User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 38

  1. #11
    Let's make this showy! raz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    LoLz
    Posts
    2,523

    Default

    My gym personal trainer told my mother that I need to be more outgoing and talk more.


  2. #12
    Artisan Conquerer Halla74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,927

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by raz View Post
    My gym personal trainer told my mother that I need to be more outgoing and talk more.
    Tell him to stop talking to your Mom and to talk to you instead.
    How can talking to your Mom benefit you?
    You need to hear the message and identify with it if there is to be any positive effect.
    I'd kick him in the shins.


  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    671

    Default

    Congrats on the weightloss!

    If going to the gym doesn't work out, you might want to try either Power 90 or Power 90X programs. They are weight routines (and more!) which are on DVDs so you do them at home. I'm currently doing Power90, which is the easier of the two and love it - and I'm seeing results.

    P90X® - Fitness, Nutrition, Diet, Weight Loss Official Web site

  4. #14
    Let's make this showy! raz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    LoLz
    Posts
    2,523

    Default

    The hard part right now is just getting started since I haven't done something like this in a long time, so my muscles are adjusting, aka the initial soreness. Plus, I'm sure this cold is wreaking havoc on my body's self-maintenance.


  5. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by raz View Post
    The hard part right now is just getting started since I haven't done something like this in a long time, so my muscles are adjusting, aka the initial soreness. Plus, I'm sure this cold is wreaking havoc on my body's self-maintenance.
    Just keep on pushing, eventually it'll become a habit. Half of it is showing up.

  6. #16
    Let's make this showy! raz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    LoLz
    Posts
    2,523

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    Just keep on pushing, eventually it'll become a habit. Half of it is showing up.
    After researching a bit on the internet, I never really looked at strength building in the way that basically when you exercise, your muscles are "torn up" and then your body repairs them, as you work out more, your body repairs them to be stronger than before to adapt to your increased regiment. Interesting way of putting it. So, really your body just adapts itself, and that's what working out is?


  7. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by raz View Post
    So, really your body just adapts itself, and that's what working out is?
    Yeah, basically you're putting stress on your body and forcing it to adapt. That's one reason why it's important not to jump to advanced techniques when basic stuff provides enough of a stimulus. If you do you'll dampen the effect when you use them later.

    Progressive overload is the name of the game.

  8. #18
    Let's make this showy! raz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    LoLz
    Posts
    2,523

    Default

    What I'm trying to get used to right now is a full upper body workout on mondays, full lower body on tuesdays, then an hour group class on fridays. However, twice when I went to the hour class, my legs were way sore over the weekend, so I was concerned about pushing myself like right after the soreness subsided as soon as the weekend was over. I assume the soreness from the class will stop soon. It's squats, lunges, weight lifting, push ups, so it's an hour packed with all sorts of stuff. It's supposed to burn ~500 calories.

    This cold isn't helping much with it either. I'm just concerned whether I'm pushing myself too much or if I need to rest more.


  9. #19
    Senior Member Kyrielle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    1,297

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by raz View Post
    What I'm trying to get used to right now is a full upper body workout on mondays, full lower body on tuesdays, then an hour group class on fridays. However, twice when I went to the hour class, my legs were way sore over the weekend, so I was concerned about pushing myself like right after the soreness subsided as soon as the weekend was over. I assume the soreness from the class will stop soon. It's squats, lunges, weight lifting, push ups, so it's an hour packed with all sorts of stuff. It's supposed to burn ~500 calories.

    This cold isn't helping much with it either. I'm just concerned whether I'm pushing myself too much or if I need to rest more.
    It gets better. The interesting thing about sore muscles is that they stop being sore when you start working them again. I had a class in school where I had to run every day, and some days I would walk in and be so sore I wondered if I could even get moving. But a few minutes after stretching and running, the pain subsided and I felt pretty good.

    As long as you're giving yourself a couple of days between sessions to let your body repair itself, I think you'll be okay. But I'm not an expert on this sort of thing...though I do know it's always hard starting this sort of thing.

    Anyway, kudos to you and good luck!
    "I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference."

    Robert Frost

  10. #20
    Buddhist Misanthrope Samvega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Posts
    1,068

    Default

    Do Yoga, pick fights with people bigger than you and use a good cocoa butter on the stretch marks. Maybe skip that middle one, your call! And I'm not sure if I've ever really been fond of you or not but all the same I'm happy to hear about your success and you should be VERY proud of yourself. I'm guessing you self esteem is 100 times better and that alone should be a great reward not to mention the health benefits.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-21-2012, 01:50 PM
  2. Is a low calorie diet the best for weight loss?
    By Merrywille in forum Health and Fitness
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 03-23-2011, 05:56 PM
  3. By the POWER OF GREYSKULL! (AKA Visa's weight-gain thread!)
    By visaisahero in forum Health and Fitness
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-11-2010, 10:48 AM
  4. [MBTItm] The merit of stuffed animals
    By nightning in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 09-29-2007, 10:49 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO