User Tag List

12 Last

heart on fire

Default US Doctors’ association calls for Moratorium on GMO Foods

Press Release:: The American Academy of Environmental Medicine (AAEM)

"US Doctors

US Doctors’ association calls for Moratorium on GMO Foods
    by F. William Engdahl
    May 21, 2009

The American Academy of Environmental Medicine (AAEM) has just issued a call for an immediate moratorium on Genetically Manipulated (GMO) Foods. In a just-released position paper on GMO foods, the AAEM states that ‘GM foods pose a serious health risk’ and calls for a moratorium on GMO foods. Citing several animal studies, the AAEM concludes ‘there is more than a casual association between GMO foods and adverse health effects’ and that ‘GM foods pose a serious health risk in the areas of toxicology, allergy and immune function, reproductive health, and metabolic, physiologic and genetic health.’ The report is a devastating blow to the multibillion dollar international agribusiness industry, most especially to Monsanto Corporation, the world’s leading purveyor of GMO seeds and related herbicides.

The AAEM chairperson, Dr Amy Dean notes that ‘Multiple animal studies have shown that GM foods cause damage to various organ systems in the body. With this mounting evidence, it is imperative to have a moratorium on GM foods for the safety of our patients' and the public's health.’ The President of the AAEM, Dr Jennifer Armstrong stressed that ‘Physicians are probably seeing the effects in their patients, but need to know how to ask the right questions. The most common foods in North America which are consumed that are GMO are corn, soy, canola, and cottonseed oil.’ The AAEM's position paper on Genetically Modified foods can be found at http:aaemonline.org.

The paper further states that Genetically Modified Organisms (GMO) technology ‘abrogates natural reproductive processes, selection occurs at the single cell level, the procedure is highly mutagenic and routinely breeches genera barriers, and the technique has only been used commercially for 10 years.’

The AAEM paper further states, ‘several animal studies indicate serious health risks associated with GM food consumption including infertility, immune dysregulation, accelerated aging, dysregulation of genes associated with cholesterol synthesis, insulin regulation, cell signalling, and protein formation, and changes in the liver, kidney, spleen and gastrointestinal system.’

They add, ‘There is more than a casual association between GM foods and adverse health effects. There is causation as defined by Hill's Criteria in the areas of strength of association, consistency, specificity, biological gradient, and biological plausibility. The strength of association and consistency between GM foods and disease is confirmed in several animal studies.’...(more at link)

Thoughts?

MBTI
    INTx

I dislike conspiracy theories... but I'm always highly cautious of statements made by any major american organization in regards to food or medication which may bring about an economic or political impact.

heart on fire

All they do is state studies that back up their claims, where's the conspiracy theory?

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

I remember this being a big issue when I graduated in 2001 (Science of Nutrition), as no one knew the affects of genetically altered food, yet it was very quickly being released for public consumption. (The FDA once again put the health of the American people above corporate lobbyists. :rolli

At the time, I was open-minded, and was one of the few arguing for it. Altering the DNA of a food in itself isn't hazardous. The body does not accidentally read and use this altered DNA. I felt it deserved a fair shot. If they can make a tomato grow larger and tastier while still keeping it a tomato, who cares? Why can't it be a similar to an evolutionary leap?

Another plus was that the food can be grown in areas and conditions that it may not naturally be able to be grown. This increases the food supply, and in a world that's reached it's limit to feed everyone, increased food supply benefits the world population at large, even if it does slightly limit the health of an individual person's life.

Of course, my idealism and corporate reality rarely match. The issue is that this food is largely being created to make cheaper food to increase profit margins. What motivation does a corporation have to make sure their tomato hasn't really become a 'killer tomato'? Also, I don't hear so much about GM foods being shipped overseas to help starving people of less fortunate nations.

I'm poorly versed with the AAEM. How politically influenced are they? Are they like the EPA or are they more academically neutral? I'd have to really read the studies to give this article a true "yay" or "nay".

Having said that, some of these issues can make sense. GM corn damages the intestines of mice? Sure, that's plausible. If the modification makes the corn into a 'corn-like' substance, it would make sense the body can't digest it. It would be like swallowing corn-flavored plastic or something.

My opinion of GM food these days is thus: It has its potential uses, but right now it's basically a commercialized technique to pad the bottom line of corporations. As an individual, if you can afford proper organic and locally grown foods, it's worth the extra money. You can't put a price on your health, and there's a very real chance you'll make up for the money later in life with improved health.

So, in summary, I present your future:

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wfm3_BMinhg"]Attack of the Killer Tomatoes[/YOUTUBE]

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    My opinion of GM food these days is thus: It has its potential uses, but right now it's basically a commercialized technique to pad the bottom line of corporations. As an individual, if you can afford proper organic and locally grown foods, it's worth the extra money. You can't put a price on your health, and there's a very real chance you'll make up for the money later in life with improved health...
    What about people who can't afford the luxury of organic foods? Should they be experiments for the benefit of the rest of the world?

MBTI
    YaYa

And everyone thought the Europeans were paranoid for not wanting our mutated fruit.

When will they invent a marijuana-apple. Thats what I want to know.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    What about people who can't afford the luxury of organic foods? Should they be experiments for the benefit of the rest of the world?
    Absolutely. Afterall, we can't be sure that that any harm is actually being done. Even if harm is being done, it's not a major concern - they can sue the GMO companies for billions and billions. Trillions, if they cross polinate into other fields. And when other fields get contaminated despite being non-GMO using farmers, they can also sue the GMO using farmers in order to pass the buck from those they (unintentionally) misled and thus were sued in turn.

It's just not worth the effort of regulating it, despite the economic costs of tends (hundreds?) of millions becoming sick and unable to work.

MBTI
    INTx

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    All they do is state studies that back up their claims, where's the conspiracy theory?
    Studies and statistics can be weighted to support a position. Ideally a truly neutral party will provide a fair showing, so my question mirrors Udog's in how politically motivated this group tends to be.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    Absolutely. Afterall, we can't be sure that that any harm is actually being done. Even if harm is being done, it's not a major concern - they can sue the GMO companies for billions and billions. Trillions, if they cross polinate into other fields. And when other fields get contaminated despite being non-GMO using farmers, they can also sue the GMO using farmers in order to pass the buck from those they (unintentionally) misled and thus were sued in turn.

It's just not worth the effort of regulating it, despite the economic costs of tends (hundreds?) of millions becoming sick and unable to work.
    It is alledged that GMO companies tend to sue Non-GMO farmers when their farms become cross polinated.

MBTI
    ISTP

Well, of course. Their patents are being violated!