• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The aftermath of weight loss

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
So, I've said before that I lost over a hundred pounds over the course of 2 years. I used to be 300, but have been holding steady at 193-195 since last May. It's a comfortable weight, so I just stopped really caring about trying to go down more. I just ate random stuff, walked/jogged whenever, and held steady there.

The problem is, the weight loss caused an amount of stretch marks and loose skin. I tried going to a gym last August. I was fine for a few weeks, and then school started. I kept up for about 2 weeks and then it fell apart, and I stopped going as often, and quit. It was mostly that school and work was pulling at me so much mentally that I couldn't get myself to go to the gym since it wasn't something I was overly interested in.

So, 2 weeks ago, I went to visit my old doctor because he just wanted to see how I was doing. It wasn't an appointment. It was just a walk in to say hi. He told me though while I was there that I really needed to get into resistance training or else I might need plastic surgery if it doesn't work. The way I see it, the only I could likely do it is if it's during a time where I'm not both school and work.

I'd rather look for something I could do at home, but I honestly have no clue about that stuff. I wouldn't know where to start. I just have this feeling that if I could find a routine that works for me, I could fix this problem quickly. Any suggestions? What does a complete newbie at this stuff that wants to do it at home do?

Wiley45

MBTI Type
INFP
Wow, congrats on losing 100+ lbs!

You can find weight routines almost anywhere, in magazines, etc. I would suggest going to a bookstore to see if you find either a magazine or a book that gives step by step instructions and routines for weight training.

As far as equipment, even if you don't have a weight bench, there is a lot you can do with resistance bands and dumbbell weights, although buying the equipment may be a little bit of an investment at first. I think weights tend to cost about $1 per pound.

You may already know these things, but here are a couple quick pieces of advice: Don't work the same muscles every day. Either give yourself a day off in between for cardio exercise, or do the upper body muscles one day and lower the next. Also, don't use a weight if it's so heavy that you can't complete the exercise with good form. Pay a lot of attention to the angles of your body (use the book for help) and learn good form as you go. It will pay off in the end. Once you get used to a routine for a couple months, switch to a slightly different one so you'll continue maximum muscle building.

Good luck!

Ulaes

loopy
MBTI Type
crak
Enneagram
sax
dont forget to do something aerobic. because of your history, you're heart is probably in bad shape and it will support you when you do resistence training.
you'll have to start off slow but be consistent; a week or more away from aerobics can bring you back to square one.
there are plenty of dvds for aerobics. or you could keep it simple by dong things like star jumping for as long as you can.

things to do at home:
push ups
crunches (not situps, they dont do anything). its important with these that you pull in from the lower abodiminal muscles and breathe out while you do it.
lunges
chin ups if you have a bar strong and high enough. there are two ways of doing them. one is to pull your self up with your palms facing you and your arms at elbows width. another is to face your hands the other way and spread them out like a Y. the latter way pulls strength from both your back and your arms while the former is mostly from your arms. you wont needs to bother working your triceps or biceps when you doing full chin ups as part of your routine.
sit on and invisible chair while resting your back against a wall. this will build mucle in your thighs but i warn you, its painful.

eat properly. you will start loose muscle tone if you start skipping meals.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
I'm already eating fine. I'm on Weight Watchers and it's working great. It's just the whole exercising enough part. I joined a gym last week, and a trainer is showing me around the equipment the last week. They also have like 6 free classes a day you can choose from. I tried one yesterday and it was really cool. I'm going to try to go to the gym and those classes as much as possible this summer and see how much of a dent I can put in this problem before the fall semester starts.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm already eating fine. I'm on Weight Watchers and it's working great. It's just the whole exercising enough part. I joined a gym last week, and a trainer is showing me around the equipment the last week. They also have like 6 free classes a day you can choose from. I tried one yesterday and it was really cool. I'm going to try to go to the gym and those classes as much as possible this summer and see how much of a dent I can put in this problem before the fall semester starts.

Raz,

That's awesome you lost 100 pounds; it's a major accomplishment, seriously.

In the OP you indicated a preference to workout at home, but above ^ you stated that you joined a gym.

Is it correct to assume that you will be pursuing resistance training (primarily) at the gym? If so, I have a few posts that I can drop you links to that are kind of a generic power summary of where to start. Will dig them up now.

If not please let me know, I'll try to find some information more appropriate for you.

FWIW, I think going to a gym is the best option for two simple reasons:

(1) You are not distracted by all the things that are in your house (X-Box, phone calls, TV, refrigerator, PC, etc.), and

(2) Variety in equipment is a good thing, it allows you to experiment and exert yourself and not get bored as typically occurs (quickly) with much home fitness equipment.

Good luck in your endeavors, I hope to be able to provide you with some useful advice.

Cheers,

-Alex

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
Raz,

That's awesome you lost 100 pounds; it's a major accomplishment, seriously.

In the OP you indicated a preference to workout at home, but above ^ you stated that you joined a gym.

Is it correct to assume that you will be pursuing resistance training (primarily) at the gym? If so, I have a few posts that I can drop you links to that are kind of a generic power summary of where to start. Will dig them up now.

If not please let me know, I'll try to find some information more appropriate for you.

FWIW, I think going to a gym is the best option for two simple reasons:

(1) You are not distracted by all the things that are in your house (X-Box, phone calls, TV, refrigerator, PC, etc.), and

(2) Variety in equipment is a good thing, it allows you to experiment and exert yourself and not get bored as typically occurs (quickly) with much home fitness equipment.

Good luck in your endeavors, I hope to be able to provide you with some useful advice.

Cheers,

-Alex

I was looking for after workout stretches I could do, also. I'll have to search the net or find a book.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
That was a good site. This gym I joined is pretty good. I'm going to try to take 2 classes and make 2 workout visits a week. So far I've done that this week, so I'm going to see how well I can keep that up over the Summer. The hour long classes are intense! lol. Lots of shaking....which means I'm well out of shape, haha.

Just sucks though that my doctor said there's a pretty good chance I'll still need plastic surgery for my abdominal area. Even the guy at the gym agreed that there's not much I can do about the loose skin there.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
Still working on this at the gym, but I caught a cold so it's slowing me down. I hate colds with a passion.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
My gym personal trainer told my mother that I need to be more outgoing and talk more.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My gym personal trainer told my mother that I need to be more outgoing and talk more.

Tell him to stop talking to your Mom and to talk to you instead.
How can talking to your Mom benefit you?
You need to hear the message and identify with it if there is to be any positive effect.
I'd kick him in the shins.

:threaten:

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
The hard part right now is just getting started since I haven't done something like this in a long time, so my muscles are adjusting, aka the initial soreness. Plus, I'm sure this cold is wreaking havoc on my body's self-maintenance.

wolfy

awsm
The hard part right now is just getting started since I haven't done something like this in a long time, so my muscles are adjusting, aka the initial soreness. Plus, I'm sure this cold is wreaking havoc on my body's self-maintenance.

Just keep on pushing, eventually it'll become a habit. Half of it is showing up.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
Just keep on pushing, eventually it'll become a habit. Half of it is showing up.

After researching a bit on the internet, I never really looked at strength building in the way that basically when you exercise, your muscles are "torn up" and then your body repairs them, as you work out more, your body repairs them to be stronger than before to adapt to your increased regiment. Interesting way of putting it. So, really your body just adapts itself, and that's what working out is?

wolfy

awsm
So, really your body just adapts itself, and that's what working out is?

Yeah, basically you're putting stress on your body and forcing it to adapt. That's one reason why it's important not to jump to advanced techniques when basic stuff provides enough of a stimulus. If you do you'll dampen the effect when you use them later.

Progressive overload is the name of the game.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
What I'm trying to get used to right now is a full upper body workout on mondays, full lower body on tuesdays, then an hour group class on fridays. However, twice when I went to the hour class, my legs were way sore over the weekend, so I was concerned about pushing myself like right after the soreness subsided as soon as the weekend was over. I assume the soreness from the class will stop soon. It's squats, lunges, weight lifting, push ups, so it's an hour packed with all sorts of stuff. It's supposed to burn ~500 calories.

This cold isn't helping much with it either. I'm just concerned whether I'm pushing myself too much or if I need to rest more.

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
What I'm trying to get used to right now is a full upper body workout on mondays, full lower body on tuesdays, then an hour group class on fridays. However, twice when I went to the hour class, my legs were way sore over the weekend, so I was concerned about pushing myself like right after the soreness subsided as soon as the weekend was over. I assume the soreness from the class will stop soon. It's squats, lunges, weight lifting, push ups, so it's an hour packed with all sorts of stuff. It's supposed to burn ~500 calories.

This cold isn't helping much with it either. I'm just concerned whether I'm pushing myself too much or if I need to rest more.

It gets better. The interesting thing about sore muscles is that they stop being sore when you start working them again. I had a class in school where I had to run every day, and some days I would walk in and be so sore I wondered if I could even get moving. But a few minutes after stretching and running, the pain subsided and I felt pretty good.

As long as you're giving yourself a couple of days between sessions to let your body repair itself, I think you'll be okay. But I'm not an expert on this sort of thing...though I do know it's always hard starting this sort of thing.

Anyway, kudos to you and good luck! :)

Samvega

Buddhist Misanthrope
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Do Yoga, pick fights with people bigger than you and use a good cocoa butter on the stretch marks. Maybe skip that middle one, your call! And I'm not sure if I've ever really been fond of you or not but all the same I'm happy to hear about your success and you should be VERY proud of yourself. I'm guessing you self esteem is 100 times better and that alone should be a great reward not to mention the health benefits.