First 12

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    What about people who can't afford the luxury of organic foods? Should they be experiments for the benefit of the rest of the world?
    This article is suggesting that the companies didn't even do basic animal research before releasing it to market. Alternatively, they may have shelved anything that didn't give the results they wanted. I don't condone that in the least.

Edit: Right now, I have no reason to blindly trust the AAEM either, though. In a world where I went ahead and verified the cited research, I would whole heartedly state GMO foods need to be removed from market.

Also, re: suing. GMO companies usually tend to be the big corporate entity, where the non-GM companies tend to be the smaller farmer. It's very likely an attempt to put them out of business, so they can get the land and expand the company.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    Also, re: suing. GMO companies usually tend to be the big corporate entity, where the non-GM companies tend to be the smaller farmer. It's very likely an attempt to put them out of business, so they can get the land and expand the company.
    Well, the small farmer should clearly counter-sue claiming extortion then.

All of my sarcasm aside, the reason is that once contaminated, the seed contains the patent. If they don't sue, the farmer gets to keep the improved strain.

heart on fire

This article is suggesting that the companies didn't even do basic animal research before releasing it to market. Alternatively, they may have shelved anything that didn't give the results they wanted. I don't condone that in the least.

Edit: Right now, I have no reason to blindly trust the AAEM either, though. In a world where I went ahead and verified the cited research, I would whole heartedly state GMO foods need to be removed from market.

It's just funny that people can say they aren't sure GMO foods are that bad and yet they admit they would prefer to feed themselves organic. (assuming people can be bothered to think about it at all that is) It's sort of a let the poor eat cake attitude.

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    Well, the small farmer should clearly counter-sue claiming extortion then.

All of my sarcasm aside, the reason is that once contaminated, the seed contains the patent. If they don't sue, the farmer gets to keep the improved strain.
    It's impossible to really know without the details, but wouldn't it be the GMO companies' responsibility to ensure their seed doesn't cross pollinate?

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    It's just funny that people can say they aren't sure GMO foods are that bad and yet they admit they would prefer to feed themselves organic. (assuming people can be bothered to think about it at all that is) It's sort of a let the poor eat cake attitude.
    As you said, most people don't care. It's not even hypocrisy, since they are neutral on whether GMO foods even belong in the grocery store.

When you get down to it, many people don't even really know why they should eat organic outside of it being trendy. So they go to Walmart and buy the first product that says "Organic" on it.

MBTI
    ISTP

It's impossible to really know without the details, but wouldn't it be the GMO companies' responsibility to ensure their seed doesn't cross pollinate?
    Impossible, strictly speaking... Well, technically not impossible - once we can engineer plants to not spread by seed or cuttings, I suppose we could lockdown the mother seeds, or some such. Dammit, stop making me think about this stuff.

In any case, not possible in the foreseeable future. The only protection they have right now are the patents.