• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Lifting Thread

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm starting to writeup a workout routine.

I'll thinking about lifting every other day, on a three workout routine consisting of back/bi, legs, and chest/tri.

My first question is, how important is it to, and how often, do you vary the exercises? Say I do curls on week one. Do I need to do something else for week 2?

wolfy

awsm
I'm starting to writeup a workout routine.

I'll thinking about lifting every other day, on a three workout routine consisting of back/bi, legs, and chest/tri.

My first question is, how important is it to, and how often, do you vary the exercises? Say I do curls on week one. Do I need to do something else for week 2?

It's more important to vary your sets and reps. Stay with basic movements and get good and strong at them.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I plan on starting to lift either by the end of the week or Tuesday next week.

I’ve been focusing on something for a beginner, something that will develop core strength vs fine tune and optimize. I’ve lifted before, to success, but always seemed to stop right when I could notice the differences and started receiving comments. Right now, I’m in fairly bad shape. I do know many of the basics… the importance of technique vs weight, the importance of resting and proper diet while lifting, etc.

Anyway, here’s the workout, which will be done 3x a week. It alternates between the A and B schedules.

5 minute cardio warmup. Each exercise will have 2 warm up sets.

Routine A
3 x 5 Squat.
3 x 5 Bench
1 x 5 Deadlift
2 x 5-8 Dips (I’ll need to use a machine on this for the first month if I want to do more than a couple reps.)
Incline situps
Hyperextension

Routine B
3 x 5 Squat
3 x 5 Standing Military Press
3 x 5 Bentover Rows
2 x 5-8 Pullups (Again, I’ll need to use the machine for the first month or so to get more than 1 or 2 reps)
Incline Situps
Hyperextensions.

What’s the best way to integrate cardio into the mix? I will be limited to elliptical and the stair master initially, as I have a previous knee injury that I need to slowly integrate into a workout routine. (I’ll also be very conservative with the lifts that use the knee.)

Thanks!

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
I plan on starting to lift either by the end of the week or Tuesday next week.

I’ve been focusing on something for a beginner, something that will develop core strength vs fine tune and optimize. I’ve lifted before, to success, but always seemed to stop right when I could notice the differences and started receiving comments. Right now, I’m in fairly bad shape. I do know many of the basics… the importance of technique vs weight, the importance of resting and proper diet while lifting, etc.

Anyway, here’s the workout, which will be done 3x a week. It alternates between the A and B schedules.

5 minute cardio warmup. Each exercise will have 2 warm up sets.

Routine A
3 x 5 Squat.
3 x 5 Bench
1 x 5 Deadlift
2 x 5-8 Dips (I’ll need to use a machine on this for the first month if I want to do more than a couple reps.)
Incline situps
Hyperextension

Routine B
3 x 5 Squat
3 x 5 Standing Military Press
3 x 5 Bentover Rows
2 x 5-8 Pullups (Again, I’ll need to use the machine for the first month or so to get more than 1 or 2 reps)
Incline Situps
Hyperextensions.

What’s the best way to integrate cardio into the mix? I will be limited to elliptical and the stair master initially, as I have a previous knee injury that I need to slowly integrate into a workout routine. (I’ll also be very conservative with the lifts that use the knee.)

Thanks!

The easiest way is to eliminate rest between sets. And take less than a minute rest between exercises. You'll need to set things up so you don't have down time between sets and exercises though.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
The easiest way is to eliminate rest between sets. And take less than a minute rest between exercises. You'll need to set things up so you don't have down time between sets and exercises though.
highly agreed

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Thanks. :D

Could you explain this a bit more, though? I imagine the preparation would come in from making sure the next exercise is ready to go, so once I finish the first I can just start the second. However, how do I eliminate rests between sets? Or do you mean take very short rests, like 30 seconds?

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
Thanks. :D

Could you explain this a bit more, though? I imagine the preparation would come in from making sure the next exercise is ready to go, so once I finish the first I can just start the second. However, how do I eliminate rests between sets? Or do you mean take very short rests, like 30 seconds?

Yes. :D

Prep the barbells and what have you ahead of time if possible. And don't rest more than 30 seconds between sets. I usually use the 30 seconds to change the weight on a bar, or get another dumbbell. Just don't cheat yourself and rest longer.

I'll probably be getting a nasty PM after you do this. :)

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'll probably be getting a nasty PM after you do this. :)

To send a PM, I would need to 1) Push a button to turn a computer 2) Move my mouse to my internet browser icon 3) Click said icon 4) Type.

I have my doubts that I will be able to perform such strenuous activities after such a workout!! :D

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
To send a PM, I would need to 1) Push a button to turn a computer 2) Move my mouse to my internet browser icon 3) Click said icon 4) Type.

I have my doubts that I will be able to perform such strenuous activities after such a workout!! :D

Nah...You'll be okay. But for the first twelve hours you'll have to time your keyboard strokes to the spasms of your muscles. :D

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
So, I'm a weird freak of nature I've come to find out.

My strength remains pretty consistent when I work out every day, DOING THE SAME MUSCLES. I'm hardly ever sore except for when I overload, but if I take a day off and the next day I go to the gym I become a little bitch and can't lift for shit, whereas if I go back to the gym without having a day's rest I'm perfectly capable of a regular workout session.

Also: Finally able to do 10 neutral-phase pull-ups after two weeks of trying. Fuck yeah.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So how do you guys integrate your workout into your everyday/weekly schedule? What works for you? What time do you usually hit the gym and why?

Also, what brands/kinds of protein powder do you guys recommend?

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
So how do you guys integrate your workout into your everyday/weekly schedule? What works for you? What time do you usually hit the gym and why?

Also, what brands/kinds of protein powder do you guys recommend?
i go 4 days a week and i dont really schedule it. i just make sure i get there. for example, on monday i go after school at around 5. on tuesdays and thursdays (if i dont make it to the gym earlier) i go at 9 at night.

i forget the brand of protein im using now but its phenominal nonetheless. its a good mix of whey concentrate and isolate. 30 grams and oodles of aminos. no sugar. no fat. and tasty.