• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why is my hair falling out?

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
When i take a shower and run my fingers through my hair, it comes out in big clumps. My hair is in pretty good condition, i just got all the dead ends cut off. I'm not sure why it's happening. It also happens when i brush my hair and sometimes when i wake up in the mornings there is a lot of long hair on my pillow. I wouldn't be very worried, but it's a lot of hair.

Has any female ever experienced this? if so can you tell me wtf is wrong with me? Thanks.

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Not currently. I've been fairly stress free.

Tiny Army

MBTI Type
EN?P
Enneagram
Yes, ask the internet about your medical problems. Surely we know much more about hair falling out in clumps than say, a doctor. Everyone knows that's all bollocks and monkey's piss and they're out to get you!

(Go to a doctor. You likely have some sort of vitamin or something deficiency or it could be symptoms of a much bigger problem. If it is coming out in clumps, like seriously clumps that is a sign of problems.)

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I don't have insurance. I can't just go to the doctor or I would.
I don't want to have to pay a shit ton of money if it's nothing.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
A friend of mine is going through the same thing, though she has been under a great deal of stress. They did tests on her to rule out thyroid problems and hormonal issues...those are the 2 things I'd have checked if you can.

Shaula

Te > Fi > Ni
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
I think I may have the same problem as you. Sometimes my hair will fall out in the shower just by rinsing. Didn't even touch it! And to be honest I have no idea where it came from. I've had it several years now but I haven't developed any baldspots or anything. It seems to fall out relatively even.

I had a friend though that did loose hair due to a vitamin deficiency. But her hair fell out in certain places. Her nails also fell out.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
You're not using Selsun Blue are you? I learned the hard way that stuff burns your hair off.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
When i take a shower and run my fingers through my hair, it comes out in big clumps. My hair is in pretty good condition, i just got all the dead ends cut off. I'm not sure why it's happening. It also happens when i brush my hair and sometimes when i wake up in the mornings there is a lot of long hair on my pillow. I wouldn't be very worried, but it's a lot of hair.

It sounds like you're going bald.

I've heard that sometimes that happens to women, though it's rarer.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
Scanty I hope this is nothing serious. I found this article but I'd also recommend seeing a medical professional. Would a dermatologist be a good choice?

Not having insurance does suck. Maybe try an affordable clinic in your area (or at least one that would be willing to work with you financially)?

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I would call the Dr.

Unless it's more than I'm thinking - I brushed my hair at a friends house when I had dark hair and she said the floor looked like a witch had been there - I wouldn't be concerned.

Usehername

On a mission

Has any female ever experienced this? if so can you tell me wtf is wrong with me? Thanks.

When I was post-Africa-yet-undiagnosed sick, my hair was falling out for a long while. It was never in clumps, I would just have to pick up hairs everywhere I went. Every chair I leaned against was covered.

I had exceptionally thick hair though so you couldn't tell by looking at me, only the shed hair everywhere, and it wasn't a big deal because when I got healthier it stopped.

Mine was undiagnosed, but I also had many other hormonal problems (missed many periods, acne coming and going, moody as hell, etc.) so I suspect mine was sort of like when pregnant women lose hair after giving birth and hormones are recalibrating.

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I had exceptionally thick hair though so you couldn't tell by looking at me, only the shed hair everywhere, and it wasn't a big deal because when I got healthier it stopped.

Mine was undiagnosed, but I also had many other hormonal problems (missed many periods, acne coming and going, moody as hell, etc.) so I suspect mine was sort of like when pregnant women lose hair after giving birth and hormones are recalibrating.

i have a lot of missed periods too and i've always been moody as hell, so i'm not sure if i can contribute that to a hormonal problem but its possible.

i also have reasonably thick hair. I don't think i'm going bald, as Athenian suggested. I think i would lose my hair more slowly if i was going bald for life. i'm losing it dramatically, but i don't have any bald spots or anything yet.

Also i'm pretty healthy. I take a multi vitamin, i eat very well low calories and low fat balanced meals, i exercise pretty regularly. I'm overweight, but i have good cholesterol, perfect blood pressure and no other medical issues, other than clinical depression.

I'm going to try to find a clinic that won't make me pay a ridiculous amount up front, but from past experience i know this is difficult to find.

miked277

MBTI Type
INTP
i had a hair problem about 7 years ago (my early 20s) where it just started falling out really quickly. turns out i had a weird bacterial infection on my scalp. the hairloss clinic i went to diagnosed it and treated it for a reasonable fee.

i went through some of that red laser hair stimulation therapy and my hair recovered nicely.

anyways, wherever you go make sure they run some tests on your hair, your scalp and maybe blood before they suggest any treatment (like a few of the other clinics i've seen).

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
Have you looked into food intolerances?

Sometimes inspite of eating healthy you can apparantly build up an intolerance to certain products.

There is also candida which can cause hair loss and is more often undiagnosed, which would involve going on a candida diet.

I doubt you are going bald, but something like candida if left untreated can cause more permanent hair loss, so the hair falls out but doesn't regrow like normal childbirth or stress related hair loss.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
We all lose hair on a daily basis, but I'm sure you know that.. it must be an alarming amount then..

It could be a condition known as Alopecia Areata.

It could also be some sort of bacterial infection of the skin, affecting hair follicles predominantly.. it's amazing how much bacteria we carry on our skin naturally - and how much we can simply 'pick up' day-to-day, no matter how sanitary our habits.
I'd be more concerned about the bacterial infection than the skin disorder, actually. Left untreated, certain infections that don't seem like a huge deal can prove potentially quite hazardous to your overall health.. health of all things should take priority over monetary cost, but hey.. that's the idealist in me talking...

Either way, if you aren't taking a complete multivitamin presently, I'd recommend doing so. Or at the very least take some vitamin A, E, and C supplements.. they're essential for healthy skin/hair/nails. Vitamin A especially.

Good luck.