• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Blood pressure

Rajah

Reigning Bologna Princess
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Okay, so I'm, like, really stressed lately. My blood pressure is slightly elevated - the bottom number. Systolic. Diastolic. Whatever. Normally my blood pressure is just fine; I've just been on edge for a little while now.

In any event, I need to get my blood pressure to come down for a day. Don't feel like going into details. Just need it to happen.

Suggestions?

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
When I was pregnant mine went up, and to keep me from getting risked out of the birth center we needed it to come down quickly without medication. My midwife told me to eat six eggs a day and as much watermelon as I could hold. She said I wouldn't want to do this long term, but I was basically about to burst so it wasn't going to be more than a week or so.

It seemed to work for me, but it took a few days to kick in. I don't know how quickly you need yours to change.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Also, if you can lie on your left side before the test that helps.

Rajah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
The watermelon makes sense. I read dehydration is a common culprit... the watermelon would take care of that.

I just feel so... stressed.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Deal with the stress to help control your blood pressure. It doesn't really work the other way around. What is your BP reading? Slightly elevated for a brief period of time isn't going to do any harm.

Find ways to relieve your stress.

ergophobe

Allergic to Mornings
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Three suggestions :

1. Measure and cut down on your salt intake. I started watching the sodium levels (less than 200mg per serving) of any snacks I consumed and this had a pretty quick effect. If you cook, put 1/2 a teaspoon of salt aside and see if you can just use that for your food that day.
2. Consuming more water will help too with reducing sodium levels although you lose other nutrients too and can have too much water. Go for a balance.
3. Deep breathing really helps if done correctly. Breathe in through your nose, pause for a second and breathe out REALLY slowly through your mouth. Count if possible -- your breathing out should take twice as many breaths as breathing in.

Good luck!

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
20-40 min of aerobic exercise would probably bring BP down once you've rested from it. Do enough to get the endorphins flowing.

laintpe

Summer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Before I was vegan I was about 120/70, now I'm around 100/60... not that you have to give up all animal products.... but increasing veg/fruit intake and lowering red meat/cheese...etc

Rajah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Okay, so just got it checked yesterday. It's 104/80. They seemed happy with it.

pippi

MBTI Type
xxxx
Normal is 120/80 so you are fine. The diastolic pressure (second number) doesn't vary as much as the top one and isn't considered hypertension (high blood pressure) unless it's consistently over 90. Your systolic pressure is nice and low, over 140 is a problem for that one.