User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTP

I'm an omnivore, but I don't eat a lot of meat. Sometimes meat grosses me out a bit. I am a big animal lover, so I'd actually prefer to dispense with meat altogether. I tend to like turkey, fish and other seafood more than other types of meat when I do eat it.

I tried to go vegetarian a few years ago. It lasted a couple of months. I felt like I was a) thinking about food all the time, and b) experiencing much lower energy levels. I don't need a lot of meat to function, but I don't think I could go totally veggie unless I developed a health problem that mandated it.
    Something Witty

Phantonym

- What type are you? (Meat-eater, pescatarian, ovo-lacto veg, vegan, etc)

I'm an omnivore but I've also opted to eat less beef/pork and more fish/poulty.

- Were you raised with this diet or did you choose it yourself? At what point in your life did this occur?

I come from a strong "Worship the meat!" family. In my early twenties I decided that I had had enough and started to put more thought into my diet.

- What is your main focus/reasoning for this dietary choice? (Tradition, ethics, health, not sure, etc)

Mainly health reasons. It just felt right. I didn't have any health problems back then but I knew that this couldn't last forever. I don't have any at the moment either. My dietary choice didn't only concern meat but also passing on refined foods that I consider "dead". No carbonated/lots-of-sugar drinks; no extra sugar from food in general (cereal or adding sugar in food); less wheat etc. I chose to support my body with food that it actually needs.

- What are your thoughts on vegetarianism?

It's a choice like any other and I support people who have chosen to be vegetarians as long as they don't do it merely because of a whim. They should definitely do their research and provide their body with all the necessary nutrients. People are solely responsible for their own body and health and it's best to have as much information on what's actually good for you as possible.

- How do you think your type or parts of your MBTI type plays a role in your dietary choice
    I don't know if it's type related. Maybe having a healthy dose of control-freakish-perfectionistic tendencies helps to maintain the lifestyle I've chosen?
    Last edited by Phantonym; 10-08-2009 at 06:49 AM.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Quote Originally Posted by Sky is BLUE! View Post
    I don't know if it's type related. Maybe having a healthy dose of control-freakish-perfectionistic tendencies helps to maintain the lifestyle I've chosen?
    I KNEW IT!
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

MBTI
    TOTO

Nah, I think it's probably just drive. You decide to do something and you stick to it.

Une Femme est une femme paperoceans's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

What type are you? (Meat-eater, pescatarian, ovo-lacto veg, vegan, etc)
    I'm a pescetarian/part raw food vegan. It's complicated; I'm a raw food vegan until dinner time.

Were you raised with this diet or did you choose it yourself? At what point in your life did this occur?
    I was raised on a strict kosher diet--only when I was thirteen was I allowed to eat shrimp and pork. As a result, I really do not like neither and I'm afraid to eat lobster I've been trying to become a vegan since I was sixteen. I survived for two months before my mother talked me into eating meat again. As of now, I only eat fish. I no longer eat meat for... I'm not sure, I guess it's just a personal preference. I hate the taste of chicken and: beef, pork, goat, ox, etc. makes me feel sick. I guess I've grown an intolerance towards meat/poultry and I'm lactose intolerant.

What is your main focus/reasoning for this dietary choice? (Tradition, ethics, health, not sure, etc)
    I was starting to get stomach pains whenever I ate: meat, poultry, or dairy. So I started avoiding those foods and ate more fruits, nuts (hehe), and veggies. As a result, I started craving greens. Whenever I have meat it tastes funky; also, I no longer eat "bad" sugar either. It tastes way too sweet to me nowadays. I'm ~60% raw foodist because the medication that I'm on makes me crave carbohydrates and I am never full. It increases my appetite and I have the tendency to overeat. You really can't gain too much weight from ODing on fruits and vegetables! Plus, they keep me semi-full for at least 2-4hrs before I'm hungry again. Green smoothies are a life savior!

What are your thoughts on vegetarianism?
    I do not have any. It is what it is.

How do you think your type or parts of your MBTI type plays a role in your dietary choice
    My MBTI type is unrelated to my diet.

Other thoughts on the issue?
    Nope
    Between that cigarillo and sticking my finger down my throat to see if I could DT, I feel like puking RN.

Read my Blog.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

What type are you? (Meat-eater, pescatarian, ovo-lacto veg, vegan, etc)

I'm vegetarian
    Were you raised with this diet or did you choose it yourself? At what point in your life did this occur?
    I chose it myself, when I was six
    What is your main focus/reasoning for this dietary choice? (Tradition, ethics, health, not sure, etc)

Initially, it was because my pet chicken died and I was disgusted that anyone could eat a dead animal. Now, it's an ethical thing. Also, it's so normal for me to not eat meat, I don't even think about it.
    What are your thoughts on vegetarianism?

I advocate it! But I hate the ones that try and push it on others.
    How do you think your type or parts of your MBTI type plays a role in your dietary choice
    I'm not sure. I'm an extreme INFP and we seem to be a bit more sensitive than a majority of the types?

Quote Originally Posted by The Decline View Post

- Were you raised with this diet or did you choose it yourself? At what point in your life did this occur?

- What is your main focus/reasoning for this dietary choice? (Tradition, ethics, health, not sure, etc)

- How do you think your type or parts of your MBTI type plays a role in your dietary choice

- Other thoughts on the issue?
    1) Primal/Paleo (high fat, moderate protein, very low carb): Mark's Daily Apple, Drs Eades , Free The Animal , Jimmy Moore's Livin' La Vida Low Carb Blog etc.

2) Chose myself--early 30s.

3) Health & Vanity

4) Not conducive to optimal health or body composition; find it regrettable that so many vegetarians are vegetarians because they believe it to be but are ignorant of research (I was a vegetarian for 2+ years in teens). Vegan diets in particular are very destructive to health. Don't particularly mind if people I am not close to follow dietary practices I regard as silly (or smoke, or drink to excess) but actively counsel those close to me re: diet, esp. when they have been following conventional low-fat diets and are obese, hungry, have poor lipid profiles, are on statins, etc.

5) Primal/Paleo/LCers seem to be much brighter than average, much more likely to be Ns; presumably SJs will be late adopters. I imagine the closest parallel is to adoption of technology in general.

6) If I had only known about Primal/Paleo/LC eating back in the 80s, when I was reading Pritikin and Jane Effin' Brody...Oh Lordie...

MBTI
    INTx

Thinking about this some, I wonder if anyone has input on how they felt for the first three months or so after switching to a vegetarian diet.

Personally the notion makes me a bit nervous of nutritional deficiencies. I've heard rather mixed reviews about any diet that leans hard in any given direction.

MBTI
    SEXY

Full fledged carnivore.

I was raised with a healthy balanced diet, two ounces of vegetables a day, fish at least once a week and plenty of meat.

Why WOULD I become a vegetarian. Meat tastes good.

After long consideration I decided to accept it's existence as a real thing and not something people made up to fool me. In recent years I came to know that it's not all that uncommon either.

None whatsoever.

MEAT > VEGETABLES!
    (removed)

MBTI
    Te<3
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx
    Socionics
    SiNe

Vegan.

I chose it myself. I was raised in a traditional meat-eating family; we had beef, pork, or chicken of some sort nearly every single night. At the age of 16, I watched videos on animal (cows and pigs) slaughtering, and this was the point that I cut out beef and pork completely. No hesitation. It took a while for me to get chicken out of my system, but at the age of 18 I finally did. I had been trying to go vegan since I was 17, but never could get off of everything--especially the cheese. I tried once, and it lasted two weeks. I recently went vegan again about a month ago, and I feel great. I plan to keep it this way.

Health and ethical reasons. I didn't like the thought of eating animals that were slaughtered, and I also knew that by cutting out a lot of this stuff I'd be much healthier. I feel healthier.

I think it's great, and I admire all who are vegan or vegetarian, but don't be pushy about it. That's just lame.

I really don't think it does. Vegetarianism is a way of living for some people; anybody can be in the category, not just one MBTI type.

Yes. I'm tired of being criticized by 'friends' and family members about being vegan.