User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

- What type are you? (Meat-eater, pescatarian, ovo-lacto veg, vegan, etc)
    I'm an ovo-lacto vegetarian, homes.

- Were you raised with this diet or did you choose it yourself? At what point in your life did this occur?
    I chose the diet, and I chose it about 3 months ago

- What is your main focus/reasoning for this dietary choice? (Tradition, ethics, health, not sure, etc)

Honestly, mostly health, but I do care about the plight of teh animals, and that was part of the reason I chose to go veg as well.

- What are your thoughts on vegetarianism?
    It's pretty noice.

- How do you think your type or parts of your MBTI type plays a role in your dietary choice

LOL, idk. I guess when it comes to the plight of teh animals, my caring nature kicks in, lol.

- Other thoughts on the issue?
    Nozzir.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I am a lacto-ovo vegetarian, thinking about becoming a vegan

- Were you raised with this diet or did you choose it yourself? At what point in your life did this occur?
    I chose it myself. I decided just after my fourteenth birthday, I am now sixteen.

- What is your main focus/reasoning for this dietary choice? (Tradition, ethics, health, not sure, etc)
    Ethics, compassion and health. I also found out after I made the choice that someone I look up to very much (Davey Havok) is a vegan, and he kind of fuelled the fire, and kept me at it. Although now I could never see myself going back to eating meat.

I think it's the intelligent choice of a diet. It's healthy, kind, and in today's society humans can live perfectly well without meat. We kill animals for no other reason than greed.

- How do you think your type or parts of your MBTI type plays a role in your dietary choice

Hmmm. INFP's tend to be caring. And Idealist?

I don't have anything against meat eaters, especially the free range/organic eating ones.

MBTI
    TOTO

Vegan.

I chose it for myself, it's probably been four or five months now. Maybe more. I think I started in March so...

I have no idea. When it happened, it just happened.

Good for them...? I have no thoughts.

- How do you think your type or parts of your MBTI type plays a role in your dietary choice I dunno, you tell me, I'm not really that self reflective on the matter.

- Other thoughts on the issue? Yeah I also quit drinking soda three years ago an on top of a vegan diet I don't eat high fructose corn syrup or partially hydronated oils.

MBTI
    yupp

- What type are you? (Meat-eater, pescatarian, ovo-lacto veg, vegan, etc)meat eater

raised
    I'll pretty much eat just about anything
    It's nice, I could if i wanted, but I don't want to, but I really don't eat huge amount of meat these days, not to say I still don't enjoy some chicken or a steak or a hamburger occasional
    I'm INFP I'm suppose to give a shit about animal rights, but I don't so, so nope,
    none at the time, I really don't give a shit about others people dietary choices and I'm always respectful of that, as long as they're respectful of mine. and I could eat more fruits and veggies but the fruit and veggies are shitty here so i don't buy them very often, and I'm not paying 6 dollars for an organic apple especially since studies have shown that their is no real benefit from eating organic. So yeah I think the whole organic thing is mostly a scam. I don't care if the apple was blessed by blind tibetan monks an apple is never worth that much.and the fact is that theirs only so many organic farms that the fruits and vegetables have to be shipped further which means more gas used, so if it's for enviromental reasons then why bother? I would love to grow all my own food but that's not feasible.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Omnivore. The one that eats both. I don't discriminate

I was raised with it. If I had been raised to catch my own meat to eat it, I'd probably stick with that. As it stands, I live in the city, where that's quite impossible. We were also raised to grow gardens though, so we try to do that whenever possible.

Mostly convenience (It'd be a pain to drive hours out just to catch food everyday) and my current residence mixed with what I've been doing my whole life already.

I am getting more into healthier, raw foods. I don't buy organic shit yet though

I think it's fine if you wanna do it. We eat a vegetarian meal once a week here just to make sure we're putting emphasis on what's good for our bodies, and cutting meat portions in meals.

- How do you think your type or parts of your MBTI type plays a role in your dietary choice?

They probably don't. I could see an ENFP feeling bad about Peter Cottontail being breakfast, but I certainly see nothing wrong with it.

Food rocks.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ENFJ

Ovo-lacto vegetarian.

I remember refusing to eat fish as a young child. I connected it to fish in the river, which I did not think were food. It wasn't so much an empathetic thing at the time, from what I can recall. It was more of a view of their purpose. I didn't identify water animals as a food source. As an older child, I frequently refused to eat red meat or poultry as I identified them as animals, not food. By then, it was an empathic desire to not inflict pain and destruction on creatures when there were alternatives available, making it needless in my mind. By my teen years, I would not eat anything with visible blood. The sight of blood would bring about a strong smell of death that would revolt me and make my stomach do flip-flops. My family was not at all supportive of my views and had no idea where they came from. I'm still seen as a little odd, but I've been a vegetarian so long that they just accept it is who I am.

When I became an adult, I made a conscious choice to not eat any meat, fish, sea food, or poultry because of the ethical issues concerning the animals' treatment. I am not morally opposed to eating meat, but I have what I see as the luxury of choosing where my food comes from and of being able to afford alternatives, and so I feel an obligation to live by my principles since the opportunity is available to me. I've since learned of the many health benefits of reducing or eliminating animal flesh from the diet (with the exception of fish, but there's still no way I'm eating that and I'm not too happy about the toxic levels of chemicals in our waterways, the methods of fishing, and the contamination in that anyway).

I'm not too happy about eating milk and eggs. When I think about it, I find both disgusting and I'm not assuaged by the further health issues with milk. I am appalled with the way animals are treated in both industries. However, I do not believe that I have access to the resources, internally or externally, to make a strict vegan diet healthy, so I'm just picky about my sources for milk and eggs, both of which I get from a local organic farm and consume little of. I use vegan margarine and milk most of the time, but not all.

My blood work always comes back perfect without any supplements so I'm not going to try to fix what ain't broke.

I think I answered that sufficiently above.

1. It is the norm for most of the world and not in itself unhealthy. People don't need meat.
    2. Vegetarianism provides more opportunities to feed people and to feed them healthier food (even though many of those opportunities are not being utilized).
    3. For Americans who choose it, it is a discipline which requires self-control over a long period of time, which is a useful skill to cultivate especially in the area of food consumption.
    4. I don't like being lumped in with people who want to kill off humans to protect the animals because I choose to take advantage of the opportunities available to me to live by my principles.
    5. I don't judge people for eating meat and understand how culture, opportunity, knowledge, finances, personal desire, etc would lead a person to choose to do so, or even to never make a conscious choice as they accept what was handed on to them without considering alternatives.
    6. There's a lot of really yummy naturally vegetarian food out there! It doesn't have to be soydogs and tofu burgers.
    7. I hate soy. It's irrational, but I don't eat it. I think I emotionally connect it to extremism and don't want to be seen that way, and I don't feel comfortable with the health risks of highly processed soy, either.

- How do you think your type or parts of your MBTI type plays a role in your dietary choice?
    I don't know. Maybe it helped me to do what I thought was right despite strong social pressure to the contrary? Maybe my drive to keep learning has helped sustain me through the years as more layers of why I am a vegetarian develop through continued study? Maybe it is why I am able to walk the line of having a strong personal conviction and acceptance of people who are not vegetarians? Maybe it is what has helped to moderate me so that I didn't go full-fledged into a vegan diet only to crash and burn 6 months later as I definitely would have had I tried it?

Some of my favorite recipes, which I usually use a vegan milk and/or butter in if it is called for:
    Vegetable Biryani
    Easy Masoor Daal
    Sweet Corn Tomalito
    Moroccan Lentil Soup
    Vegetable Shepherd's Pie
    Crispy Vegetable Pakoras
    Sean's Falafel and Cucumber Sauce
    Winter Fruit Compote
    Sirecz (Easter Cheese)
    German Apple Pancake
    Sweet Potato Oranges
    Chinese Steamed Buns
    Chili Potato Burritos

I want to try this: High-Protein Torte
    Tilde
    Classic ENFJ woman--passionate, loyal, misunderstood
    -slightly expressed extroverted, intuitive personality
    -distinctively expressed feeling, judging personality

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by Feops View Post
    I'm not a vegetarian but I enjoy discussions on the topic.

Even your typical omnivore could stand to reduce their intake of meat and consume a substantially heftier sum of fruits and veggies. There's lessons to be had even if you don't agree with the vegetarian reasons.
    This.

I'll fully admit my own weakness in this regard. I find the taste of many vegetables to be bland or bitter, there are few I enjoy, so I naturally gravitate to meats and sugars. I've somewhat compromised by shifting over to fish and chicken.
    True. I just bought some apples picked from a local orchard at a farmer's market and they taste so sweet and fresh and juicy. I've had the same experience with berries. I just can't stop eating them.

But any fruit I buy from the grocery store rarely has this amazing taste. Too bad.
    ENFP Male: E-74% N-95% F-58% P-84% 3w2
    "I feel there are two people inside me - me and my intuition. If I go against her, she'll screw me every time, and if I follow her, we get along quite nicely." -Kim Basinger

MBTI
    INTP

I'm an omnivore but have been attempting to reduce my meat intake for a few years now. I must say it's very hard to be a vegetarian and do any significant amount of exercise. If I cut back on meat, and don't cut back on exercise too, I feel like shit.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by rhinosaur View Post
    I'm an omnivore but have been attempting to reduce my meat intake for a few years now. I must say it's very hard to be a vegetarian and do any significant amount of exercise. If I cut back on meat, and don't cut back on exercise too, I feel like shit.
    Have you tried high-energy foods? What has your experience been if you eat like the below?

Water to drink.

A peanut butter/chocolate/banana morning smoothie with flax, yogurt, and whatever else you want for flavoring or nutrition. Add a little cabbage, carrot, avocado or beets without hurting the flavor. Serve with a bowl of oatmeal with some walnuts or pecans in it. Water to drink.

Some cottage cheese with preserves for flavoring and some almonds on the side for a snack. Water to drink.

A bean soup or stew of some sort for lunch like chili with some cheese sprinkled on top. A salad made with any green veggies or leaves. Spinach, dark lettuce, zucchini, mushrooms, broccoli, herbs, yellow tomatoes, sunflower seeds...whatever. Topped with a diced boiled egg. A roll with whole grain whole wheat. Water to drink.

A stick of cheese and an energy bar for a snack. Water to drink.

Exercise. Lots of water to drink.

A raw apple for a snack. Water to drink.

Pasta with broccoli, pine nuts, peppers, onions, spices, etc for dinner. A side of veggies like apricot glazed carrots. Water to drink.

Some berry sorbet for dessert.
    Tilde
    Classic ENFJ woman--passionate, loyal, misunderstood
    -slightly expressed extroverted, intuitive personality
    -distinctively expressed feeling, judging personality

MBTI
    INTP

Thanks for the recommendations. I am currently in another phase of trying to cut back on meat, and could use the suggestions. Although the specifics of what you mentioned are a little out of range for my eating style (for example I don't like smoothies because it's a PITA to clean the blender), I think I can run with the general principle (eat more high-calorie and high-protein foods).