User Tag List

First 12

Results 11 to 16 of 16

  1. #11
    Seriously Delirious Udog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None
    Posts
    5,295

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    What about people who can't afford the luxury of organic foods? Should they be experiments for the benefit of the rest of the world?
    This article is suggesting that the companies didn't even do basic animal research before releasing it to market. Alternatively, they may have shelved anything that didn't give the results they wanted. I don't condone that in the least.

    Edit: Right now, I have no reason to blindly trust the AAEM either, though. In a world where I went ahead and verified the cited research, I would whole heartedly state GMO foods need to be removed from market.

    Also, re: suing. GMO companies usually tend to be the big corporate entity, where the non-GM companies tend to be the smaller farmer. It's very likely an attempt to put them out of business, so they can get the land and expand the company.

  2. #12
    Senior Member ptgatsby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    4,474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    Also, re: suing. GMO companies usually tend to be the big corporate entity, where the non-GM companies tend to be the smaller farmer. It's very likely an attempt to put them out of business, so they can get the land and expand the company.
    Well, the small farmer should clearly counter-sue claiming extortion then.

    All of my sarcasm aside, the reason is that once contaminated, the seed contains the patent. If they don't sue, the farmer gets to keep the improved strain.

  3. #13
    heart on fire
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    This article is suggesting that the companies didn't even do basic animal research before releasing it to market. Alternatively, they may have shelved anything that didn't give the results they wanted. I don't condone that in the least.

    Edit: Right now, I have no reason to blindly trust the AAEM either, though. In a world where I went ahead and verified the cited research, I would whole heartedly state GMO foods need to be removed from market.

    Also, re: suing. GMO companies usually tend to be the big corporate entity, where the non-GM companies tend to be the smaller farmer. It's very likely an attempt to put them out of business, so they can get the land and expand the company.

    It's just funny that people can say they aren't sure GMO foods are that bad and yet they admit they would prefer to feed themselves organic. (assuming people can be bothered to think about it at all that is) It's sort of a let the poor eat cake attitude.

  4. #14
    Seriously Delirious Udog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None
    Posts
    5,295

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    Well, the small farmer should clearly counter-sue claiming extortion then.

    All of my sarcasm aside, the reason is that once contaminated, the seed contains the patent. If they don't sue, the farmer gets to keep the improved strain.
    It's impossible to really know without the details, but wouldn't it be the GMO companies' responsibility to ensure their seed doesn't cross pollinate?

  5. #15
    Seriously Delirious Udog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None
    Posts
    5,295

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    It's just funny that people can say they aren't sure GMO foods are that bad and yet they admit they would prefer to feed themselves organic. (assuming people can be bothered to think about it at all that is) It's sort of a let the poor eat cake attitude.
    As you said, most people don't care. It's not even hypocrisy, since they are neutral on whether GMO foods even belong in the grocery store.

    When you get down to it, many people don't even really know why they should eat organic outside of it being trendy. So they go to Walmart and buy the first product that says "Organic" on it.

  6. #16
    Senior Member ptgatsby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    4,474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    It's impossible to really know without the details, but wouldn't it be the GMO companies' responsibility to ensure their seed doesn't cross pollinate?
    Impossible, strictly speaking... Well, technically not impossible - once we can engineer plants to not spread by seed or cuttings, I suppose we could lockdown the mother seeds, or some such. Dammit, stop making me think about this stuff.

    In any case, not possible in the foreseeable future. The only protection they have right now are the patents.

Similar Threads

  1. US Senate Democrats push for 50% cut on payroll tax
    By Beargryllz in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-29-2011, 07:25 AM
  2. [INTJ] INTJ Female Role Call (For Future-Information-Gathering Purposes)
    By Usehername in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 88
    Last Post: 02-15-2009, 03:55 AM
  3. Sarkozy, Merkel, Blair call for new capitalism
    By Risen in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-11-2009, 12:09 PM
  4. Any suggestions for books on Philosophy?
    By ladypinkington in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 10-17-2008, 12:39 PM
  5. [ISTP] Question for ISTPs on a painful/awkward issue...
    By anii in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-11-2007, 09:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO