• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Lifting Thread

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
I primarily train for mixed martial arts. Since last august, I've been going to MMA classes 4 times a week. Mondays and Wednesdays are Muay Thai, and Tue and Thurs are Combat Submission Wrestling/Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. My primary goal was to increase my overall level of cardiovascular fitness while maintaining strength and having fun in the process.

Initially I wanted to practice MMA for pure fitness reasons, but as time went on, I became more interested in competition and sparring.

Recently (as in this week) I've started lifting again. I've been lifting three days a week in addition to MMA. I'm trying to gain strength and mass in order to be a more competitive light heavyweight (205lb).

The Third Rider

MBTI Type
ENFj
Ok so after I finally gave on losing weight I (from 204 to 197 lbs) I decided to go for mass building because my weight loss came to a screeching halt (I had 17% body fat last I checked). So I went online and looked for some workouts to help me with building mass. I eventually found these work outs by Richard Choueiri:

Mass Building - Chest

Mass Building - Biceps, Brachialis, & Triceps

Mass Building - Back

Mass Building - Shoulders & Neck

And I have also been taking several supplements:

Twin Lab Amino Fluid (two table spoons a day)

L Glutamine (2 scoops a day)

Whey Protein (2 scoops twice a day on work out days 1 on days off)

Fiber (1 tea spoon a day)

PowerFull (to help me with my sleep and mass building) (3 pills half hour before a workout)

Okay, so far I have gained about 9-10 lbs in a month an half. My chest has lost fat, it has gotten tighter, as a matter of fact my whole body feels tighter which is freaking awesome! :D I notice that I have lost fat even though I have gained quite some weight. Me and a friend started to use PowerFull about a week ago, at first it gave me a headache and my friend had one too but he said it wasn't because of the pill. Anyways about two weeks later let me tell that thing gives you a lot strength, we both have been lifting some crazy weight so far so I recommend it. I am loving what I am seeing so far and my next move is to incorporate a 5th day for my training for my legs and also I am looking to see if I can get me some vitamins notably these ones:

Animal Pak (multi vitamins that I am thinking of getting)

Now my question, can I be taking too many supplements? Should I drop any of this stuff? Oh I forgot I also take a fish oil pill every morning too. LOL Anyways, opinions...

Alwar

The Architect
MBTI Type
INTP
I would like to get back into lifting but am afraid of developing bad form as there are no gyms around here with trainers. When I was in high school it was all about how much weight you could throw up rather than proper movement. I do miss that great feeling after a good lifting session which to me was always distinct and far more satisfying than cardio.

avolkiteshvara

MBTI Type
YaYa
Not sure if I answered yet.

I do some Olympic lifts and light weights with intervals. Pick a little up from Crossfit.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Now my question, can I be taking too many supplements? Should I drop any of this stuff? Oh I forgot I also take a fish oil pill every morning too. LOL Anyways, opinions...

Hey there. I don't know if taking "too many supplements" is an issue, more so than taking supplements that if taken together have some type of (dangerous) interaction effect. I have not seen any reports as such that indicate taking "A" at the same time as "B" is potential issue, but that doesn't mean it can't happen. I am no expert, and not one to give advice with regard to health related issues, but I can speak from my own experience.

In general, I have heard that if you are taking vitamins, don't take too much of the fat soluble vitamins (Vitamins D, A, K, and E) as they can build up to a toxic level.

Many years ago, I knew one guy who took way too much "Vanadyl Sulfate" (allegedly mimics insulin and forces carbohydrates into the blood to be stored in muscle tissue) and ended up exhibiting diabetic like symptoms, such as weakness when blood sugar was low, etc.

I have been lifting for 20 years, and eaten my bodyweight in protein powder. It is the only supplement I have ever used with any consistency, as it helps keep your protein intake where it needs to be when trying to build/maintain mass, and allows you to keep your fat and carbohydrate intake in check.

About 6 months ago my former trainer, and very good friend told me to check out the BSN line of supplements. I have used them on and off since and am very pleased with the results they have delivered. Essentially their line of supplements, if taken according to the recommended schedule, loads you with several types of creatine, nitirc oxide, glutamine, and really tricky carbs to utilize while performing extended or intense training. The three products of theirs I am using right now are:

NO-Xplode (Pre-Workout):
NO-XPLODE GRAPE 50 SERVINGS - Supplement | Massnutrition.com

Volumaize (During WOrkout):
VOLUMAIZE BOX SET GRAPE 2.6LB - Supplement | Massnutrition.com

and

Cell Mass (After Workout):
CELLMASS GRAPE 50 SERVINGS - Supplement | Massnutrition.com

The results in me are as follows. I have been dieting down and doing alot of cardio to try and get into shape for summer. I started at a weight of 225 pounds (6'1" tall) and about 2 weeks later was 235 and with a noticeably leaner mid-section. My vascularity improved, and my endurance has been very consistent, no matter what type of workout I throw myself into, 1 hour of cardio + 30 minutes of weights, or an all out 1 hour long powerlifting workout.

Notice all the links I provided are for the GRAPE flavor. It is good, the others are kind of nasty, IMHO, but the grape is yummy. :D

Also, none of these products are pro-hormones or other substances that mimic products of your endocrine system, so from what I can tell, they are safe assuming you are in overall good health and been OK'd for training as such by your MD.

I will note that if you do try these out, one of the labels says to limit your intake of GLUTAMINE supplements. So, keep that in mind.

Best of luck to you!

-Alex

The Third Rider

MBTI Type
ENFj
^ Thanks for the information, I have actually tried NO-XPLODE before and it made me really nervous and my hands would sort of shake a little, needles to say I stopped using it. I might actually give Cell Mass a shot to see if helps. For me so far so good, and I am going to remember not to take too much of the fat soluble vitamins! Thanks, now let me ask you something, right now I don't so too much cardio if any really and I do have some fat in my mid section; since I lift 5 times a week for about 1 hour each how much cardio do you think I should "schedule" into my routines?

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
^ Thanks for the information, I have actually tried NO-XPLODE before and it made me really nervous and my hands would sort of shake a little, needles to say I stopped using it. I might actually give Cell Mass a shot to see if helps. For me so far so good, and I am going to remember not to take too much of the fat soluble vitamins! Thanks, now let me ask you something, right now I don't so too much cardio if any really and I do have some fat in my mid section; since I lift 5 times a week for about 1 hour each how much cardio do you think I should "schedule" into my routines?

Hey, glad some of my initial info seemed useful.

Again, not advice, but speaking from what has worked for me, here it is:

CARDIO: Although not fun, VERY good for you AND your muscles. If you have any fat at all, and you are a young man (<=30 years) then you need to be doing some cardio, and optimally purifying your diet.

FOR CARDIO: I do 30 minutes MINIMUM before each workout (3-4 times per week). Sometimes I do 45 minutes, sometimes I do 60 minutes (on 2-3 machines total) because I am as big as I need to be, and staying lean is more important for me overall. For a developing bodybuilder, cardio ensures you (a) have adequate warm-up to forego muscle strain when lifting, (b) build up LEAN muscle mass and not fat AND muscle, and (c) keeps your heart healthy = VERY IMPORTANT.

FOR DIET: Eat foods only from the PERIMETER of the supermarket = (1) Lean Meats, (2) FRESH Fruits + Veggies, (3) Fresh Dairy products (Milk, cheese, yogurt, hopefully ORGANIC), and (4) Whole Grain breads. DO NOT eat CANNED or BOXED (pop-tarts, cup-o-noodles, etc.) foods as they are full of sodiuj, fat, and preservatives and have LITTLE nutritional value.

Also, if NO-Xplode was an issue for you, CellMass is a good idea as it has no caffeine like NO-Xplode, NEITHER does Volumaize. As far as the Volumaize goes, I like it because when I do 60 minutes of cardio, but sip on 2 scoops of Volumaize + 20 oz. of water, I seem to maintain my stamina, meaning I don't hit the weights exhausted as I would if I did 60 minutes of cardio without some type of high-tech nutrition cocktail as such. Maybe Gatorade works just as good, I have no idea, but Volumaize gives you carbs + alot of the creatine + other nutrients that the BSN system purports is good for overall muscle volumization + performance.

Nothing works the same for everyone, but at this point in time it is working for me. I am most likely going to have to get another (my 4th if it happens) shoulder operation in the next few months. If so, I am getting in the best shape possible NOW, and then going through the surgery and doing the post-op rehabilitation as per doctors orders so I can get back to my normal routine again.

Cheers, :D

-Alex

Alwar

The Architect
MBTI Type
INTP
Do you guys use those leather wrist wraps for dead-lifts or in general? Or anything to protect other joints?

wolfy

awsm
Do you guys use those leather wrist wraps for dead-lifts or in general? Or anything to protect other joints?

I used knee wraps, wrist wraps when I was powerlifting. I have used wrist straps (to hold the bar) but just for max lifts because I found an alternate grip was building an imbalance and I don't like switching the grip. Always right under and left over. I don't use them anymore.

Try to go without them as much as possible. Forearms are one of the most important parts of the physique. And your grip is the single most important factor in utilising your upperbody strength.

Massive Forearms, Strong Grip

Alwar

The Architect
MBTI Type
INTP
It never occurred to me that wristbands would interfere with forearms and come to think of it I've never heard people complain of wrist problems unlike knee/shoulder/elbow.

wolfy

awsm
I lift really fat babies. Zat count?:alttongue:

[/lurk]

Lifting fat babies will help you build a strong upper back and biceps.

Cats work too :alttongue:

10-CATF.jpg

Feops

MBTI Type
INTx
So I seem to be stuck on benching at a rather light mark. :doh:

I'm at around... 120lb which to my knowledge is not heavy enough that I should be having issues. In any given session I'll fatigue in about the same time give or take a couple lifts.

I've been aiming for 3x5 which seems to work nicely for my other exercises but I'm thinking of scaling back my weight to maybe 110 and increasing my lifts to maybe 3x8 for benching. Thoughts?

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Dumbbell presses: Gotta be the best way to increase your bench press.

avolkiteshvara

MBTI Type
YaYa
So I seem to be stuck on benching at a rather light mark. :doh:

I'm at around... 120lb which to my knowledge is not heavy enough that I should be having issues. In any given session I'll fatigue in about the same time give or take a couple lifts.

I've been aiming for 3x5 which seems to work nicely for my other exercises but I'm thinking of scaling back my weight to maybe 110 and increasing my lifts to maybe 3x8 for benching. Thoughts?

Variety and shock.

Work the dumbbells. Temporarily change the amount of rep/sets. Do pushups.

Make sure you are working the whole body also. Big titties with chicken legs looks a little weird.

Feops

MBTI Type
INTx
Variety and shock.

Work the dumbbells. Temporarily change the amount of rep/sets. Do pushups.

Make sure you are working the whole body also. Big titties with chicken legs looks a little weird.

Alright, thanks. I'll try those. :D

I do a number of lifts with full body motions (ie. squats) so I think I hit everything. Benching has just been a point of frustration because I expected fairly rapid improvement until it got much heavier.

But it might also be an issue of food, or rest even. Who knows.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
But it might also be an issue of food, or rest even. Who knows.
Possibly a combo of both, also make sure you're using proper form. Try to focus on dumbbells more instead of using the bar, it forces more stabilizer muscles to work. Focus on expanding your chest when coming down with the weight and then squeezing it tight when coming up. Don't go too heavy to where you're hurting your form and cheating yourself to get the weight up, but at the same time, don't baby yourself.

I had a problem with increasing my bench. It has definitely been the most frustrating as far as lack of progress goes. I still can't bench heavy, but I've definitely seen some improvements (which I had virtually seen none of before) and I attribute it mostly to dumbbell usage. Make sure you're doing inclines as well!

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Dumbbell presses: Gotta be the best way to increase your bench press.

Try weighted dips. Your bench will soar if you integrate these into your routine. ;)