User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 32

Thread: Running Tips?

  1. #21
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Posts
    3,187

    Default

    I was just listening to a Jillian michaels show talking about this subject. She suggested you make sure to get the proper shoes that fit your foot shape and stride to make your running and joint utilization WAY more efficient (I would agree from experience). Practice running in proper form, which she said includes not letting your feet strike too far ahead or behind you. Your tailbone should be vertical/tucked in with your back and torso straight, not leaning, with your head up and looking straight ahead of you. Your feet should strike the ground directly below your hip. Focus on proper breathing technique (breathing technique makes a huge difference for every physical activity). Keep your hands/arms below your heart and close to your body so it doesn't have to work so hard, and keep your lower arms/elbow open at a wider angle so that your biceps don't get tired. Also consult an actual trainer.

  2. #22
    Emperor/Dictator kyuuei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    8
    Posts
    13,877

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    Running and "it's a blast" should never, ever be in a single sentence. EVER. :P
    I entirely concur, Beatster.

    Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    I was just listening to a Jillian michaels show talking about this subject. She suggested you make sure to get the proper shoes that fit your foot shape and stride to make your running and joint utilization WAY more efficient (I would agree from experience). Practice running in proper form, which she said includes not letting your feet strike too far ahead or behind you. Your tailbone should be vertical/tucked in with your back and torso straight, not leaning, with your head up and looking straight ahead of you. Your feet should strike the ground directly below your hip. Focus on proper breathing technique (breathing technique makes a huge difference for every physical activity). Keep your hands/arms below your heart and close to your body so it doesn't have to work so hard, and keep your lower arms/elbow open at a wider angle so that your biceps don't get tired. Also consult an actual trainer.
    Hey thats the name of the girl on my workout dvd!

    I agree on the shoes, and on the posture riiight up until the head straight forward part. If my head is straight forward, I focus on whatever is infront of me instead of thinking about my breathing, my posture, and the run itself. I have to make the ground my focus or I'll never make it. I'd rather surprise myself by which mile marker I'm on than be counting every single one the entire time. It makes the run so much slower for me.

    I'm NOT a fantastic runner myself, by any means, I've been working on it all month trying to improve myself. I started out just walking the distances I wanted to run, then power walking it. I started to run the first part of it, then enjoy the walk the rest of the way, and I've been ever-so-gently increasing it as I go.

    Though I never timed myself exactly, I go by songs rather, I ran 2.25 miles yesterday in like 5 or 6 songs. It's not a fast pace, but I've never been a fast runner. My goal is to continue this trend until I can slowly run 4 miles. When I can do that much, I will slow run 4 miles, and speed up on 2 mile runs and power walk 3 miles and just alternate the three days. I don't need to be fast, and I don't have any desire to be fast. I just want to be healthy enough to do it period.

    Though.. I was always taught if you want to run two miles very well, just be able to run 3-4 miles decently. I think this is a good form of logic
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

    Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

    In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

  3. #23
    RETIRED CzeCze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    GONE
    Posts
    9,051

    Default

    For any women, I would recommend *not* running if you can avoid it (Kyueii, I'm guessing that's hard to avoid in basic training and in the military in general? LOL) Running is one of the hardest sports on a women's body in terms of frequency of injury, partly because so much technique and technology for SHOES is made for a man's body.

    Women's running shoes are usually just men's shoes scaled down for a women's foot, when really for a women's body make-up and frame you need a different kind of shoe to properly distribute and take the impact.

    Did someone else already mention this? But yeah, esp. because a women's hips are a larger ratio to her waist and body than a man's, the impact on the knees and joints can be brutal. Plus, not be all vain and stuff but the outdoor elements can kill your skin and after a while all the pounding/up down you do on your body in distance running means the extra effects of gravity add up. My friend is a marathon runner and she got so much sun damage she had an acid peel done to remove the freckles.

    If you do run as a woman, I'd research and get the best shoes you can, run on softer surfaces (not a treadmill), and use proper form.

    If you want to go *faster* as the OP asked or get less fatigued, you can try "wogging" or walking/jogging. You engage your core muscles more, particularly the core muscles linked to your legs. So you use your abdomen/core more to run than just your calves or thighs. You use less energy and can run longer and faster.

    You can also try "chi running" which I don't know the specifics on but supposedly helps a lot with those issues of injury, fatigue, and time.

    If you want to burn more calories while running engage your thighs/upper legs and pump your arms more.

    As for training programs and groups, there are always free run groups in larger cities, specific and general. I know there are well organized GLBT running groups in NYC and DC and also women's fitness and general running enthusiast groups. You can also sign up to train for a marathon and many will set you up with a program or help you meet others to train together.

    I refuse to run myself because of the research I've done (plus I ran regularly as a t/w/een and had knee issues because of it) but I have friends who do triathalons/marathons and run regularly.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

    "I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

    Johari/Nohari

  4. #24
    The Memes Justify the End EcK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    738
    Socionics
    ILE None
    Posts
    7,262

    Default

    If somebody's training for a marathon, running less than 45 mins is just kind of lame.

    Also, you have to know about the 'wall' people get into once their liver's glycogen reserves run out, that can leave you pretty phased out.

    I'd kind of recommend trying elliptical bikes to begin with. I have one at home btw, I love to use it while watching movies. it's a good place to start getting your body and mind used to long cardio sessions, and it's much easier on the joints/feet.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

    Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

    “I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

    "Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

  5. #25
    Senior Member WickedQueen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    183

    Default

    Good musics will help you to be more focus on running.


    .

  6. #26
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Posts
    3,187

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    If somebody's training for a marathon, running less than 45 mins is just kind of lame.

    Also, you have to know about the 'wall' people get into once their liver's glycogen reserves run out, that can leave you pretty phased out.

    I'd kind of recommend trying elliptical bikes to begin with. I have one at home btw, I love to use it while watching movies. it's a good place to start getting your body and mind used to long cardio sessions, and it's much easier on the joints/feet.
    Bike riding is much less intense than actually running though since the latter actually uses your whole body and resistance against gravity. Adding in the bike should probably be more like extra training on top of running.

  7. #27
    morose bourgeoisie
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,859

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by run View Post
    My first thought when I read '3 miles in 35 minutes' is that the average person walks at 3-4 mph. You're running at 5mph. This tells me you could probably work on your form. I don't know how much you weigh, but there's 200+ pound guys running 19 minute 5k's. The best marathon runners are sometimes stocky and 5'5". It's doable, its all in how you do it.

    Stocky competitive marathoner? Huh? Power-to-weight ratio is critical for runners too.

  8. #28
    Senior Member run's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    :run
    Posts
    466

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    Stocky competitive marathoner? Huh? Power-to-weight ratio is critical for runners too.
    Yeah you're right, I don't know where I got that from.

  9. #29
    Just a statistic rhinosaur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    1,470

    Default

    So I had an idea the other day when I was running, and it went something like this. Tell me if I'm wrong, because I'm pretty new at this too but really need to amp up my training. Here is my idea.

    -- Muscles recover faster than joints, ligaments, tendons, whatever
    -- Strong muscles help strengthen joints, ligaments, tendons, whatever
    -- Therefore, instead of doing intense workouts less frequently, I should do less intense workouts more frequently.

  10. #30
    Senior Member run's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    :run
    Posts
    466

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rhinosaur View Post
    -- Therefore, instead of doing intense workouts less frequently, I should do less intense workouts more frequently.
    yeah that's pretty much it



    by the way, I was wondering -- I'm getting back into running and I'm wondering how best to increase mileage.

    Do you hit it hard and maintain for 3 weeks, or inch up a little bit each week?

Similar Threads

  1. Running/Injuries
    By Eileen in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 11-25-2007, 05:29 PM
  2. Running the virtual mind.
    By Chaselation in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-08-2007, 03:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO