User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    I hope something of these works for you. I have DSPS (Delayed sleep phase syndrome) and have tried all kind of things (including sleeping pills, exercice, trying to change my sleeping circle by sleeping each day half an hour later, etc). Pills do the trick for me, but it is all about how willing are you to take sleeping pills practically every day?
    I usually go to bed no earlier than 3:30-4 a.m., and thankfully I have a very flexible timetable at work, because before 8:30-9 a.m. I cannot open my eyes, I don't hear anything, etc. Some days I just stay sleeping up to 10 or even 11 a.m., and go to work really very late.
    I am practically hyperactive at night (unlike the rest of the day), totally unable to sleep during day and no matter how tired am I, there is no way for me to go to bed in any reasonable time

MBTI
    INTP

warm milk=tryptophan

melatonin

marijuana

valerian root

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

You could also try not eating anything later in the day, at least with me, if I don't eat at certain times at a day, I'll get sleepy a few hours later.

Quote Originally Posted by lastrailway View Post
    I hope something of these works for you. I have DSPS (Delayed sleep phase syndrome) and have tried all kind of things (including sleeping pills, exercice, trying to change my sleeping circle by sleeping each day half an hour later, etc). Pills do the trick for me, but it is all about how willing are you to take sleeping pills practically every day?
    I usually go to bed no earlier than 3:30-4 a.m., and thankfully I have a very flexible timetable at work, because before 8:30-9 a.m. I cannot open my eyes, I don't hear anything, etc. Some days I just stay sleeping up to 10 or even 11 a.m., and go to work really very late.
    I am practically hyperactive at night (unlike the rest of the day), totally unable to sleep during day and no matter how tired am I, there is no way for me to go to bed in any reasonable time

Have you tried becoming bi-phasic (a long nap plus a shorted deep sleep split into different times)?

You could shift you nap-time, and you sleep time both (esp. if you split 5-slppe, 3-Nap), then flip which one is you nap, and which on is your sleep when you are about shift so that normal working day is gone.

It's good in theory, I think.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Schizm View Post
    marijuana
    One of my roomies found an old clock in a cooler he picked up, we set it to 4:20 and it now hangs in the computer room,
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post

1) Use your bed for sleep. Nothing else but sleeping. When you go to bed, if you can't fall asleep within x time (normally from 10-30min), you get up and do something tedious. You don't read or anything similar. Nothing that engages your mind. And to emphasise this one more time - do not do anything else in bed - no reading, no napping, no watching TV... maybe sex, but that's about it.

2) Excersize, but give time before you go to bed - more than 2 hours. This works because stress and an active mind are bad news for sleeping, but the excersize does cause your body to wind down - after the high. It shouldn't be intensive, a good 30 minute walk or anything similar can be enough.

3) Create a routine for going to bed. This works well with #1, so it should start with or after you have made your bed your sleep area. Always do the same things in the same order for 10-15 minutes before going to sleep. Try very very hard not to interrupt this.

There was other stuff that the sleep clinic suggested, but I remember these as the core ones.
    Those are good sleep hygiene suggestions, pt.

Another you don't see mentioned much, but bears talking about, is when you go to sleep. If you can, get to bed by 10 pm. Normal circadiam rhythmes (something lastrailway doesn't have) dictate when you experience different kinds of sleep - it's not enough you get X hours of sleep, it's also important you get the right kind of sleep. And the right (read important) kind of sleep is deep slow wave sleep, which happens earlier in the night.

I can go to bed at midnight and sleep for 10 hours and wake up feeling like I'm hungover and exhausted. If I get to sleep by 10 PM I wake up feeling great after seven hours.

The sleep disorder channel has more information, for those interested.

Another supplement that can help is magensium, btw. Frequent nightly wakings has been linked to depleted magensium stores. Epsoms salt baths pre bedtime can do wonders (off topic but this can work really well for fibromyalgia sufferers).

This signature left intentionally blank.

Really.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by runvardh View Post
    One of my roomies found an old clock in a cooler he picked up, we set it to 4:20 and it now hangs in the computer room,
    how depressing.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    9w6

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post

It's good in theory, I think.
    Oh, we're your experiment for something you read now. Neat.

MBTI
    isfp

a bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by Naem View Post
    Oh, we're your experiment for something you read now. Neat.
    Just a suggestion.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield