User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    LoLz

I'm just concerned about how much I can really affect the stretch marks and loose skin with just working out. I have them on my upper arms, under my thighs and around my abdominal and chest areas. There's a patch of loose skin right under my stomach, and I don't think I can do much about it. I looked at pictures of people online with loose skin in the same areas from weight loss, and I don't know if I want to lose 15-20 lbs in my stomach area after looking at those pictures.

I can't believe I'm so vain. :/ I feel like an ESFx. lol

Phantonym

Quote Originally Posted by raz View Post
    I'm just concerned about how much I can really affect the stretch marks and loose skin with just working out.

I can't believe I'm so vain. :/ I feel like an ESFx. lol
    First of all, congratulations on losing the weight!

But, sorry to disappoint you, the stretch marks you already have are there to stay. Exercising is ineffective against marks that have already appeared. However, they will fade into a lighter colour over time and become less noticeable.

Maybe you should consult a dermatologist who can suggest some possibilities on how to deal with them. There are some treatments available for improving the marks.

And hey, there's nothing wrong with a little healthy vanity. It's understandable that you're eager to improve your body.

Keep up the good work and good luck with your battles!

MBTI
    LoLz

Quote Originally Posted by Sky is BLUE! View Post
    First of all, congratulations on losing the weight!

But, sorry to disappoint you, the stretch marks you already have are there to stay. Exercising is ineffective against marks that have already appeared. However, they will fade into a lighter colour over time and become less noticeable.

Maybe you should consult a dermatologist who can suggest some possibilities on how to deal with them. There are some treatments available for improving the marks.

And hey, there's nothing wrong with a little healthy vanity. It's understandable that you're eager to improve your body.

Keep up the good work and good luck with your battles!
    Sigh. Sounds like a losing battle then. So, apparently I can't really do anything about the cosmetic problems aside from surgery. This fucking sucks. I can continue to try to lose weight this Summer and see what happens to my stomach area with the loose skin, but after looking at pictures online, I'm just not sure if that seems like a good idea now. I'm starting to wonder if I just want to give up on it all then and just stay put where I am.

I just seem fucked either way and apparently my family can't see the emotional complications of surgery.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Don't forget, cocoa butter!

Phantonym

Quote Originally Posted by Samvega View Post
    Don't forget, cocoa butter!
    To quote Wikipedia, the most accurate and reliable database on earth ():

"Though cocoa butter is an effective moisturizer, no research studies have shown its ability to either prevent stretchmarks, or to reduce their appearance once a stretchmark has already formed."

Link here - Stretch marks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But hey, cocoa butter smells wonderful and it's an excellent way to pamper yourself (even if you are a guy) and get those negative thoughts out of your head

Sigh. Sounds like a losing battle then. So, apparently I can't really do anything about the cosmetic problems aside from surgery. This fucking sucks. I can continue to try to lose weight this Summer and see what happens to my stomach area with the loose skin, but after looking at pictures online, I'm just not sure if that seems like a good idea now. I'm starting to wonder if I just want to give up on it all then and just stay put where I am.

I just seem fucked either way and apparently my family can't see the emotional complications of surgery.
    raz, don't give up! I know it's very easy to give up when you think that things are not going exactly the way you want them to go.

And stop looking at pictures of other people! There's a different story to every body. Trust me, you'll only make yourself feel worse. Negativity will only make you think about giving up even more.

Here's an idea: maybe you should talk to some professional therapist. Somebody who has dealt with the weight loss issues before and who has a neutral stance in this issue and is able to help you see that things are not as negative as you might see them. It's worth giving a shot.

You're pretty young. And that's a definite plus. As long as you keep on working on your body, it will get better. Surgery should be the last thing on you mind right now. It might seem like an easy fix but it could do you more harm than good. You've already worked so hard for this. Keep on working out, it will make you feel better! Things will not change quickly in the near future but building muscle will make the proportions of your body better.

Love your body!

MBTI
    LoLz

I'm not giving up. I'm trying to keep in my plan of 2 workouts and 1 class a week. The soreness from my workouts is gone, but the class is still giving me a run for my money. It leaves soreness the whole weekend since I usually do it on Fridays. I guess it'll just take time. I came out of the class today with my upper arms shaking. That was a little weird. I just hope it gets better.

I'm trying to fine tune the class and get used to it, customizing weights and things. I got through it a lot easier today when I stopped using weights during squats and lunges. Probably by the time I get used to this routine, it'll be time to switch up. I doubt I'm anywhere near that, though. I think I should let my body adjust to this for a while first, haha. It shows how bad my upper legs are though, with the squats and lunges. I'm noticing that balance is getting easier as I'm gaining more leg muscle.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

and apparently my family can't see the emotional complications of surgery.
    Me neither?!
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

Riva

Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    Me neither?!
    me neither.

MBTI
    LoLz

It's just that the loose skin and stretch marks are an after effect of the weight I gained from my depression. If I can't get rid of them from strength and resistance training, then to me, my depression caused another permanent effect that I can't help on my own. After the crap of my depression, I just want to feel normal, and it seems like needing surgery makes me feel much less normal.

MBTI
    LoLz

Seems like there was a hole in my diet leading to my lack of fat loss. I found it and hopefully I can plug it up quickly. Miscalculated something I had been eating the last few weeks that was adding a considerable amount of calories.