• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

prescription refills

laintpe

Summer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
i'm mostly posting this because i'm incredibly annoyed. I have a prescription for daytrana (it says it's for kids, but adults can take it as well)... but i sort of forgot about using it for awhile and recently used up the remainder of what had been left of my last prescription. anyway, it's a lifesaver. There are almost no negative side effects and I can finish whatever needs to be completed.. blah blah blah. So, yesterday I called my regular doctor's office and asked if they could call in a refill... the receptionist took my name and other info and said, "we'll get back to you." I never heard back that day, so I called again this afternoon only to be told, "Call your pharmacy and have them send us a request for a refill." OK. *Calls pharmacy* Everything seems fine until I give them the name of the medication- "We can't request refills on narcotics," she claims, "You will have to have your doctor call in a new prescription." *calls regular doctor back* Receptionist: "What do you use Daytrana for?" (Given that it is for ADD, I don't know what she expected to hear.)... "We'll get back to you." So I finally resorted to calling my wacky psychiatrist who charges way too much and set up an appointment... an appointment that will last for 5 minutes... a series of DSM questions that have already been answered, and a check for $150-250 depending on how he categorizes the appointment. I sent an email 5 minutes later requesting an over-the-phone appointment so I don't have to wait another week. This shouldn't be so difficult... or am I just impatient?

maliafee

No, you're not. That sounds HORRIBLY annoying.

Just from experience, I know that unfortunately the first step is to always request your pharmacy to fax in a refill request. That might have cut your time down a little, but how are you supposed to know this without going through the crap you just went through?

SUCKS.

scattershot

MBTI Type
ENFP
This shouldn't be so difficult... or am I just impatient?

No, it shouldn't be that difficult, but they're really anal about ADD meds these days. I take Adderall and my doctor can't even fax in a refill - it has to be some special duplicate prescription form. I was living out of town during my last refill, so I had to have a stupid 15 minute phone appointment before he'd mail me a script. We talked about college football for the whole phone call...and then I had to pay him $75. :rolleyes2:

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Same for Ritalin, total BS. I have to drive over to my HMO doctor's office and pick up a paper copy of the Rx with a hologram on it so it can't be forged.

Ohhhhh how official.

Let me tell you something, if I wanted to abuse stimulants, I wouldn't be going to my MD for Ritalin. This is total BS of the medical/legal/law enforcement complex.

There are days when I don't need it, but when I'm asked to do 2 things I have no interest in and have them done by noon and my job depends on it, guess what, I'm fucked if I don't have it. Sorry my brain is different than most, I guess I should crucify myself for it someday. :violin:

Sorry you have to deal with that too.

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
i have to deal with this kind of stuff every time i get my Paxil refilled and it is very annoying.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
i have to deal with this kind of stuff every time i get my Paxil refilled and it is very annoying.

Are you serious? Paxil? It has no street value whatsoever, why in God's name would it be controlled like that? I know you can get that and many other SSRIs on legitimate US pahrmacy websites, with an online MD consultation. WTF? I am confused now. :shock:

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Well from the medical side... drugs used for psychiatric disorders requires a special prescription because getting on the drug when you've stop can lead to suicidal tendencies. Last thing they want is people killing themselves. That's why there are those phone-in appointments etc.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well from the medical side... drugs used for psychiatric disorders requires a special prescription because getting on the drug when you've stop can lead to suicidal tendencies. Last thing they want is people killing themselves. That's why there are those phone-in appointments etc.

OK, so how does fillling out an online form for an SSRI via the Internet, with Visa card in hand, count as medical intervention with regard to someone going on a suicidal withdrawal episode? I still cry B.S. Whatever.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
It sounds like it might work best to find out what the issue is with your regular doc getting an Rx to you. Tell the doc directly about the issue. If he/she doesn't have a workable solution, maybe switching doctors would help.

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Are you serious? Paxil? It has no street value whatsoever, why in God's name would it be controlled like that? I know you can get that and many other SSRIs on legitimate US pahrmacy websites, with an online MD consultation. WTF? I am confused now. :shock:

my doctor only writes one moth prescriptions because he apparently wants me to come into his office and spend a fortune once a month just to be prescribed medication for clinical depression. He claims its to make sure the drugs are working.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
OK, so how does fillling out an online form for an SSRI via the Internet, with Visa card in hand, count as medical intervention with regard to someone going on a suicidal withdrawal episode? I still cry B.S. Whatever.

That, my friend, is a loophole... The original intent for check-up prior to prescription is that. Also the first time you go on, the doc's suppose to do a 2 week follow-up to ensure you're okay.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
my doctor only writes one moth prescriptions because he apparently wants me to come into his office and spend a fortune once a month just to be prescribed medication for clinical depression. He claims its to make sure the drugs are working.

Tell him to go fuck himself, and see what he says; I'm not kidding. You need a new doctor, yours is into needless, fraudulent billing.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
That, my friend, is a loophole... The original intent for check-up prior to prescription is that. Also the first time you go on, the doc's suppose to do a 2 week follow-up to ensure you're okay.

OK, but what about after the 2 weeks? Why should someone who has been on an SSRI, SNRI, or other anti-anxiolytic/anti-depressant for an extended period of time have to put up with that? Maybe so doctors can bill insurance companies needlessly? Come now, Nightning, you know better...

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
OK, but what about after the 2 weeks? Why should someone who has been on an SSRI, SNRI, or other anti-anxiolytic/anti-depressant for an extended period of time have to put up with that? Maybe so doctors can bill insurance companies needlessly? Come now, Nightning, you know better...

Because if people can be off the drug... they should be.

here's why
Chemical imbalance | Straight.com

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Because if people can be off the drug... they should be.

here's why
Chemical imbalance | Straight.com

Don't know how that relates, but my stand on this is the same as my stand on many other things: Personal Choice Regins Supreme. If a person wishes to be medicated, or cease taking medication, it should be their decision, unless they are "koo-koo." Don't tell me how to care for myself, and I won't tell you how to care for yourself. ;) Isn't that a great attitude to have? :happy:

laintpe

Summer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
hmm... well, actually, i've heard it's easier to get anti-depressants than ADD meds. I sent him an email and he gave me his cell number... i suppose that means i can have a phone consultation. i've been reading about neuroplasticity and pretending to implement the tedious techniques/processes used in order to make myself think i am improving the state of my mercurial thoughts. i really just want those patches.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Don't know how that relates, but my stand on this is the same as my stand on many other things: Personal Choice Regins Supreme. If a person wishes to be medicated, or cease taking medication, it should be their decision, unless they are "koo-koo." Don't tell me how to care for myself, and I won't tell you how to care for yourself. ;) Isn't that a great attitude to have? :happy:

That is true assuming the individual has sufficient knowledge on the issue. Part of the consultation should be that... informing the patient about the details. But the medical system is epic fail when it comes to that.

Is it ethical to have a blindfolded individual step off a cliff without telling them the cliff is there?

Of course we can't just blame the system... we as patients are also at fault... because we don't want to know about the details... "I just want those patches"... Me too. :blush:

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Get medical insurance?