User Tag List

First 234

MBTI
    LoLz

I'm still working on it. I'm wondering how often I should be changing weights to the next higher level. I've increased about 3/4 of the workouts I'm doing by 2.5-5 lbs already in the last month. Does it just take more time? I'm also noticing that my left arm is noticeably weaker than my right arm and it seems like it's holding back my progress because it takes longer to get stronger.

I also took my body fat percentage last Wednesday weighing in at 194 lbs. I came out 22%. I just took it again today and set it to 195 after weighing myself and it came out 21.1%. I changed to 194 and I got 20.8%. Heh.

MBTI
    LoLz

I've increased the weights on just about every workout I'm doing. However, when I try the handheld body fat analyzer tool, it's almost impossible to tell any progress on that. It fluctuates up, down and dead even.

I weigh myself when I go, but it's different times during the day sometimes. I started weighing myself in the morning when I woke up like I did when I lost the weight before. According to that, I've lost ~7-8 lbs. The scale at the gym says I've lost nothing and the body fat analyzer is just fubared.

I'm slowly increasing weights on the workouts, and the scale at home says I'm losing weight. Should I just ignore what the stuff at the gym is saying? I'm following weight watchers, and I'm pretty damn sure I'm eating my daily points correctly and I'm having a 16-18(~700 calories) treat once a week.

An electronic BF analyzer measures your BF by measuring the speed a current goes through your body. So depending on how hydrated you are the result will fluctuate.

You could try measuring at the same time of the day. Or you could get a caliper test done once a month. That would be the best option, a caliper test.

You need to think in terms of body composition. Not body weight. Strength gains are caused by neural adaptation and extra muscle mass so that could be why your weight is stable.

What is your waist measurement doing?

MBTI
    LoLz

Haven't really measured my waist. Where is your waist actually located?

See, when I lost the weight before, I'd weigh myself once a week right after I woke up. That way there was no cause of unexpected fluctuations. I guess I should just keep on that and use that as my guide.

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

I usually weigh-in first thing in the morning during a work week. It minimizes variance, but at the price of making the body fat percentage analyzer on my scale almost worthless. (Because my body is dehydrated, so everything is high.)

Remember that if you are lifting, muscle weighs more than fat. If you are increasing your weights while still losing weight, it's likely a good sign. Just know that the increase in muscle mass will slow down how much weight you lose each week.

MBTI
    LoLz

Well, like, I went on vacation this week for 4 days, so I made sure I got in my workouts last weekend. I ended up missing a class this week because of the vacation and I stayed pretty damn close to my normal routine of eating even while on vacation. As soon as I got back Thursday night, I went to the gym Friday evening, and then tonight. I'm planning on going to my class again Monday. I wanted to go for some cardio tomorrow or maybe I'll find somewhere to go jogging.

I'm more of afraid of either losing muscle mass or gaining/maintaining fat levels. I had to adjust my lever seated leg curl weights tonight. My form was all wrong and it made me think I was capable of like 10-15 lbs more than I actually was. I was really just going too fast. It's been 8 weeks now of the lifting. The personal trainer said to talk to him about switching over to a different routine. I'll try talking to him next week.

Quote Originally Posted by raz View Post
    Haven't really measured my waist. Where is your waist actually located?
    Around the level of your belly button.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

If you ask for lifting advice you're going to get endless replies, some strategies contradicting others. I've learned that it's very important to establish a good foundation in order to reduce wasted time. For that reason I'd recommend the book "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe.

Rather than focusing on isolation exercises (i.e. biceps, triceps, etc.), the book focuses on the core compound movements (squats, deadlifts, bench-press, press, chin-ups, etc.). This book will teach go into exhaustive detail on proper form in order to prevent injury. It's used by coaches of athletes and is also used as a stepping stone for people introduced to bodybuilding.

It might seem a little intense from what I just described but my point was just to demonstrate its popular regard. You only need to devote 3 days a week as a novice.

I've also heard good things about P90x, but that program requires a much higher investment in time and effort than what your circumstances seem to allow. Also, P90x does not have as long a track record. Starting Strength is tried and true.
    "For a man who wants to make a profession of good in all regards must come to ruin among so many who are not good. Hence it is necessary to a prince, if he wants to maintain himself, to learn to be able not to be good, and to use this and not use it according to necessity."
    Niccolo Machiavelli