User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Okay, then.

I obviously don't understand the physical world at all. It's just a jumbled nightmare to me. I'm sorry I didn't realize it worked differently for you.

It basically means that I feel constantly threatened by the physical world, as if it's actually trying to destroy and torture me. I fear the physical the way most religious people fear Hell. Except I know it's real.

If this is how you genuinely feel, you may be in need of medical care. As an objective outsider, it sounds as if something is chemically off. Please don't think I'm implying you need medication, however, as it may be something that could be dealt with behavior modification. You should not have to feel this way. The physical world is not your enemy. Again, you as a "self" do not exist without it.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

I think there are valuable lessons that can be learned in PE; it isn't just an energy release/health tool. Some kids learn differently. Some will learn the value of teamwork in a group presentation or project, others will learn it during a game of capture the flag or basketball. Some kids will find pride in creating a painting, others in winning the game. Some will be engaged when learning about atoms, others will be engaged when learning the technique of a long jump.

It seems to me, the only people who don't like PE just weren't very good at it, which is understandable. I hate art, because I suck at art. I liked PE, because I'm athletic and I like sports. And really, who doesn't enjoy dumping some kid on his ass with a perfectly spotted dodgeball to the face
    Last edited by JocktheMotie; 05-14-2009 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Changed "the slow" to "some" because of the tears.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by juggernaut View Post
    You have no mind without it, so if you truly do value the mental/abstract, you might want to reconsider what you've said. There is no mind without matter. The matter that comprises your mind is the exact same stuff that your body and the rest of the material world is made of. This dichotomy you seem to think is possible does not, and cannot, exist. That is the real reason the body, health, activity, and a physical connection to the world matter. Every perception, and by extension every thought (abstract or concrete) you have, depends wholly on your body. If you neglect the body, you're neglecting your mind by default. There is no such thing as a mind without a body. Minds require bodies.
    But I don't want a physical connection to the world. I don't want to be active in it. I hate it. It's disgusting and unacceptable.

You just couldn't understand.

Banned

^I wasn't a jock in high school. I ran because of what it gave me psychologically. I didn't do it because "I love life!". I do appreciate life now, but physical activity was more of a release/drug when I was young. What makes you think I can't understand being disgusted by the world, or finding it unacceptable? Do I strike you as a happy little camper?

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    I think there are valuable lessons that can be learned in PE; it isn't just an energy release/health tool. Some kids learn differently. Some will learn the value of teamwork in a group presentation or project, others will learn it during a game of capture the flag or basketball. Some kids will find pride in creating a painting, others in winning the game. Some will be engaged when learning about atoms, others will be engaged when learning the technique of a long jump.

It seems to me, the only people who don't like PE just weren't very good at it, which is understandable. I hate art, because I suck at art. I liked PE, because I'm athletic and I like sports. And really, who doesn't enjoy dumping the slow kid on his ass with a perfectly spotted dodgeball to the face
    The slow kid?

Think about it. If your first memories of intense physical activity are full of humiliation, you're not going to want to relive that and try the activity again. What is fun for some is setting up the others for a sedentary lifetime of obesity and heart problems.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    The slow kid?

Think about it. If your first memories of intense physical activity are full of humiliation, you're not going to want to relive that and try the activity again. What is fun for some is setting up the others for a sedentary lifetime of obesity and heart problems.
    Okay? I've "lost" and been "humiliated" in the physical arena as well as the academic arena, and in no way did it retard my development or make me give up and doom the rest of my life. If you're going to try and eliminate conflict from everyone's life as they develop, they're going to be terrible at dealing with it when it inevitably comes.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Okay? I've "lost" and been "humiliated" in the physical arena as well as the academic arena, and in no way did it retard my development or make me give up and doom the rest of my life. If you're going to try and eliminate conflict from everyone's life as they develop, they're going to be terrible at dealing with it when it inevitably comes.
    It only becomes a problem when it becomes a cycle, and in many cases it does. There are certain times when humiliation works, but when it's for someone's personal development rather than trying to further a group goal, it's usually ineffective.

My point is that the slow kid isn't going to get any faster the more dodgeballs you throw in his face.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

I played in a chess tournament once on a whim, being well beaten by everyone was hilarious.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    I played in a chess tournament once on a whim, being well beaten by everyone was hilarious.
    Did they throw chess pieces in your face?

I hear the bishops can quite hurt if they get in your eye.

Nobody forced you into this chess tournament, did they? Were you getting graded on it?

MBTI
    ENTP

I mostly agree with you, however in reading pieces of Gladwell's "Outliers" he makes a case for how being slightly older than your peers developmentally gives you additional confidence and a leg up in performance that carries you throughout life. I have also seen parents who hold their kids back from starting school until they are slightly older. Maybe something similar (with confidence) could be at play here.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."