MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    So, what does it say?
    That I have failed that day to do what I said in my last post.

Either that I have not done more relaxing activities (i.e. not the adrenaline-boosting stuff) before bedtime, or I have not been active enough that day, thus not exhausted enough, too much pent up energy.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    That I have failed that day to do what I said in my last post.

Either that I have not done more relaxing activities (i.e. not the adrenaline-boosting stuff) before bedtime, or I have not been active enough that day, thus not exhausted enough, too much pent up energy.
    OK, so what you are telling me is that you have not done the right external activities. Is that correct?

MBTI
    INtP

However insomniacs are able to sleep. It's just they think they can't.

So insomnia is a form of neurosis.

Insomnia is trying to tell you something, but you haven't been able to listen yet.

And if you don't know how to listen to yourself, you might think of employing a professional therapist to teach you.
    I don't know about this. Is it a possibility? Sure. But I don't think that it applies to everyone who has trouble sleeping. I know that my Dad had trouble sleeping when he was in his 40's, but he knew exactly why... too much stress at work. But sometimes life doesn't have immediate options for reducing that... and so you have trouble sleeping and do the best you can.

As for myself, I rarely have trouble falling asleep, but wake up probably at least 5-10 times each night, and often can't fall back asleep easily. So I'll wind up getting 4 hours of broken, choppy sleep several times a week (and 6 hours of broken sleep, tops). Sometimes I just give up and get out of bed. I've been to the doctor several times (and given a couple of short-term prescriptions, neither of which did a thing), structured my sleep schedule, made sure I get enough exercise early in the day, etc. and haven't yet found a solution. But it's no fun. Wish I had better advice, but the best I've come up with is "relax and try not to think about it" - which is tough to do when you're lying in bed, tired and yet wide awake.

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Quote Originally Posted by kelric View Post
    I don't know about this. Is it a possibility? Sure. But I don't think that it applies to everyone who has trouble sleeping. I know that my Dad had trouble sleeping when he was in his 40's, but he knew exactly why... too much stress at work. But sometimes life doesn't have immediate options for reducing that... and so you have trouble sleeping and do the best you can.

As for myself, I rarely have trouble falling asleep, but wake up probably at least 5-10 times each night, and often can't fall back asleep easily. So I'll wind up getting 4 hours of broken, choppy sleep several times a week (and 6 hours of broken sleep, tops). Sometimes I just give up and get out of bed. I've been to the doctor several times (and given a couple of short-term prescriptions, neither of which did a thing), structured my sleep schedule, made sure I get enough exercise early in the day, etc. and haven't yet found a solution. But it's no fun. Wish I had better advice, but the best I've come up with is "relax and try not to think about it" - which is tough to do when you're lying in bed, tired and yet wide awake.
    Yes, that is what I mean by "insomnia". Of course I do not mean a total lack of sleep.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    INFJ

I disagree that insomnia is always a sign of neurosis. BPD causes bouts of insomnia - a friend of mine has both, with month-long periods of not being able to sleep more than 2 or 3 hours a night.

Many peri- & menopausal women have bouts of insomnia and unless you're a Freudian, hormonal shifts are not considered "neurotic."
    Proud Female Rider in Maverick's Bike Club.

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

OK, so what you are telling me is that you have not done the right external activities. Is that correct?
    External AND internal, but yeah.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by kelric View Post

Sure, you're lying in bed, tired and yet wide awake. You have tried several things such as structuring your sleep, exercising and prescriptions but nothing seems to work.

I can't help noticing all the things you have tried are external to yourself. So perhaps you might think of listening to yourself rather than controlling yourself by external means.

It seems to me you have learnt self control very well and are quite unwilling to give it up for periods of time. After all, when you go to sleep, you are no longer in control, you surrender to your unconscious. And hey, it looks after you quite well.

But you don't want to go to sleep and you don't know why. And you don't want to find out - you don't know how to find out.

So you just keep digging a deeper hole by external means when the answer may well be inside you.

But my guess is you don't want to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Jae Rae View Post
    I disagree that insomnia is always a sign of neurosis. BPD causes bouts of insomnia - a friend of mine has both, with month-long periods of not being able to sleep more than 2 or 3 hours a night.

Many peri- & menopausal women have bouts of insomnia and unless you're a Freudian, hormonal shifts are not considered "neurotic."
    Studies of insomniacs show that they sleep the same amount as non-insomniacs, but they keep telling us they can't sleep.

There is a disconnect there somewhere.

And that's what a neurosis is.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    External AND internal, but yeah.
    You keep telling me about the external activities you do but you have not told me about any internal activities yet, even though I asked.

It may be you don't know what an internal activity is.