

And nope Haight you'd be off to presume I'd speak of embracing the spiritual spiel although it helps, whatever floats a persons boat to get a sense of stability in their lives is good enough.

I've been through 15+ years of moderate to extreme depression and social anxiety, panic and general anxieties so I think I may have insight into whats going on. I've gone through many anti depressants and anxiety meds too, 9+.

Good Nutrition
Being Social
And
Regular Exercise

Let me elaborate.

Good nutrition is key above all else. A good step is to reduce processed sugar from your diet which includes alcohol because this weakens your adrenal glands and stresses your body out which causes anxieties. Plus alcohol washes away essential elements, such as zinc, magnesium and selenium which mop up all the toxins in your body unless you buy the supplements. Almost everyone has some depletion happening and a good indicator is getting a hair analysis done. Then its easier to have a metal build up such as mercury, copper, lead etc which certainly cause depression, tiredness and anxiety.

Its common sense to eat natural foods yet few realise that your body when depleted stresses your endocrine system, in particular adrenal and thyroid glands, the most which has a domino effect if you like. Lots of fruit and veg and unprocessed foods where possible. I'd say fatty foods are fine, its really the processed sugar which isn't and in today's society its overkill.

This is the same with the fluoride compound, whoever it is that had the idea to put fluoride in tap water or anti depressants had a calculating mind and I'd guess most likely INTJ because fluoride does the same deal, washes away zinc, magnesium and selenium and much worse. How is the immune system going to function then, and its your liver and kidneys that have to then take the excesses. I'd almost recommend a detox though I'm not sold on the idea personally, as the real need is to get your minerals up more so then your body should take care of the rest. Sure there are medical aspects, for instance by end of life I've read 25% of the population have a benign tumor in their pituitary, but have to wonder what caused that in the first place.

Being social is key too, and not just family or going to work. But a real solid social circle that you connect with that gets you out and about that you trust enough to relax and unwind to be yourself. This could be your significant other or the friends in the job that you love. The key is to have an outlet where your able to feel comfortable in expressing yourself and surrounded by positives rather than negatives that wear you down and stress you out.

You all know exercise releases the feel good receptors and this is crucial to get a clear mind, even if its a walk every other day for a half hour. I'm one to talk, I'm a little averse to exercise thanks to cfs issues. Though what exercise does is strengthens your immune system, muscle and bone structure naturally by being active.

I've seen the turn around in me, taken a few years or more and still has reactivity issues but I'm rarely depressed or anxious like I used to be. And sure every person is different, I could link curezone but that's got lots of gibberish as much as anything else. Getting good nutrition supplies in your body is key. And that, aside from eating healthy, socializing and exercising is the way to a healthier outlook on life without relying on meds. If its something that I've learned its that much of anxiety, fatigue, depression is an adrenal and or thyroid gland response to stressors in your life. Well okay that's subjective too, its what works for me.

I found the nutrition part interesting:

Magnesium, The Nutrient That Could Change Your Life: Chapter 19. Suicide and the Magnesium Deficit

Conditions Linked to Deficiencies of Magnesium

There might be a connection.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

Good Nutrition
Being Social
And
Regular Exercise

Let me elaborate.

I've seen the turn around in me, taken a few years or more and still has reactivity issues but I'm rarely depressed or anxious like I used to be. And sure every person is different, I could link curezone but that's got lots of gibberish as much as anything else. Getting good nutrition supplies in your body is key. And that, aside from eating healthy, socializing and exercising is the way to a healthier outlook on life without relying on meds. If its something that I've learned its that much of anxiety, fatigue, depression is

Well, I've been physically active - though not an athlete - for most of my life. I used to be a professional dancer. Now I ride my bike and I walk more than a half an hour a day. I also swim when I can.

My family lives, not with me, but close to me to serve as a support mechanism. I also do on-line journaling and have connections with old friends that go back 15+ years.

I try to incorporate a good bit of fruit, veggies, and fiber into my diet. I try not to eat red meat very often. I've taken multi-vitamin and other natural supplements since childhood. I love green vegetables and sea food. No, my diet isn't perfect, but it's better than some Americans.

I also try to get plenty of sleep. I was in therapy for almost two years.

That doesn't change the fact that I still have a very real mental illness. It isn't as severe as schizophrenia, but it has caused damage in my life. I've gone without meds for most of my life, and I must say that in the past two years that I've been consistently on them I'm more balanced and successful than I've ever been. I don't know how I would do what I do (go to school full-time, work part-time, and live alone) without being on medication.

I also don't drink heavily. So...while I definitely, definitely agree that your other advice is valid for everybody - i.e. exercise, nutrition, relationship - the advice to avoid meds is frankly not in some cases.

avolkiteshvara

MBTI Type
YaYa
Never tried lex.

Prozac worked well. It made me loose my boners though........it was depressing......................IRONY?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Never tried lex.

Prozac worked well. It made me loose my boners though........it was depressing......................IRONY?

Ugh SSRIs and sexual side effects. I'm glad that Wellbutrin is the over all best choice for me. I can honestly say I'm very happy to not be on SSRIs, but I know that they work well for some people.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Never tried lex.

Also, Lexapro is like a "cleaner" more modern version of prozac. It's called Lexapro because it's like a combo of Celexa and Prozac.