User Tag List

First 45678 Last

heart on fire

Food for thought from an opinion piece:

Simon Jenkins: Swine flu? A panic stoked in order to posture and spend | Comment is free | The Guardian

It is flu, a mutation of the H1N1 virus of the sort that often occurs. It is not a pandemic, despite the media prefix, not yet. The BBC calls it a "potentially terrible virus", but any viral infection is potentially terrible...(snip)

Meanwhile a real pestilence, MRSA and C difficile, was taking hold in hospitals. It was suppressed by the medical profession because it appeared that they themselves might be to blame. These diseases have played a role in thousands of deaths in British hospitals - the former a reported 1,652 and the latter 8,324 in 2007 alone. Like deaths from alcoholism, we have come to regard hospital-induced infection as an accident of life, a hazard to which we have subconsciously adjusted.

MRSA and C difficile are not like swine flu, an opportunity for public figures to scare and posture and spend money. They are diseases for which the government is to blame. They claim no headlines and no Cobra priority. Their sufferers must crawl away and die in silence.

MBTI
    NICE

The two Scots who caught Piggy Flu in Mexico have just strolled out of (enforced) isolation in Airdrie hospital - none the worse for this "lethal" virus.

MBTI
    ISTx

Thank God I'm currently safe in Iraq.

/irony

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by bananatrombones View Post
    The two Scots who caught Piggy Flu in Mexico have just strolled out of (enforced) isolation in Airdrie hospital - none the worse for this "lethal" virus.
    We scoff at your "swine 'flu".
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    yupp

I had a tickle in my throat yesterday (dust most likely) while standing in line at walgreen's and so I cough and people around me took a step away from me. Slightly entertaining.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

heart on fire

Default Purple? Was this you today?

Female passenger's 'flu-like symptoms' divert flight from Germany to Boston

Okay, so from what I understand, here in the USA people are sick a few days with a mild flu and then they get better---unless they already have some immuno-compromising illness. This is SOP. But they are closing schools?

We all already heard the WHO and CDC say that there was no real way to keep this thing from spreading and if they believe it may mutate, isn't it better that more people catch it while it is mild and gain immunity to it? I just don't understand.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post

Female passenger's 'flu-like symptoms' divert flight from Germany to Boston

Okay, so from what I understand, here in the USA people are sick a few days with a mild flu and then they get better---unless they already have some immuno-compromising illness. This is SOP. But they are closing schools?

We all already heard the WHO and CDC say that there was no real way to keep this thing from spreading and if they believe it may mutate, isn't it better that more people catch it while it is mild and gain immunity to it? I just don't understand.
    I don't know. There's no vaccine for it, and aside from basic hygiene and taking care of yourself, which you should be doing anyway, there's not much you can do to stop it. I'm not terribly worried. I think people are freaking out so much because it came from pigs. As far as I'm concerned, it's just yet another flu mutation and seems to be doing the same things that every other flu mutation has done. (Watch some evil swine-flu-induced fate befall me.)

When it upgrades to a super flu like the one in Stephen King's The Stand, then I'll be more than just mildly concerned.
    "I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by OSU Emergency Management
    MESSAGE FROM OSU EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT

Ohio State student diagnosed with probable swine flu

An Ohio State University student was diagnosed with probable swine influenza A (H1N1) virus, which is pending confirmation at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). The student was exposed to the virus outside the university through close contact with family members that were believed to have the H1N1 virus.

The student is a male, freshman and a resident of Stradley Hall. The university is following recommended precautions to prevent the spread of the illness to others. The student has been moved to another location for isolation and is being treated and monitored.

The university is communicating with the 450 residents of Stradley Hall. In addition, individuals who had close contact with the student over the last two days are being notified. The student health center is offering prophylactic/preventive medication to those individuals.

The Wilce Student Health Center, 1875 Millikin Rd., will hold clinic hours for students tomorrow from 9 a.m. 1 p.m. Students also can call the clinics advice nurse line at 614-292-4321.

The university continues to urge all students, faculty and staff to follow infection control steps including frequent hand washing and covering your mouth and nose if you have a cough or sneeze. Frequent use of waterless hand sanitizers is also recommended.
    Ohio State is working in collaboration with the CDC, Ohio Department of Health, and Columbus Public Health and following all appropriate guidelines.

The university continues all regular operations.

For more information on swine influenza, go to this page.
    Ohio State students, faculty and staff will be updated regularly through the emergency web site Home - Emergency - The Ohio State University.

Sincerely,
    Bob Armstrong
    Director, Emergency Management & Fire Prevention

Shit just got realer.

Also, freaking freshmen going out and getting the pig flu. They need to stop sharing those beers from that shady Mexican guy.
    "Can you set me free from this dark inner world? Save me now, last beats in the soul.."

Fonewearl and proud of it!

I (85%) - N (80%) - F (35%) - P (90%)
    O: 94% C: 18% E: 21% A: 94% N: 38%
    9w1 (SP, SX, SO)
    (9, 5, 4)
    RCUAI (Primary Calm)

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

There has to be something more to this? Something They're not telling us? I read on the updates that work has now started e-mail us that WHO is one step away from shutting down international boarders and preventing international travel! What!
    The conspiracy theorist in me says there is an alteria motive here....
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by FireyPheonix View Post
    The conspiracy theorist in me says there is an alteria motive here....
    Nah, just people not understanding that they are attempting to prevent what could be (and what is likely if they do nothing), and not what is. That's prone to over-reaction, unfortunately, as the weakest link is what causes the dam to break.