• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

UK Mother Sent Warning Letter for "Overweight" Child

heart

heart on fire
So where's the fat? Mother sent warning letter as health police say son is just 1lb overweight | Mail Online

So where's the fat? Mother sent warning letter as health police say son is just 1lb overweight
By Julie Moult
Last updated at 11:19 AM on 15th May 2009

Comments (45) Add to My Stories
Michala Forder and Zac show the NHS letter that branded him fat
Zac Forder is a lively and active child of five, weighing 3st 5lb.

Unfortunately that' s a pound over the recommended guidelines - meaning he's been labelled overweight by health workers.
(more at link)

PuddleRiver

It's always something...
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w6
Well, well. Wouldn't I be seething. :dry: I'd be looking for someone to lose my infj temper on.

Oom

Your time is gonna come.
MBTI Type
IsfP
Enneagram
5w4
It's all automated I suppose. Maybe they didn't think about overlapping and such. It might just be rigid values in a computer system, it doesn't know that 1lb. is splitting hairs.

heart

heart on fire
But what about the mother's concern that such overreaction, however it comes to pass, may trigger extreme reactions in children or teens who are not truly overweight and contribute to body image distortions and eating disorders?

I'm curious what people think.

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
that should read anorexic child 1lb overweight, now who wants candy.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
That cute little kid does not look fat at all. One pound? Seriously?

Rajah

Reigning Bologna Princess
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I don't care if the kid really was truly overweight - why are the schools getting involved in this?

And there's no way of doing this that keeps these kids from being further marginalized. I'd even say if you think there is, you haven't actually been overweight and you don't get what these kids are feeling. These kids and these parents are well aware of the kids' differences. All this does is (further) embarrass the kids.

Meh.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Who ever set the system, didn't think about margin of error.
That kid doesn't even look close to being over weight - have they taken into account height etc?

Rajah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
And, Jesus, my weight naturally fluctuates 3 pounds over the course of the day. I weigh 3 pounds less in the morning than I do at night.

Stupid idea; stupid system; stupid scale; bah.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I think the UK has more problems with weight than any other place in Europe. I'm sure they are trying all sorts of stuff, though this instance seems like drastic overreaching.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
whats 1 stone equal again?

bloody Brits with their bloody stubborn measurement system.....

Popsicle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Why would that mother show such a letter to her child? Am I missing something?

She says, "I could have told him doctors think he is overweight. He could then take it upon himself to start on an eating disorder because of it."

Hello, then why did she hand the child the letter? And have him pose sucking in his stomach to show off all his ribs (like that looks like a natural pose)? And then she went to the media with it? Does she think he has no clue what this is all about?

Sheesh.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't care if the kid really was truly overweight - why are the schools getting involved in this?

This could lead to an entirely other thread. If schools are allowed to determine a child's mental/emotional health paired with parental neglect (i.e. suspicion of abuse reported to authorities), should they be allowed to intervene if they see physical unhealth paired with parental negligence? I don't know and I'll have to think on it.

But if they are, as is this school's policy, what should the standards or severity be first? 1lb. does seem ludicrous. Maybe 25% above normal or higher? Who determines the standards?

Rajah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
This could lead to an entirely other thread. If schools are allowed to determine a child's mental/emotional health paired with parental neglect (i.e. suspicion of abuse reported to authorities), should they be allowed to intervene if they see physical unhealth paired with parental negligence? I don't know and I'll have to think on it.

But if they are, as is this school's policy, what should the standards or severity be first? 1lb. does seem ludicrous. Maybe 25% above normal or higher? Who determines the standards?
I hate that physical imperfection is becoming increasingly equated with parental negligence. It's so not that simple.