• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why is my hair falling out?

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
When i take a shower and run my fingers through my hair, it comes out in big clumps. My hair is in pretty good condition, i just got all the dead ends cut off. I'm not sure why it's happening. It also happens when i brush my hair and sometimes when i wake up in the mornings there is a lot of long hair on my pillow. I wouldn't be very worried, but it's a lot of hair.

Has any female ever experienced this? if so can you tell me wtf is wrong with me? Thanks.

Hi, honey, let me see if I can help. I've had problems with that since age 19 to varying degrees. In my case, it's autoimmune. Many women experience hair loss and it can be anything from hormones (like a thyroid problem) to food absorption problems (G.I. issues like IBS). After I got REALLY sick, my hair was coming out at a distressing rate, so I know how you feel. It's scary and upsetting.

I'd like to suggest something I've had some success with. Biotin supplementation. It's B7, you can take high doses without toxicity, and it's inexpensive. It will at least slow the loss rate and encourage/accelerate new growth.

Have you treated or colored your hair lately?

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I definitely recall that from beauty school days. Excessive chemical treatment can ravage your scalp, and needless to say your hair. If you haven't been doing dye jobs and the like, I'd suggest seeing a doctor. Finding an inexpensive one is the trick in your case. I don't have a suggestion beyond what the others said about a clinic.

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Hi, honey, let me see if I can help. I've had problems with that since age 19 to varying degrees. In my case, it's autoimmune. Many women experience hair loss and it can be anything from hormones (like a thyroid problem) to food absorption problems (G.I. issues like IBS). After I got REALLY sick, my hair was coming out at a distressing rate, so I know how you feel. It's scary and upsetting.

I'd like to suggest something I've had some success with. Biotin supplementation. It's B7, you can take high doses without toxicity, and it's inexpensive. It will at least slow the loss rate and encourage/accelerate new growth.

Have you treated or colored your hair lately?

I actually take Biotin everyday! It's part of my daily supplement regimen. I haven't color treated my hair recently,but i did about 3 months ago. I wonder if that really could be part of it. :shock:

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
I actually take Biotin everyday! It's part of my daily supplement regimen. I haven't color treated my hair recently,but i did about 3 months ago. I wonder if that really could be part of it. :shock:
i doubt it. i am leaning towards thyroid issues. see if there is a way you can get to a dr. :hug:

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
How much biotin do you take, just out of curiosity?

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
Did you start a pill form of birth control in the last 6 months?

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
According to Wikipedia, hair loss has the following causes:

Male pattern baldness
Androgenetic alopecia
Fungal infection such as "black dot" tinea or tinea capitis
Chemical breakage such as over processing, or frequent use of chemical relaxer
Heat damage as from repeated hot comb use
Chronic exposure to traction on hair shaft such as Traction alopecia
Compulsive hair pulling such as trichotillomania
Hypothyroidism
Iron deficiency

Alopecia areata
Telogen effluvium resulting from physical or psychological stress
Hereditary disorder of the hair shaft or genodermatoses
Secondary syphillis can cause "moth eaten hairloss"[3]
Discoid lupus erythematosus or chronic cutanous lupus erythematosus
Lichenplanopilaris
Pseudopelade of Brocq
Tufted folliculitis
Dissecting cellulitis
Alopecia mucinosa
Keratosis follicularis spinulosa decalvans
Adverse effect from certain drugs such as chemotherapy
Testosterone booster tablets.

Question: Do you exercise and eat well (balanced diet)? Anorexia, bulimia, and other eating disorders, as well as a sedentary lifestyle and unbalanced diet can contribute.

The most common reasons are: lifestyle (eating too little or too much), genetics, hormone imbalances, stress, hypothyroidism....

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ok, that's a pretty good amount. I've seen people take 5,000 mcg a day for major hair loss. Never gone that high myself.

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Question: Do you exercise and eat well (balanced diet)? Anorexia, bulimia, and other eating disorders, as well as a sedentary lifestyle and unbalanced diet can contribute.

The most common reasons are: lifestyle (eating too little or too much), genetics, hormone imbalances, stress, hypothyroidism....

Yes i do exercise (almost every day..light cardio mixed with light weight training) and eat a well balanced diet. I have been eating less than usual, but i've been on a low calorie diet. I've still been consuming a fair amount of calories though. Between 1500 and 1700. I've never had an eating disorder that involved not eating at all or purging, but i've had trouble with binge eating most of my life.

avolkiteshvara

MBTI Type
YaYa
You might be anemic.

Increase your consumption of liver or take an iron supplement.

Eat a little more than 1500 calories especially if exercising.

I am an amateur gynecologist in my spare time!

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yep, I'd say get checked for anemia, hypothyroidism, and hormone balance.

That's your best bet - sorry to say that, I know the doc can cost, but we're all willing to give out money for EVERYTHING EXCEPT our health.

Even if things are tight, you have to think about your health first...above all else. If you don't have that, you don't have anything...

Nijntje

Warflower
MBTI Type
CRZY
Enneagram
4w5
Do you brush your hair a lot? I have hair which can't decide if it wants to be wavy/curly or straight, thus i very rarely brush it lest it go in to an utter puffball of crapness. So whenever i wash my hair massive amounts come out, but it doesn't actually make any difference to the amount of hair on my head. I also colour my hair a lot as i get bored easily.

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
OK so..after i asked my boyfriend to look at my scalp when i woke up this morning, i was very surprised to find this:

Picture003-2-1.jpg

I called the nearest clinic right away. i had to wait about 3 hours before anyone could see me, which sucked.

After the doctor ruled out any genetic reasons he said it might be alopecia areata, but said he would run a full range of tests.

he said he would have my results by the end of the day and he'd have a nurse call me with them. i'll let you guys know what the nurse says.