• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Stomache hurting when doing pushups

Zergling

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ExTJ
See title, I'm just wondering if anyone can explain it or suggest ways around it. It is often the case that an area near my waist starts ot hurt or get tired earlier than my arms when doing these pushups. I think I'm doing them o.k. (keeping my body flat), and am doing some situps on the theory that making muscles in that area stronger can't hurt, but figured I'd ask for information here. (It isn't a serious issue, just something that's kind of curious.)

Recluse

MBTI Type
INXP
You may need to strengthen both your abdominal and back muscles in order to have the muscular control to keep your back completely straight while doing pushups. (Have a friend check your form.) Also, concentrate on pulling in your stomach while you do the pushups.

If the pain is more toward the side, add a twist to the left/right at the top of each sit-up, to target your obliques.

If the pain doesn't feel like a muscular pain, you could have a hernia:
Hernia information produced by medical doctors

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
Is it your muscles or your actual stomach that hurts, Zergling? Are you just starting a workout regime?

Zergling

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ExTJ
Is it your muscles or your actual stomach that hurts, Zergling? Are you just starting a workout regime?

It's muscles, it feels nothing like a stomache ache. It has gotten less achy as I've done this more and more (recently, I haven't had any big problems with it, I just feel it there a bit.)

For the second question, I've been doing this full time for mayb e 1 1/2-2 weeks, I have been doing bits and pieces before that for about a month.

If the pain doesn't feel like a muscular pain, you could have a hernia:

That has popped into my head a few times. If it does start hurting more, I'll probably check into it being a hernia.

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
If it is the muscles, I would have to agree that your abs are probably just underdeveloped and once they get strengthened some you won't notice it as much.

Zergling

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ExTJ
If it is the muscles, I would have to agree that your abs are probably just underdeveloped and once they get strengthened some you won't notice it as much.

They always have been the weak area (In school I could run pretty well, was o.k. in terms of arm stuff, but situps were always quite hard to do.)

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Zergling I'm guessing you are male (?)

I ask because if you're a woman, there are other possible answers to your question.

---

*Edit*

Nevermind. I agree with strengthening the ab muscles. Perhaps you are tightening your ab muscles too much for support?
Also, are you sure it is just the stomach muscles and not your internal organs that are causing you pain?
It's amazing how you can be holding certain muscles too tensely without knowing it.

Last edited:

Zergling

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ExTJ
It was the "weak stomache muscles" thing apparently, as I don't have the problem now after doing my small bits of exercise over a few months.