User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Honestly? It's going to take some more deaths before a flu that kills people whose diets consist of burritos and diarrhea water concern me. Like you said, the people in the US recover. If they didn't recover and entire towns were being wiped out, schools closed, etc; then it might be something. I feel like I hear about a new flu every year.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    Honestly? It's going to take some more deaths before a flu that kills people whose diets consist of burritos and diarrhea water concern me. Like you said, the people in the US recover. If they didn't recover and entire towns were being wiped out, schools closed, etc; then it might be something. I feel like I hear about a new flu every year.
    I can't argue with you. I'm describing the worst case scenario, though I didn't say it. I've been hearing nothing but the worst case scenario for the past 3 days, so it's hard to let it just be another flu.

I'll agree with you though, and maybe I was overexaggerating.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

heart on fire

None of the articles I have read so far tell the exact details of who is dying from it. They say that it is people who do not normally die of the flu but they give no facts to explain exactly what they mean here.

I mean exactly how many of those who died were outside of normal groups of people who die from the flu? How many people die of flu each year in Mexico City compared to now and what are their age groups and demographics compared to the people who have recently died? It would help if they gave this information and not just make declarations. No college student would get away with this in a term paper, so why do we let the news slide on it as well?

This is a general problem with the news. I see it with the mortgage crisis or when they report on people declaring bankruptcy, they don't compare the numbers occuring now to numbers from a previous time period, so in fact to the reader it means nothing. The reader is forced to take the media's word on what they say without reviewing supporting evidence and no one should ever allow anyone such crediblity over such important issues. Always be skeptical, always look for support for what is stated on important issues, even if you are NF, even if it goes against your grain.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Funny story.

Less than two weeks after raising the prospect of seceding from the union, Texas Gov. Rick Perry is calling on the federal government to come to his state's aid in the midst of the swine flu outbreak.
    Rick Perry, After Raising Secession, Calls For Fed Help With Swine Flu

Everyone hates the federal government, except for when they need them.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    None of the articles I have read so far tell the exact details of who is dying from it. They say that it is people who do not normally die of the flu but they give no facts to explain exactly what they mean here.

I mean exactly how many of those who died were outside of normal groups of people who die from the flu? How many people die of flu each year in Mexico City compared to now and what are their age groups and demographics compared to the people who have recently died? It would help if they gave this information and not just make declarations. No college student would get away with this in a term paper, so why do we let the news slide on it as well?

This is a general problem with the news. I see it with the mortgage crisis or when they report on people declaring bankruptcy, they don't compare the numbers occuring now to numbers from a previous time period, so in fact to the reader it means nothing. The reader is forced to take the media's word on what they say without reviewing supporting evidence and no one should ever allow anyone such crediblity over such important issues. Always be skeptical, always look for support for what is stated on important issues, even if you are NF, even if it goes against your grain.
    It's a very good point. What if it was just mere coincidence that was interpretted wrong? Maybe this is one hoax..a big nightmare.

I agree, the news should be more clear and open. Perhaps they do it to keep things under control, but that's not what we need. If they gave us the cold hard truth, less people would die [if this was for real] than if they didn't reveal a lot of details to keep us calm.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

It's always something... PuddleRiver's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Funny story.

Rick Perry, After Raising Secession, Calls For Fed Help With Swine Flu

Everyone hates the federal government, except for when they need them.

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay one invincible summer."
    ~~~~
    A Christian's life may be the only Bible some people ever read.
    ~~~~
    "The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them" Maya Angelou.
    ~~~~
    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" Gandhi
    ~~~~

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

It doesn't seem to be more deadly or harmful than the regular flu, just able to go through more quickly. This ain't 1912 though, and normal medical care is taking care of it, so I'm not ultra concerned.

But just to be safe, I'm going to start wearing my environmental suit around campus.
    "Can you set me free from this dark inner world? Save me now, last beats in the soul.."

Fonewearl and proud of it!

I (85%) - N (80%) - F (35%) - P (90%)
    O: 94% C: 18% E: 21% A: 94% N: 38%
    9w1 (SP, SX, SO)
    (9, 5, 4)
    RCUAI (Primary Calm)

The swine flu is SO 70s.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

My sister still calls me a pig.

Or if she likes me, she will call me piggy.

But if she doesn't like me so much, she just calls me a pig.

And when she calls me a pig, I snort at her like a pig.

I wish you could hear me - I do it very well.

Reigning Bologna Princess Rajah's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram

I have some cold right now. I told my mom, who actually raised concerns I might have swine flu. You know, in a "Be careful, dear! It could be swine flu!" way.

For crying out loud.

I... suppose. Yeah!