• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Migraine Help!

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I started getting migraines with aura about 4 years ago. I have gotten about 10 total since then and they are probably the worst experiences that I have ever physically had to endure.

It starts off with an aura, a zig zag line in my eye-sight and a loss of vision. About 30 minutes after that first sign, a head-ache will come on. An hour after the first sign of the head ache began, it is all it's full height. My eyes throb, I can't move, my head is in complete and insane pain and I am freaking out. Another 20 minutes and the nausea comes on, and after another hour, I'll throw up.

I had one yesterday, the first in a few months. It was one of the worst ones yet, and I am fed up with these and need to do something. I can sometimes catch them- when I first see the aura, I'll take pain killers and go right to bed. Most of the time I won't be able to fall asleep as it could be the middle of the day, and I get screwed. I can stop from throwing up my hyperventilating to stop the nausea and help my system digest any waste that I would otherwise throw up. At it's worst, the pain is unbearable in my head, and I am feeling waves of nausea. I can't explain it..maybe some of you get these?

I have narrowed down the root cause of them- exercising on an empty stomach, or exercising without a lot of sleep or food in my system. I can sometimes control them by waiting until after lunch to exercise, eating a big breakfast, and sleeping well. The only problem is that my gym period is scheduled before lunch in school, so this year has been rough.

Now it's your turn. Have you had a migraine like this? What can I do to prevent them even better and what can I do to ease this killer pain? It's so terrible, I can't compare it to anything. I'm not in the mind to go to the docs and get work done, as it's not a severe thing. I would go to the docs to get medicine for it, though. Anyone has any experience or advice? I'm running cold here, I am at the end of my rope with these things, I can't stand them. I have had enough and I need to know if anyone has anything to share?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
try to see if cutting out red food coloring helps.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
I had one yesterday... but that was strictly my own fault for drinking.

I believe migraine headaches are mostly due to vasodilation of the blood vessels in your head. You get fluid build-up and that applies pressure inside your skull and gives you a headache. It could also be a low blood sugar thing. Which seems likely in your case.

Perhaps try drinking some juice just before you exercise? That might help...

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i have low blood sugar and get migraines sometimes when i don't eat enough too...yep.

Kangirl

I'm a star.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
OneWithSoul - go see a doctor. Seriously. I have been getting migraine with aura since about 14 years old, and am on preventative medication. I also have an injection pen for when I get one (which I don't very much these days because of the meds i take to prevent them).

Migraines are HELL, and it is so worth trying to stop them before they even happen. Go see a Dr. I hate to even read about someone going through them. Ugh,

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
I used to get repeat attacks for years, was even going to the doctor often because I was concerned it was something worse lol.

They were so bad, they would come on outside and I would stagger home in excrutiating agony, often throwing up before I reached home.

Nothing I ever did worked for me, aside from lying in a darkened room and sleeping it off.

For some strange and wonderful reason I no longer get them, I have no idea why, they just vanished a few years ago and I was only aware of how long it had been since I had experienced a migraine a few months ago.

My diet change could explain it, maybe, since I no longer eat any chocolate whatsoever or cheese, or pretty much any junk food (I only eat home cooked meals these days), but I honestly can't say for sure since I tried elimination diets pre-migraine free days and it didn't ever work back then.

Migraines are harsh, I'm sorry to hear you are suffering them too. :hug:

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
I used to have banging migraines from tweens to early 20s that would hurt for 24 hours (go to sleep with it, wake up with it) but I think it was because of TMJ and tooth grinding. After I got orthodontic work done that corrected my bite and I became more conscious of clenching my jaw, they have all but disappeared. I also got lasik for my eyes so no more eye strain as a contributing factor.

The last time I got a migraine it was after I inhaled a bunch of Popeye's chicken. Not kidding. I think it was the salt and preservatives.

I had a roommate with crazy food allergies. She also cut out red foods - if you are sensitive, you'd be surprised what the most benign everyday things can do to you.

Keep your body fueled and with enough elecotrolytes.

And yes, see a doctor - someone who specializes or has a lot of experience with migraines.

My doctor actually thought I had a brain tumor so I had to get an MRI (cat scan wouldn't do) and extensive blood work but the good news is my cranium is completely normal.

Other than the TMJ and eyestrain as causes, I think my doctor (and some other doctors) would just chalk up continuing migraines to a non-life threatening 'unexplained' phenomena. I haven't had them in years though (knock on wood) so I think I found the and fixed the cause of my migraines.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Thanks for all of the advice- I think it's different for a lot of people, but a lot of things are similar. I respect your sympathy and help, it makes me feel A LOT better to come to know other people get it.

Some questions-
What do you mean by red foods? Can you guys be specific about it?

From start to finish, the whole thing only lasts about 3 hours..do you think it will go away if it's not that bad?

I have a little bit of a low blood sugar problem..and like you said, eating better is probably good- any food groups to aid with low blood sugar? (NO, I'm not diabetic, it's just a minor problem)

If I went to the docs, could I just tell him I get migraines? or would they have to run tests to prescribe a medication?

Thanks, guys!

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
I've never had a migraine but I do struggle a bit with low blood sugar crashes. I have to be *really* careful with what I eat for breakfast. Low GI foods are the best, like porridge, peanut butter (the no-sugar kind!) on multigrain bread, muesli, poached eggs on toast etc. Eating a reasonable amount of protein helps as well, like meat or fish for dinner, nuts as snacks during the day, glass of milk, low fat cheese etc.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I've never had a migraine but I do struggle a bit with low blood sugar crashes. I have to be *really* careful with what I eat for breakfast. Low GI foods are the best, like porridge, peanut butter (the no-sugar kind!) on multigrain bread, muesli, poached eggs on toast etc. Eating a reasonable amount of protein helps as well, like meat or fish for dinner, nuts as snacks during the day, glass of milk, low fat cheese etc.

Thanks for the advice. I can notice that when my blood sugar's low, I feel a little faint, I get little short spells of lightheadedness, and I can feel my feet and palm tingle a little. It's nothing bad, though, I've had it checked out. I think migraines could be diet related, as I have been sick lately, didn't eat breakfast yesterday, and went to gym class and put in a hard exercise, which was a bad move- as I got a migraine that afternoon.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I started getting migraines with aura about 4 years ago. I have gotten about 10 total since then and they are probably the worst experiences that I have ever physically had to endure.

It starts off with an aura, a zig zag line in my eye-sight and a loss of vision. About 30 minutes after that first sign, a head-ache will come on. An hour after the first sign of the head ache began, it is all it's full height. My eyes throb, I can't move, my head is in complete and insane pain and I am freaking out. Another 20 minutes and the nausea comes on, and after another hour, I'll throw up.

I had one yesterday, the first in a few months. It was one of the worst ones yet, and I am fed up with these and need to do something. I can sometimes catch them- when I first see the aura, I'll take pain killers and go right to bed. Most of the time I won't be able to fall asleep as it could be the middle of the day, and I get screwed. I can stop from throwing up my hyperventilating to stop the nausea and help my system digest any waste that I would otherwise throw up. At it's worst, the pain is unbearable in my head, and I am feeling waves of nausea. I can't explain it..maybe some of you get these?

I have narrowed down the root cause of them- exercising on an empty stomach, or exercising without a lot of sleep or food in my system. I can sometimes control them by waiting until after lunch to exercise, eating a big breakfast, and sleeping well. The only problem is that my gym period is scheduled before lunch in school, so this year has been rough.

Now it's your turn. Have you had a migraine like this? What can I do to prevent them even better and what can I do to ease this killer pain? It's so terrible, I can't compare it to anything. I'm not in the mind to go to the docs and get work done, as it's not a severe thing. I would go to the docs to get medicine for it, though. Anyone has any experience or advice? I'm running cold here, I am at the end of my rope with these things, I can't stand them. I have had enough and I need to know if anyone has anything to share?
I use Imitrex and Maxalt for my migraines. I've gotten them every month for 18 years, for about 3-4 days at a time. I used to manage them with antihistamines/decongestants and caffeine, but when the nausea started accompanying them, I couldn't keep stuff down.

You REALLY need to see a doctor about these headaches. They're NOT normal. I would think if it has to do with exercise on an empty stomach that you could keep a couple of food bars in your backpack for emergencies.

Juice is a good idea, too.

I think the doctor should run some blood tests. It depends on your symptoms and what causes them.

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
Thanks for the advice. I can notice that when my blood sugar's low, I feel a little faint, I get little short spells of lightheadedness, and I can feel my feet and palm tingle a little. It's nothing bad, though, I've had it checked out.

I think the trick is to avoid getting to that state, which is why I'm really careful about what I eat for breakfast. If the only option is something sugary for breakfast, I'm better off skipping breakfast. Sugary/high GI breakfasts really mess me up for the whole day.

If I skip lunch or eat it too late (eg I'm caught up in a meeting), I stop feeling hungry and I get really nauseous and light headed and can't face eating anything. I have to make myself eat something despite the nausea, and I feel like total crap for the rest of the day. If I'm at work, I have to go home because I feel so blech.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Some questions-
What do you mean by red foods? Can you guys be specific about it?

Well I've heard food high on tyramine can give you headaches... like some cheese, chocolate and red wine. MSG as seasoning is also bad.

From start to finish, the whole thing only lasts about 3 hours..do you think it will go away if it's not that bad?
migraines usually go away by themselves... but those hours are horrid to go through.

I have a little bit of a low blood sugar problem..and like you said, eating better is probably good- any food groups to aid with low blood sugar? (NO, I'm not diabetic, it's just a minor problem)
For quick boost of sugar, juice works well. Something like sweetened apple juice or orange juice. Liquid is quicker to absorbed... less digestion required. As to diet, just something balanced... if your liver has difficulties maintaining constant blood sugar levels, have smaller portion size but eat often.

If I went to the docs, could I just tell him I get migraines? or would they have to run tests to prescribe a medication?
Tell him you have periodic migraine headaches. He'll ask you for more details about them, like duration, severity of pain, whether you get auras, what sort, are there any triggers etc. Then he'll probably order up a blood test and prescribe something... more testing if necessary depending on the results.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper

Yes, mine are chronic and I've had them since I was 12. The first time I got one I thought I was dying. My symptoms are exactly as you describe. My onset is stress, or exercise without being properly hydrated or nourished. I went through a period of where I would have them 3 times a week, so I had to get an MRI and physical test, and I got put on an anti-seizure medication to prevent them, which helped. The only thing I can recommend is pack some snacks for school, and drink a lot of fluids. If your teachers give you shit about eating, tell them to fuck themselves, it's only high school.

Also, consider taking benadryl with the pain killers, it will help you fall asleep wicked fast. That's what I do. For me, the day after is almost worse. It's like I'm in a fog and my brain has short circuited.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Sometimes, strong pain killers coupled with caffeine can stop an imminent migrain in its tracks. Your mileage may vary (caffeine can also make it worse...)

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

OK, here's the deal from my perspective.

I first had migraine headaches in about the 5th-6th grade. I've also had sinus headaches for that long.

When I was a kid, I would go to the school nurse's office and she would look at me and say "You are pale white, are you OK?" and I would say "Could you please not talk so loud?" Then she would turn the lights out in her office and let me sit there in the dark until my Mom came to pick me up.

I've been prescribed Midrin and Imitrex over the years. Sometimes taking ibuprofen + tylenol (the two DO NOT interact so you can take them 2 hours apart and be OK with no side effects, as per my MD) and even a cup of coffee (caffeine = vasodilator) helps a bit too.

Silence and darkness are ALWAYS golden when a migraine sets in. As far as aura, I know what you mean. One of the worst triggers for me has been the smell of bananas, I have no idea why, but they send me into an infernal headache, just like Stargazer Lilies from a florist.

Anyhow, this past September, I wound up with THE WORST headache of my life. I could not see, I could not think, the back of my head felt like it had been punded with a hammer, my sinuses were clogged yet I could not blow my nose, and my neck (left side only) was locked into constant tension. I called my HMO's after hours hotline and they referred me to "urgent care."

I arrived and the doctor met me in the exam room with my sunglasses on, laying back on the bench, trying to listen to him without throwing up. I told him of my symptoms and he said "Son, you have a combination headache: migraine + sinus + tension (the neck pain)." He told me that I could get 3 injections to knock it all out, but I would need to be driven home. The injections were:

(1) Deca Dron (fast acting corticosteroid)
(2) Stadol (opiate, also used for women during childbirth, for pain)
(3) Butalibiatal (a mild barbituate), caffeine, and acetaminophen

They could not give me the shots until my ride home arrived. Once that happened, a nurse came in and stabbed me with the meds. Then I was ordered to sit down into a wheelchair. As I started arguing my knees gave way. I was wheeled out to the car of my friend while I was telling the nurse "Thanks alot and I hope you have a really nice evening."

I got into my friend's car, and saw a lady and her daughter crossing in front of us (about 9:30 PM) walking into the clinic. The daughter looked at me and then immediately truned into an angel and then dissipated before my eyes into a cloud of bubbles, up toward Heaven.

Then on the way home I stated "I am hungery, please go to Wendy's." I got a #2 combo, and when it arrived in my hands, all I could do was open the wrapper. I could not even see the burger, but I bit in and devoured it on the way home. I then was thrown into bed and did not wake until late the next morning.

These headaches can be a BIG deal my friend. I now have a prescription for "Firoicet" which is butalibital, caffeine, and hydrocodone (Vicodin). It really kicks ass over the Midrin or the Imitrex. If I start to get a headache (migraine/sinus/tension) that does not respond to OTC meds, I take 2 of these, go nite nite, and then I am good to go.

Figure out what works for you, avoid your known triggers, MANAGE YOUR STRESS (#1 important, IMHO) and be smart.

I wish you the best, those headaches are the worst Bro.

Best,

-Alex

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
From my own awful experiences with migraines, -- most of my trouble went away when I stopped eating chocolate (a pretty common migraine trigger). They were vicious.

Two guys I know who've dealt with migraines since childhood recommend the herb, feverfew. Both of them took prescription migraine medications, and they say that the feverfew cut down or eliminated the headaches.

Sometimes it can be a change in the weather, stress, a chemical reaction, hormones (example: women experience more migraines etc with cycle changes), or a food allergy.

Ugh. Migraines. You have my sympathies. :hug:

Kangirl

I'm a star.
MBTI Type
ENTJ

Yes. Tell him/her you get migraines with aura and discuss what possible triggers you may have noticed. I have never found a solid trigger for mine, although low-pressure weather systems sometimes seem to coincide with a migraine.

I take Inderal/propranolol to prevent the migraines and it works very well. It's a blood pressure drug and, as I have normal blood pressure it causes me to be slightly dizzy if I stand up too quickly etc. I think the injectable drug I have is Imitrex, or a form of it, but I also have Zomig in pill form.

Lastly, I am with Jock - try to pop a Benadryl or a travel sickness (dramamine) tab at the *first* sign of a migraine - I do this every time and they usualy knock me out pretty quickly - sleeping a migraine off is infinitely preferable to suffering through it awake.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Wait, I've had migraines for years now, and this is the first time I'm hearing about blood sugar.

For me it has always been either kinda random (I can see no correlation with anything really) or triggered by stress or after heavy exercising.

I'm glad I've had no access to guns at home, because some of those migraines....

Curiously enough, I think I'm having less and less as time passes. I haven't had one for at least an year. Then again, every time I sense one is coming up I take some medicine.

S

Sniffles

Yeah I deal with migranes all the time. :(

I agree with Geoff that caffeine can really help with them. That's why it's in many migrane medicines like Excedrin. I often joke that after taking one, I don't need to drink coffee for work. :tongue: