User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Running Tips?

failure to thrive Array AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    451 sx/so
    ENFj Ni

i love running. i'm pretty athletic, but it i had to choose one form of exercise that does the most for me physically, it'd be running. the best shape i've ever been in--and i mean this regarding my muscles, my heart, my joints (as in flexibility and suppleness), and overall general well-being--was due to running. i used to run 5 miles in 45 mins (uphill and down) every other day, alternating with some form of aerobics on 'off' days. when i got pregnant, i quit running and started hiking. anyway, i'm still working back up to 5 miles now.

cross training is where it's at, i think. now i prefer to strenuously hike one day, run the next, and mountain bike the next. followed by a day 'off.' mountain biking really builds quad muscles more than running, but running makes me have better breath control. hiking is just a good break for my mind, but it's still great exercise.

i know runner's world website has a training program cuz my marathon runner friend uses it and likes it. but i always just listen to my body, and increase my distance first, and speed after. if my knees hurt, i know it's because i'm trying to go too far too soon. i just wear New Balance shoes, and have never had a problem with my feet, but i have a decent arch.

good luck!
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

Here's a list of great running programs for short distances, marathons, beginning runners and experienced ones.

Running Times Magazine
    ENFP Male: E-74% N-95% F-58% P-84% 3w2
    "I feel there are two people inside me - me and my intuition. If I go against her, she'll screw me every time, and if I follow her, we get along quite nicely." -Kim Basinger