• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Are introverts pickier eaters?

Are you a picky eater?

• Introvert: Yes.

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • Introvert: Somewhat.

Votes: 9 15.5%
  • Introvert: No

Votes: 27 46.6%
  • Extrovert: Yes.

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • Extrovert: Somewhat.

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Extrovert: No.

Votes: 2 3.4%

• Total voters

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
So I read about some studies that said introverts are more stimulated by their sense of smell and that extroverts rate unpleasant smells as less intense and unpleasant as introverts do. I'm wondering if the same might be true for taste and if that makes introverts more likely to be picky eaters.

MonkeyGrass

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
I'm fairly introverted, and I love really strong, exotic foods. But then, I'm also a 7. :shock:

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Holy Shit.

I've never realized it before but you could be right.

My INFP sister is the pickiest eat I've ever seen. She not only is picky about food, but when she goes to eat something, she picks at it, studies it, smells it, and makes sure it's completely safe to eat. She sticks her nose up at a lot of new food and won't go anywhere near a salad. True statement.

A close friend who's an INFJ is also fairly picky. I sit with her at lunch in school and she brings the same thing everyday- peanut butter and banana sandwich, carrots, and usually an apple. I ask her how she can go through the whole year eating the same thing everyday and she claims it's really all she likes.

I think it may be related to how strong introverts can be a bit stubborn and unwilling to go out on a limb and try some new food. I know this is a general statement because I bet there are a ton of introverts that aren't picky at all. As for the two people I described, it seems as though they are scared to leave their little boxes and see what else there is to explore which I think may be a key factor, but I'm always telling my INFP sister she needs to explore more because she doesn't know what she's missing.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
As Ive grown older, Ive become less picky in my food tastes.

It's because you're getting around more. I think it's safe to say you've been around the block a couple tree times, you know what I mean? You're a downtown man.. :nice:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I was very very picky as a kid.

As an adult, I'm much more adventurous... but I still have a tendency to find something I like and then fixate on it rather than trying new stuff. (It's a risk management thing, partly.)

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
but I still have a tendency to find something I like and then fixate on it rather than trying new stuff. (It's a risk management thing, partly.)

Ah yeah I do that to the max, until my new favorite food becomes utterly distasteful. I attribute it to time management too, new food discovery takes trial and error.

P

Phantonym

I'm a very picky eater and I have a very keen sense of smell as well. And I expect to become even pickier when I'm older. Anyway, why would anyone taste anything that smells unpleasant? Ok, the durian might be an exception. I have periods of craving for a certain food product and they come and go.

However, I'm willing to try anything at least once. How would I know otherwise whether I'd like it or not?

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I've found the answer through this 1980's Pop Song.

Step Back into time as we recount on the wise words of Billy Joel..

Uptown girl
She's been living in her uptown world
I bet she never had a back street guy
I bet her mama never told her why
I'm gonna try for an uptown girl
She's been living in her white bread world
As long as anyone with hot blood can
And now she's looking for a downtown man
That's what I am
And when she knows what
She wants from her time
And when she wakes up
And makes up her mind
She'll see I'm not so tough
Just because
I'm in love with an uptown girl
You know I've seen her in her uptown world
She's getting tired of her high class toys
And all her presents from her uptown boys
She's got a choice
Uptown girl
You know I can't afford to buy her pearls
But maybe someday when my ship comes in
She'll understand what kind of guy I've been
And then I'll win
And when she's walking
She's looking so fine
And when she's talking
She'll say that she's mine
She'll say I'm not so tough
Just because
I'm in love
With and uptown girl
She's been living in her white bread world
As long as anyone with hot blood can
And now she's looking for a downtown man (That's you, Peguy!)
That's what I am
Uptown girl
l

I lied. This is a tribute to Peguy.

Synthetic Darkness

I'm an extrovert and I'm very picky about my foods, I also have an abnormally high sense of smell I guess that's why it was always hell to give me cough syrup or anti biotics when I was younger. I don't care what the label said...that shit did not taste or smell like bubble gum.

:steam:

Feops

MBTI Type
INTx
I've been described as picky. I'm not quite sure it's accurate though - I'll eat most meats, grains, dairy, fruits, or junk food.

It's veggies that I'm selective with. So many taste bitter, bland, or foul.

The Decline

(☞゚∀゚)☞
MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
5w4
I'll try anything, really. I love variety in my diet, as well... the only problem is keeping up with this desire. Too many cultures, too many spices, too many plants, too little time & availability. This is most likely the INTP talking, as INTPs like to seek variety (enjoy your INx-skewed data).

Oh, and I'm a veggie, so perhaps that's forced pickiness. Though I don't really think so, since I'd enjoy eating the meat-laden entrees otherwise.

V

violaine

I was an extremely fussy eater as a child. Ex-vegetarian too. More adventurous now but still picky in that I like clean, healthy food. I hate fast food for the most part.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
I'm quite introverted, yet I wolf my food down quickly. I'm not picky. Not really. I won't eat just anything, but then again, most people would say that, I suppose...