• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Gym Class: Why Kids' Exercise Matters Less Than We Think

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Indeed, I'd usually make up for the exertion by being sloppier and slower for the rest of the day. All it really accomplished was teaching me how to change into another shirt without completely removing the first one...

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Shocking. Especially the part about reversion to the mean of general health, regardless of exercise. *sigh* Hopefully with the mounting evidence of these kinds of things, I'll face less resistance making "outlandish" claims.

/not bitter at all.

Seriously though, we need more evidence based medical science. I use to think Economics was a dismal science... medicine may very well end up being worse, notably when it is divulged to the general population.

Anonymous

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Good. Now, strip the funding from PE and sports teams and put it towards academic stuff.

Shaula

Te > Fi > Ni
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Well then I guess I'm glad I had a few of my PE classes waived.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Half the day should be PE, with the rest made up of woodwork, metalwork, art and outdoor ed.

/SPness

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Half the day should be PE, with the rest made up of woodwork, metalwork, art and outdoor ed.

/SPness

If they did that, I really hope school would be optional... :sick:

Seriously, I'd rather sit in a school library all day trying to read than do any of that stuff, if I had a choice.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
If they did that, I really hope school would be optional... :sick:

Seriously, I'd rather sit in a school library all day trying to read than do any of that stuff, if I had a choice.

That's probably how a lot of SPs feel about school as it is! Too much pointless stuff like math, chemistry, english and physics and none of that really meaningful stuff I mentioned above.

SpottingTrains

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w2
I don't what I would of done without PE in school :) Just a nice way to relax and let go of some energy.

heart

heart on fire

/SPness

This would have been sheer hell for me, all the things I am bad at. :shock: How I hated PE! Also hated when forced to take art. Always had that teacher who just naturally assumed any lagging in art was because of lack of wanting to try. Well, they can take that straight line and stick it...

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)

(more at link)

Thoughts?

Here's the problem I find with this article. In the article it states that children who had more exercise time at school were more tired and tended to move less at home, while those who had less exercise at school tended to exercise more at home. I know that at my house, my little brother is almost addicted to the computer. So he doesn't exercise much at home and, unfortunately, my mother doesn't enforce him to go outside and play. Nowadays, we have the distraction of video games, a million channels to choose from on TV, and the computer. To children such as my brother, these are the first pick over going outside to play baseball or something. Therefore, it is better for kids to exercise in school because there aren't such electronic distractions that encourage laziness in PE classes and recess.

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
Here's the problem I find with this article. In the article it states that children who had more exercise time at school were more tired and tended to move less at home, while those who had less exercise at school tended to exercise more at home. I know that at my house, my little brother is almost addicted to the computer. So he doesn't exercise much at home and, unfortunately, my mother doesn't enforce him to go outside and play. Nowadays, we have the distraction of video games, a million channels to choose from on TV, and the computer. To children such as my brother, these are the first pick over going outside to play baseball or something. Therefore, it is better for kids to exercise in school because there aren't such electronic distractions that encourage laziness in PE classes and recess.

Key phrase: on average.

And this part:
But her data does suggest that kids have what she calls an activity "set point" - an energy-expenditure baseline to which, over time, they will naturally revert. Despite the fact that they got roughly the same amount of exercise, the kids in the study varied widely in their metabolic health (measured through cholesterol and triglyceride levels) - factors that contribute to later risks of heart disease - but those differences appeared to owe largely to their diets, not their physical-activity levels.

/DG/

Meh... when I have an opinion I usually stick to it. And my opinion is still that PE plays a very important part in schools. Plus, it's also the best class in elementary school :newwink:.

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
PE sucked a lot, especially since Australia was going through a short-lived period of infatuation with basketball and basketball sneakers when I was in high-school. Which meant fully half of our PE periods were spent playing 3-on-3 basketball. Occasionally we would get to do swimming or something (even fencing a couple of times) but then again, occasionally we would have to run laps of the oval while our PE teacher read a magazine. Maybe if they'd designed the lessons to teach you stuff you might find useful instead of just offering dubious physical conditioning. Stuff like how to jump out of a moving car. Or any parkour stuff. Or self-defence. Or lock-picking, dammit!

My school also favoured a "100% participation" policy in athletics and swimming carnivals as a means of demonstrating to parents the school spirit seething through our veins. Which meant the kids who couldn't swim much or were too fat to compete in any athletics events were forced to humiliate themselves in front of the whole school with their unconcealable haplessness. A friend of mine took about 5 mins to complete 50m of butterfly (yeah, the fuckers put a non-swimmer in butterfly!), mostly by pulling himself along the lane-ropes. The last minute of which the teachers made us all cheer him on for - the crowning humiliation.

Australia is a pretty fucked up place when it comes to sports. Imo, sports should be optional. Parents should weigh up the merits of enforced exercise with the demerits of possible psychological scarring. Although I guess you could say that about all schooling. But at least you can choose academic classes which suit your strengths and avoid your more obvious weaknesses.

heart

heart on fire
^ Best post so far in the thread! :wubbie:

No place can be worse than Texas for sports however...

I hated every living moment of structured PE, especially bombardment (I don't know if spelled that right and too tired to look it up.) Every Friday the teacher acts like it is such a treat to make us play enforced bombardment. If they did that in time of war to prisoners, it would be considered war crime.

/DG/

Awww... I feel bad for you guys. When I had gym class it was really fun. We didn't play dodgeball or anything like that. We had soft balls and really fun games. Gym was a big hit in my elementary school.