User Tag List

Default Weird Running Pain in the Mouth

This has been a problem for me since I first started running the mile in grade school. When I run, my mouth starts to hurt. Mostly it's the underside and sides of my tongue, and the area underneath my tongue towards it's base. It feels like it's being pinched, or shocked, or frozen. It hurts a lot! (My teeth and gums are fine, and so is the roof of my mouth and my throat.) Also, whenever it happens, I seem to produce like 10 times more saliva than I should. It's not the cold air constantly hitting my wet mouth because it happens when it's 80 degrees outside.

I just went running tonight and long before my legs got sore or I exhausted my lungs, I had to battle this mouth pain. And when I stop running and cool down, the pain in the mouth stays for a while. I finished running like 20 or 25 minutes ago and my breathing is back to normal but I can still feel it on my tongue. It doesn't hurt anymore, though.

When I was in school, I talked to some other kids who had the same problem. Last year I researched it and found plenty of people asking about it on forums and stuff - but nobody had answers for them. I just researched it again and still can't find an answer! There's lots of websites about running and lots of pages on common running pains/problems but nobody ever mentions this.

Any ideas? Does this happen to you? Is it more normal than I think? Will it go away if I run more often?
    "When a resolute young fellow steps up the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often surprised to find that it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

i am totally making stuff up here-but perhaps there is some sort of induced swelling which is compressing nerves and thus triggering this? or made an odd autonomic nervous system response? did you try your dentist?

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Is it purely with running, or does it happen with every physical exercise?

Tongues are one of the bodies main temperature regulators, might have to do something with that maybe.

(I'm just throwing ideas in the air here, in no way am I qualified to diagnose weird medical shit. :P )
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

I haven't talked to a dentist because I never think about it if I'm not running. My mouth feels to be in perfect health otherwise. (I'll be having a check-up soon so I'll ask, but they've never noticed anything.)

It usually only happens when I run, which could have something to do with the air hitting my mouth so hard and fast, or it could just be that running is the only thing I ever do that causes me to exert myself enough for it to happen.
    "When a resolute young fellow steps up the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often surprised to find that it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

I went running again tonight. It was amazing! I ran longer continuously (time-wise), and farther overall, than I did yesterday. And the mouth pain was barely there and I was barely even phased physically. Did my body get used to jogging that quickly? I jogged for a while, walked for a while, and then jogged back and by the time I got home, I felt as good as I did after 10 minutes of rest last night! Weird, but I'll take it.

Maybe the mouth pain is related to exhaustion/strain. Last night was my first run of the season. If things keep going like this, it won't be a problem.

your resident asshole

How long have you had this pain?

Maybe it's like an abscess or something.

Well, everything appears normal and feels normal. It only hurts when I run, and apparently, when I completely exhaust myself. And it's been doing that since I was a little kid. It's probably nothing. I think it will go away now if I keep running. If it does, I'll just forget about it.

your resident asshole

This is the closest thing I could come up with in my 5 minutes of Googling:

Burning Mouth Syndrome, Burning Tongue Syndrome - A Complete Consumer Guide

Thanks for the help. I think we can rule that one out. It would suck to have that!

your resident asshole

Hehe. Well, good luck with that. I have to sleep now, but I'll be back later.