123 Last

MBTI
    crak
    Enneagram
    sax
    Socionics
    adhd

Default leg shape and type of exercise

i run alot, mostly long distance. 10k is a walk in the part for me whenever i can be bothered to do it. i started because i wanted to slim down my legs so they were in proportion with the rest of my body. unfortunatley the extra muscle ive gained on my calves and thighs is bulky so even though ive lost a visible amount of leg fat, i still dont have skinny legs. i can see bitchin' runners legs coming through the softness, theyre just not very defined yet.
    to get slimmer legs, should i be doing a different exercise/sport or should i just keep going? perhaps im not stretching enough?
    im thinking i need to fix ym diet because there's alot of strong taught muscle underneith that im not getting credit for.
    i heard sprinting gives one very muscular legs (more so than stringy long distance runners) so i avoid except on the occasion im training to increase my running time.
    advice?

MBTI
    INTP

I think some folks are more prone to having a layer of fat over the muscle--I'm thin and work out, but I don't think I'd ever have that no-fat, all muscle, Jessica Biel-type look. And if I have to eat grilled chicken breasts and salad with no dressing to get it, I wouldn't deem it worth it. Buuuuut, you could probably be seeing more of the definition if you cut some junk out of your diet, like sugar and refined carbs (not all carbs, though, especially if you run).

I've started supplementing my workout routine with a short plyometric set a couple of times a week, and I can already see a big difference in my legs--they're thinner and more toned. I can post the link if you're interested--it's something I found online. I've only been doing it a couple of weeks, but I've seen changes.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Please do, I want fancy legs too! Thanks Tallulah!

MBTI
    INTP

Spot reduction doesn't work.

If you overwork your legs, they might just get bigger, rather than smaller, since you're building muscle underneath the fat.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah
    And if I have to eat grilled chicken breasts and salad with no dressing to get it, I wouldn't deem it worth it. Buuuuut, you could probably be seeing more of the definition if you cut some junk out of your diet, like sugar and refined carbs (not all carbs, though, especially if you run).
    Theoretically, if your energy expenditure exceeds your energy intake, there is nothing left to store. You would have no more luck losing fat by eating 2000 calories of grilled chicken breasts and salad than you would by eating 2000 calories of lard, although one would be much more nutritious and much less likely to give you a heart attack. Again, this is entirely theoretical, of course.

MBTI
    YaYa

You should ask these guys. They are the experts.

MBTI
    INTx

If spot reducing worked, people who chewed gum would have skinny faces.

The only way to remove fat from a given place on the body is to aim to cut as a whole. Your body chooses where to take it from - it doesn't matter what you're working.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Just keep doing what you're doing. Try cutting dietery fats a little (no half-n-half), and simple sugars.

MBTI
    INTP

This isn't spot reduction. It's cardio + using your body weight as resistance. You can burn a lot of calories and build muscle at the same time.

Plyometrics workout: Burn more calories in less time!: Workouts: Self.com
    Something Witty

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

I realize spot reduction doesn't work. However depending on the kind of exercise you do, it will give you a different shape. Case in point: speedskater legs vs ballerina legs. Both are strong, but are very different. I realize there's some element of predisposition within those two, but I do think what you do will impact how they look in the end. I have also gotten strong legs before, but without enough cardio, they do not look much better.

MBTI
    YaYa

Long light cardio like running will get you thin legs.

Heavy weight lifting will get you a nice thick Christie Yamaguchi ice skater ass.

Or you could slice you leg open and suck out the fat with your vacuum?

Type 1 vs. Type 2 muscle.