User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Running Tips?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Default Running Tips?

I'm attending a 7.5 mile run on May 3rd and I need to shape up fast, lol! Thankfully it's not a serious race or anything but I'd still like to get a decent time. So far I can run 3 miles at around 35 minutes without dying. Any advice on how to improve my time would be awesome.
    Is not to be held accuntable for peeling errors.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Rocks + passing police cars = Training, faster running, better times.

Banned

Are you doing Bloomsday? I did it for years, it's a blast.

As far as improving your fitness between now and then, I don't think a ton of progress is possible as you've got barely over two weeks. What I would do is just keep up with the three-milers and try to do a 7 or so over the weekend to get a feel for what's ahead of you. If you're doing Bloomsday, I would also try getting a few hills in. That last hill is a doozy. The best advice I can give beyond that is try not to get sick or hurt between now and then. Keep your diet clean and maintain your current level of fitness. Ideally, training for a 7.5-miler should start 6-8 weeks out so you can build properly and rest right before the run.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Good shoes! Most important.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Shaula View Post
    I'm attending a 7.5 mile run on May 3rd and I need to shape up fast, lol! Thankfully it's not a serious race or anything but I'd still like to get a decent time. So far I can run 3 miles at around 35 minutes without dying. Any advice on how to improve my time would be awesome.

Rollerblades!

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    Si
    Socionics
    ESTP

Get an airmask too.. unless you want to torture your lungs..
    "Where can you flee? What road will you use to escape us? Our horses are swift, our arrows sharp, our swords like thunderbolts, our hearts as hard as the mountains, our soldiers as numerous as the sand. Fortresses will not detain us, nor arms stop us. Your prayers to God will not avail against us. We are not moved by tears nor touched by lamentations."

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey_Peltast View Post
    Get an airmask too.. unless you want to torture your lungs..
    Are you running in Mexico City?

I will agree fully, good shoes, I only wear New Balance and Pearl iZumi, both are great for me but go to a local running store and see what feels best.

MBTI
    iNtP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Throw some fartlek/intervals/sprints in, junk runs are good exercise but won't decrease your time

Get fitted for shoes, go to a place like fleet feet and someone will watch you run/tell you what works best

Break up runs with other types of exercise... like swimming... swim aerobics the week before a run is a good bet.... cycling... whatever you like... just make sure you keep your heart rate up for an amount of time that is close to the amount of time you will be running. For marathon training, we started with 2hr and ended the season with 4hr workout sessions/assignments, but it's also very important to stay within a healthy HR range while doing this... one coach used to tell us the workout is of no benefit if your heart rate gets too high... the max i think... i don't even know if they wanted us hitting our max too often. It also builds up your glycogen stores so that the wall comes a little later in the race.

HAVE FUN
    [B]Ti=Ne>Ni>Fe>Te=Fi>Si>Se

LII

Quote Originally Posted by Nocap
    Quote Originally Posted by laintpe
    Quote Originally Posted by Nocap
    Ideally I'll be the woman

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Start doing an exaggerated version of power walking at medium running speed and convince yourself that you're going at a regular pace.

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by juggernaut View Post
    Are you doing Bloomsday? I did it for years, it's a blast.
    Running and "it's a blast" should never, ever be in a single sentence. EVER. :P