• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Swine Flu: Stay Updated

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I'm dedicating this thread to information on the Swine Flu. Not that it's something that we need to be terrified of, but it's something to consider and certainly be aware of.

My father studies Epidemiology, the study of disease and illness in populations, and he has a predictions:
- The Swine Flu will spread globally
-As of Sunday, April 26, 2009, 5:11 EST, and according to CNN, The Flu has spread in Mexico, into California, Texas, Kansas, Ohio, and NYC. It has also been reported in New Zealand and Canada.

-It won't last more than a year
-Viruses live in cycles, the bellshape pattern. That means that they run like a fire, going through the population, and then dying.

If you take simple, smart, and excessive precautions, the chances of you getting the Flu are low.
-The CDC reported to treat this like a normal flu, and take simple precautions. Wash your hands frequently, shower daily, cover when you cough, sneeze, etc., and avoid things that may be infested (telephones as an example).

Sunday, April 26, 2009: CNN
Regular flu season precautions advised in current outbreak - CNN.com
CDC-Swine Flu
CDC - Influenza (Flu) | Swine Influenza (Flu)
Wikipedia-Swine Flu
Swine influenza - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
How Swine Flu Spreads: LA Times
How swine flu spreads in humans - Los Angeles Times

As of Sunday, April 26, 2009
-THERE IS NO VACCINE.
-20 of those infected in the US have all recovered.
-The mortality rate is not yet known
-The CDC is formulating a Vaccine.
-So far, 81 deaths are thought to be attributed to the Swine Flu.
-20 autopsies report that only 20 deaths in Mexico are directly linked to the Flu.
-Reports of possible infection along Mexican-US borders, as in the states of California and Texas.
-Reports of Flu in Kansas, Ohio, and possibly 8 High school students from New York City.
-Reports in Canada and New Zealand are fresh on the press.

Precautions:

If the Flu is headed towards your community, certain measures may be needed. Our house has a constant arsenal of non-perishable foods in our garage, in case of the epidemic. If it's hitting your community, then move to lock down. Don't leave your property, unless it's urgent. Stalk up on food and water, and wait it out, it won't last.

Wash hands frequently
Avoid contact with others if the Flu is near; kissing, shaking hands, etc.
Facemasks may be neccesary if you plan on using public tools; telephones as an example.
It's obvious, but try not to come into contact with foreign saliva (Don't let people spit on you!)
Shower daily.
Be aware, and smart!!

CDC tells us to treat this like a normal flu, and just to be aware and smart.

I dedicate this thread to discussion on the Swine Flu, and hopefully it passes with as little casualties as possible.

Update this with any new updates and information. Toggle your Doomsday messages, etc.

It's just Mother Nature's way of fighting us off of her sholders..afterall, we shouldn't be alive. Though I don't with breaking the life cycle, I want others to be aware, and not to be left stupid.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
:rolleyes: Greenism. It's a religion.

I think it's broader than an opinion. It's the truth, we're the only species every to defy the laws of nature, when we should have been extinct thousands of years ago. We're disrupting the equilibrium on this planet, that's why killer pandemics like the Death Death, and Influenza of 1918 were so severe..there are millions and millions of deadly diseases just waiting to whipe us out.

Think about it. How can you deny it.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I think it's broader than an opinion. It's the truth, we're the only species every to defy the laws of nature, when we should have been extinct thousands of years ago. We're disrupting the equilibrium on this planet, that's why killer pandemics like the Death Death, and Influenza of 1918 were so severe..there are millions and millions of deadly diseases just waiting to whipe us out.

That argument....it's in our very nature to do the things we do, so "unnatural" is merely a point of view. Other animals use their environment to its full capacity as far as their instinct allows them, and we do the same.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper

Because it's a silly perspective.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
That argument....it's in our very nature to do the things we do, so "unnatural" is merely a point of view. Other animals use their environment to its full capacity as far as their instinct allows them, and we do the same.

Good point, but other species still succumb to death. they don't have vaccines, treatments, or whatever.

But that's besides the point, I dedicated this thread to Swine Flu awareness, matters and conflicts of opinion aren't important. And yes, I'm calling my stances opinions.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Can we leave my preposterous opinions out of this thread, please? Bother me later, I don't mind.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I'm holding off these goddamn swine for now, but I can't keep this up!!!!!!!! Get shelter!!!

pigwrestle.jpg

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Honestly? It's going to take some more deaths before a flu that kills people whose diets consist of burritos and diarrhea water concern me. Like you said, the people in the US recover. If they didn't recover and entire towns were being wiped out, schools closed, etc; then it might be something. I feel like I hear about a new flu every year.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Honestly? It's going to take some more deaths before a flu that kills people whose diets consist of burritos and diarrhea water concern me. Like you said, the people in the US recover. If they didn't recover and entire towns were being wiped out, schools closed, etc; then it might be something. I feel like I hear about a new flu every year.

I can't argue with you. I'm describing the worst case scenario, though I didn't say it. I've been hearing nothing but the worst case scenario for the past 3 days, so it's hard to let it just be another flu.

I'll agree with you though, and maybe I was overexaggerating.

heart

heart on fire
None of the articles I have read so far tell the exact details of who is dying from it. They say that it is people who do not normally die of the flu but they give no facts to explain exactly what they mean here.

I mean exactly how many of those who died were outside of normal groups of people who die from the flu? How many people die of flu each year in Mexico City compared to now and what are their age groups and demographics compared to the people who have recently died? It would help if they gave this information and not just make declarations. No college student would get away with this in a term paper, so why do we let the news slide on it as well?

This is a general problem with the news. I see it with the mortgage crisis or when they report on people declaring bankruptcy, they don't compare the numbers occuring now to numbers from a previous time period, so in fact to the reader it means nothing. The reader is forced to take the media's word on what they say without reviewing supporting evidence and no one should ever allow anyone such crediblity over such important issues. Always be skeptical, always look for support for what is stated on important issues, even if you are NF, even if it goes against your grain.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
None of the articles I have read so far tell the exact details of who is dying from it. They say that it is people who do not normally die of the flu but they give no facts to explain exactly what they mean here.

I mean exactly how many of those who died were outside of normal groups of people who die from the flu? How many people die of flu each year in Mexico City compared to now and what are their age groups and demographics compared to the people who have recently died? It would help if they gave this information and not just make declarations. No college student would get away with this in a term paper, so why do we let the news slide on it as well?

This is a general problem with the news. I see it with the mortgage crisis or when they report on people declaring bankruptcy, they don't compare the numbers occuring now to numbers from a previous time period, so in fact to the reader it means nothing. The reader is forced to take the media's word on what they say without reviewing supporting evidence and no one should ever allow anyone such crediblity over such important issues. Always be skeptical, always look for support for what is stated on important issues, even if you are NF, even if it goes against your grain.

It's a very good point. What if it was just mere coincidence that was interpretted wrong? Maybe this is one hoax..a big nightmare.

I agree, the news should be more clear and open. Perhaps they do it to keep things under control, but that's not what we need. If they gave us the cold hard truth, less people would die [if this was for real] than if they didn't reveal a lot of details to keep us calm.

Jeremy

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
It doesn't seem to be more deadly or harmful than the regular flu, just able to go through more quickly. This ain't 1912 though, and normal medical care is taking care of it, so I'm not ultra concerned.

But just to be safe, I'm going to start wearing my environmental suit around campus.

Mole

Permabanned
My sister still calls me a pig.

Or if she likes me, she will call me piggy.

But if she doesn't like me so much, she just calls me a pig.

And when she calls me a pig, I snort at her like a pig.

I wish you could hear me - I do it very well.

Rajah

Reigning Bologna Princess
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I have some cold right now. I told my mom, who actually raised concerns I might have swine flu. You know, in a "Be careful, dear! It could be swine flu!" way.

For crying out loud.