User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Migraine Help!

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Unhappy Migraine Help!

I started getting migraines with aura about 4 years ago. I have gotten about 10 total since then and they are probably the worst experiences that I have ever physically had to endure.

It starts off with an aura, a zig zag line in my eye-sight and a loss of vision. About 30 minutes after that first sign, a head-ache will come on. An hour after the first sign of the head ache began, it is all it's full height. My eyes throb, I can't move, my head is in complete and insane pain and I am freaking out. Another 20 minutes and the nausea comes on, and after another hour, I'll throw up.

I had one yesterday, the first in a few months. It was one of the worst ones yet, and I am fed up with these and need to do something. I can sometimes catch them- when I first see the aura, I'll take pain killers and go right to bed. Most of the time I won't be able to fall asleep as it could be the middle of the day, and I get screwed. I can stop from throwing up my hyperventilating to stop the nausea and help my system digest any waste that I would otherwise throw up. At it's worst, the pain is unbearable in my head, and I am feeling waves of nausea. I can't explain it..maybe some of you get these?

I have narrowed down the root cause of them- exercising on an empty stomach, or exercising without a lot of sleep or food in my system. I can sometimes control them by waiting until after lunch to exercise, eating a big breakfast, and sleeping well. The only problem is that my gym period is scheduled before lunch in school, so this year has been rough.

Now it's your turn. Have you had a migraine like this? What can I do to prevent them even better and what can I do to ease this killer pain? It's so terrible, I can't compare it to anything. I'm not in the mind to go to the docs and get work done, as it's not a severe thing. I would go to the docs to get medicine for it, though. Anyone has any experience or advice? I'm running cold here, I am at the end of my rope with these things, I can't stand them. I have had enough and I need to know if anyone has anything to share?
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

try to see if cutting out red food coloring helps.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

I had one yesterday... but that was strictly my own fault for drinking.

I believe migraine headaches are mostly due to vasodilation of the blood vessels in your head. You get fluid build-up and that applies pressure inside your skull and gives you a headache. It could also be a low blood sugar thing. Which seems likely in your case.

Perhaps try drinking some juice just before you exercise? That might help...
    My stuff (design & other junk) lives here: http://nnbox.ca

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

i have low blood sugar and get migraines sometimes when i don't eat enough too...yep.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    ENTJ

OneWithSoul - go see a doctor. Seriously. I have been getting migraine with aura since about 14 years old, and am on preventative medication. I also have an injection pen for when I get one (which I don't very much these days because of the meds i take to prevent them).

Migraines are HELL, and it is so worth trying to stop them before they even happen. Go see a Dr. I hate to even read about someone going through them. Ugh,
    "Only an irrational dumbass, would burn Jews." - Jaguar

"please give concise answers in plain English" - request from Provoker

MBTI
    infp

I used to get repeat attacks for years, was even going to the doctor often because I was concerned it was something worse lol.

They were so bad, they would come on outside and I would stagger home in excrutiating agony, often throwing up before I reached home.

Nothing I ever did worked for me, aside from lying in a darkened room and sleeping it off.

For some strange and wonderful reason I no longer get them, I have no idea why, they just vanished a few years ago and I was only aware of how long it had been since I had experienced a migraine a few months ago.

My diet change could explain it, maybe, since I no longer eat any chocolate whatsoever or cheese, or pretty much any junk food (I only eat home cooked meals these days), but I honestly can't say for sure since I tried elimination diets pre-migraine free days and it didn't ever work back then.

Migraines are harsh, I'm sorry to hear you are suffering them too.
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari

MBTI
    GONE

I used to have banging migraines from tweens to early 20s that would hurt for 24 hours (go to sleep with it, wake up with it) but I think it was because of TMJ and tooth grinding. After I got orthodontic work done that corrected my bite and I became more conscious of clenching my jaw, they have all but disappeared. I also got lasik for my eyes so no more eye strain as a contributing factor.

The last time I got a migraine it was after I inhaled a bunch of Popeye's chicken. Not kidding. I think it was the salt and preservatives.

I had a roommate with crazy food allergies. She also cut out red foods - if you are sensitive, you'd be surprised what the most benign everyday things can do to you.

Keep your body fueled and with enough elecotrolytes.

And yes, see a doctor - someone who specializes or has a lot of experience with migraines.

My doctor actually thought I had a brain tumor so I had to get an MRI (cat scan wouldn't do) and extensive blood work but the good news is my cranium is completely normal.

Other than the TMJ and eyestrain as causes, I think my doctor (and some other doctors) would just chalk up continuing migraines to a non-life threatening 'unexplained' phenomena. I haven't had them in years though (knock on wood) so I think I found the and fixed the cause of my migraines.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Thanks for all of the advice- I think it's different for a lot of people, but a lot of things are similar. I respect your sympathy and help, it makes me feel A LOT better to come to know other people get it.

Some questions-
    What do you mean by red foods? Can you guys be specific about it?

From start to finish, the whole thing only lasts about 3 hours..do you think it will go away if it's not that bad?

I have a little bit of a low blood sugar problem..and like you said, eating better is probably good- any food groups to aid with low blood sugar? (NO, I'm not diabetic, it's just a minor problem)

If I went to the docs, could I just tell him I get migraines? or would they have to run tests to prescribe a medication?

Thanks, guys!
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    INTP

I've never had a migraine but I do struggle a bit with low blood sugar crashes. I have to be *really* careful with what I eat for breakfast. Low GI foods are the best, like porridge, peanut butter (the no-sugar kind!) on multigrain bread, muesli, poached eggs on toast etc. Eating a reasonable amount of protein helps as well, like meat or fish for dinner, nuts as snacks during the day, glass of milk, low fat cheese etc.
    ...so much smoke pouring out of each chromosome.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by bluebell View Post
    I've never had a migraine but I do struggle a bit with low blood sugar crashes. I have to be *really* careful with what I eat for breakfast. Low GI foods are the best, like porridge, peanut butter (the no-sugar kind!) on multigrain bread, muesli, poached eggs on toast etc. Eating a reasonable amount of protein helps as well, like meat or fish for dinner, nuts as snacks during the day, glass of milk, low fat cheese etc.
    Thanks for the advice. I can notice that when my blood sugar's low, I feel a little faint, I get little short spells of lightheadedness, and I can feel my feet and palm tingle a little. It's nothing bad, though, I've had it checked out. I think migraines could be diet related, as I have been sick lately, didn't eat breakfast yesterday, and went to gym class and put in a hard exercise, which was a bad move- as I got a migraine that afternoon.