User Tag List

First 56789 Last

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    I mostly agree with you, however in reading pieces of Gladwell's "Outliers" he makes a case for how being slightly older than your peers developmentally gives you additional confidence and a leg up in performance that carries you throughout life. I have also seen parents who hold their kids back from starting school until they are slightly older. Maybe something similar (with confidence) could be at play here.
    That makes sense.

I've always been younger, smaller, weaker than my peers.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Did they throw chess pieces in your face?

I hear the bishops can quite hurt if they get in your eye.

Nobody forced you into this chess tournament, did they? Were you getting graded on it?
    Yeah, I agree, I wasn't making a point, just an amusing memory.

But I suppose, unless you're being physically hurt then you can still have fun and learn things playing sports even if you're losing.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

MBTI
    ENTP

That makes sense.

I've always been younger, smaller, weaker than my peers.
    I'll keep Moody off of you.

"Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    Yeah, I agree, I wasn't making a point, just an amusing memory.

But I suppose, unless you're being physically hurt then you can still have fun and learn things playing sports even if you're losing.
    Not really if you can never even get the ball once, because everyone else is at such a higher level than you are.

It's only fun if you're even SLIGHTLY competitive. If everyone else is completely out of your league, they know you can't handle the ball, won't pass to you because you can't handle the ball, and you won't get any better because you're never handling the ball, or they might make a pity pass to you where more often than not, you'll demonstrate why they never hand you the ball.

Even in one-on-one tennis, the guy who makes the other one miss always gets to serve. Which means that if you keep missing, you don't even get to TOUCH the ball, and you just end up flailing all over your side of the court trying.

MBTI
    ENTP

I was pretty small and skinny until I was about 14 when I shot up six inches in a year. PE was like Lord of the Flies for an hour every day. That said, I did learn to take up for people when other people try to push them around.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Not really if you can never even get the ball once, because everyone else is at such a higher level than you are.
    Isn't it the same if you're far behind at anything in school? You're probably not going to enjoy it and if you want to improve it will take outside help, tutoring outside of school etc. You can't have every subject come natural to you, that's unfair.

The experience you guys have with PE is similar to me in maths, I had no natural inclination towards it at all, I would never do any more than the bare minimum and because I had no interest I would not make an effort outside of class. Sure it might not have been as competitive but it sure feels bad knowing you're the very bottom of the class at basic maths.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I've always been one of the younger people of my classes in school. When I played football at our local WAY TOO SMALL football club (soccer for american people) I played defense against people 1-3 years older then me. (I quit because I busted my ankle pretty badly when I was 13, but I was playing in the A-class of the club which is generally against people of around 16-18 years old. (It should be said that I always had a very stable posture. Natural thick legs, strong build and broad shoulders. I wasn't that much smaller to them 16 year old tiny (for their age) attackers. Still, sometimes they were very tall and seemed very big.

Reason I played in the much too high for my age classes was mainly because the club wanted to be able to have enough players in that bracket in order to compete, and I was one of the few willing to volunteer. :P (In hindsight, I think underestimation of the opponents I faced of me often helped me greatly. )

In both cases, school and football, being the youngest only pressed me in wanting to compete more. Really wanted to belong to the big guys. So I was very motivated and focused in those years of my life, and always gave it all I got. And did it pretty well too.

Between 14 and 18 puberty hit pretty bad though.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    Isn't it the same if you're far behind at anything in school? You're probably not going to enjoy it and if you want to improve it will take outside help, tutoring outside of school etc. You can't have every subject come natural to you, that's unfair.

The experience you guys have with PE is similar to me in maths, I had no natural inclination towards it at all, I would never do any more than the bare minimum and because I had no interest I would not make an effort outside of class. Sure it might not have been as competitive but it sure feels bad knowing you're the very bottom of the class at basic maths.

I'm not fair then.

Oh except for PE. Then I'm totally fair.

This is what I was talking about with remedial gym classes, and that they should happen. It's not fair that all the other subjects have them, but with gym, you don't.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

I HATE gym!

Gym class is full of stupid jocks who have big muscles and run around with their chests in the air exerting their manliness way to much. I'm not saying everyone who takes gym serious is like this, but I can't tell you how many people fit the description I just described.

My gym teacher is also really stuck up- so much that it's almost amusing towards how serious he takes things. It's almost like he's trying to relive his life through coaching kids, as if he was a loser earlier in life; which I don't like. Most coaches in my school sports are all burnt-out losers.

We're always told to be competitive, and it's really annoying because one day a girl asked why we had to make volleyball a competitive sport, and the gym teacher snapped at her.

Gym really fractures kids self esteems. There's a lot of kids who dread it, and gym really tells them that they can't be good at things, which is really sad, because people over-emphasize over staying fit.

I think they should have mental or emotional education classes, where we learn to thing healthily, feel healthily, and live healthy lives. No, I don't mean that we do this in our normal classes, but that maybe some kids would want to build some self esteem.

In my opinion, the arts and music should be more emphasized. I feel like the arts are fading away, and more kids are turning to sports, or nothing at all. Creativity is such an undeveloped skill in most people..the world would be less dull.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    I wonder if any of the authors were competitive athletes, or were they obese?
    These are the only two options in life?

Anyway, here's scoop:

Research news - University of Exeter

Sporadic Play Activity As Beneficial To Child Health As Continuous Bouts Of Exercise, Study Suggests

"Professor Roger Eston, co-author and Head of the University of Exeter's School of Sport and Health Sciences, said: "The use of accelerometers permits much closer scrutiny of activity behaviour than has previously been allowed through other methods. The recording of habitual activity counts on an almost second-by-second basis provides researchers with the ability to capture the sporadic and brief bursts of activity which naturally occur in healthy young children.

"Whilst it is not possible to attribute cause and effect relationships from this study, this is the first time that such short bursts of naturally occurring habitual activity behaviour in young children have been associated with microvascular function. The findings from this study enrich our understanding of the potential links between naturally occurring sporadic physical activity and health in children."

This study, entitled 'The pattern of physical activity in relation to health outcomes in boys', was by Michelle Stone, Dr Ann Rowlands, Dr Andrew Middlebrooke, Mohammed Nidzam Jawis and Professor Roger Eston, all of the University of Exeter's School of Sport and Health Sciences..."

Staff - biography Dr. Ann Rowlands

Staff - biography Prof. Roger Eston

Staff - biography Dr. Andrew Middlebooke

They look pretty fit to me.
    The worst thing about PE is the forced competition and conformity of it. Without that it wouldn't be so horrible. I took dancing class outside of public school and the atmosphere was just so very different.

Another thing, why are so many public school gym teachers obese?