User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTx

Default No junkfood May.

Anyone care to suffer through a month of "no junkfood" with me? I want co-sufferers to relate with!

I love junk. I admit it. Candies, chocolates, donuts, cookies, muffins, coffees, chips, pizzas, hamburgers, energy drinks, icecream, fried stuff, gimme gimme gimme! My only saving grace has been a resilient metabolism that puts up with it.

It'll be a neat experement. The effect on mood, sleep patterns, wakefullness, and general energy. Just, um, a painful adjustment for the first week.

MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    INTp

Quote Originally Posted by Feops View Post
    Anyone care to suffer through a month of "no junkfood" with me? I want co-sufferers to relate with!

I love junk. I admit it. Candies, chocolates, donuts, cookies, muffins, coffees, chips, pizzas, hamburgers, energy drinks, icecream, fried stuff, gimme gimme gimme! My only saving grace has been a resilient metabolism that puts up with it.

It'll be a neat experement. The effect on mood, sleep patterns, wakefullness, and general energy. Just, um, a painful adjustment for the first week.
    Metabolism is one thing, good health is another. I rarely eat junk - typically organic, whole food, natural, etc. The easiest way to do it is to not to buy what you don't want to eat because you will eat it if it is there. You will feel a ton better getting rid of the processed foods in your diet. Can take a little bit though to get all the toxins out of your system. Might want to get a whole body cleanse from the health food store to speed that up if you want to see results quickly.

Really, unless you are making a lifestyle change, this is just torturing yourself. The best way is to incorporate better choices in your diet little by little. If you love bread, and usually eat white bread, start buying wheat bread or whole grain bread. If you love donuts, start buying the ones without glaze or sugar free. If you love chocolate ice cream, start buying chocolate yogurt.

As you make the change, keep in mind that you don't have to completely eliminate everything - I eat healthy, but will eat some bad things. However, it isn't often and I make myself wait for them...e.g. if I am craving chips, I will make myself wait a few days or even weeks. If it persists, then I will eat some. I also try to figure out why I am craving it - do I want something crunchy, salty, or is it taste? Then, I will try to find an alternative and have that on hand when those cravings come. Just experiment with 'alternative foods' to the things you eat regularly.

Good luck!
    Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

+1 to Thinking's comment, besides the organic business.

You don't really need organic food for a good diet, the non-organic stuff is fine. Fresh fruits and veggies are more nutritious though. For this reason, local produces are better because there's less shipping time.

There's no need for cutting out all junk food. A treat once in a while does you no harm. Just make sure you don't make meals out of them. For your regular meals, try to cut down on fat/oil and salts. Finally, lots of water. Both people (myself included) don't drink enough.
    My stuff (design & other junk) lives here: http://nnbox.ca

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

oo i'll do it. i really don't eat a huge amount of junk food, but i don't eat healthy enough either. I'd like to cut out sodas.
    INFP 4w5
    facebook
    The pain won't let me get away.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    You don't really need organic food for a good diet, the non-organic stuff is fine. Fresh fruits and veggies are more nutritious though. For this reason, local produces are better because there's less shipping time.
    Yup, although it doesn't need to be fresh. Local is certainly better, but failing having the markets around (easier here in Vancouver ), frozen tends to be healthier. The same goes for canned and the like. So long as it is relatively additive free (including salt and the like), it's about as healthy as fresh local vegetables... and better than most of the stuff people can actually get. (And even then, salt isn't really that dangerous until it gets fairly extreme.)

edit: OP - I would, but I'm not sure what I could cut out o_O

MBTI
    INTx

Quote Originally Posted by ThinkingAboutIt View Post
    Might want to get a whole body cleanse from the health food store to speed that up if you want to see results quickly.
    Whole body cleanse?

MBTI
    ISFJ

^usually consists of drinking a whole bottle of absinth.

And wait, is a whole month without eating junk food that much? Not to sound judging or anything but I guess this could in part be a cultural thing.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

I'll join you.

I'm in.. 21 times make a habit. A month should be a good amount of time to start up some new healthy habits. I've been trying for a bit now, actually, ever since I read the book "In Defense of Food". Check it out if you are really interested in getting a factual view of how our food industry is corrupt.

MBTI
    INTx

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    ^usually consists of drinking a whole bottle of absinth.

And wait, is a whole month without eating junk food that much? Not to sound judging or anything but I guess this could in part be a cultural thing.
    Ew absinth.

I work in a downtown office, have a sweet tooth, and I'm not constrained by any sort of daily budgeting. It's not hard at all to substitute meals and snacks with crap.

So it's pretty easy to do the following: skip breakfast, go to work, pick up a donut + coffee, work, have a hamburger + pop for lunch, work, have a chocolate bar snack, go home, have a coffee, nuke some microwave noodles for "dinner", eat some chips, sleep.

Pretty crappy yes? Doing all those in one day would be a tad extreme but it gets the point across.