• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Lifting Thread

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well, I don't know if what I do would be considered 'lifting'; lifting is basically a way for me to do a bit of rehab after a back OP. Most of the exercises I do are for rehabilitation/health purposes, but I thought I'd post anyway, just to show that not only body builders do it. :D

First definitely 60 minutes cardio (because, alas, my body fat is definitely much more than 8-10% :cry:). Usually, I use an elliptical machine for 60 minutes, as it helps me to do upper and lower body warm-up - I can't run due to the OP. Sometimes I alternate with 30 elliptical, 30 stepper. Or I do 30 elliptical, 30 stationary bike.

Then comes the fun part:

Bench Press 15 kg
Chest fly 20 kg
Shoulder Press (Military press) 40 kg
Cable Machine 10-50 kg (various exercises for abs, back, butt, arms, etc.)
Ball exercises (balance, abs, back)
Leg Press 69 kg
Abduction 30-35 kg
Adduction 30-35 kg

Each one 15-20 reps 3x, takes about an hour....

And there you have it. :) I do that 2-3 times a week.

Back when I was more anal-retentive, I would go a couple of times a week in between and just do cardio to lose fat mass, but I've been busy studying for this blasted test, so I just walk or do something else...and go 2-3 times a week.

Thoughts?

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I couldn't see what you are doing for your upper back. Are you doing anything?

EDIT What do you do specifically for the back on the cable machine?

Eh, I don't know the name of the exercises, but I can describe them.

1. I pull the handles so that my wrists face each other. Then I extend both arms diagonally outwards and together again.

2. Wrists face each other and extend arms to the side, perpendicular to the body, and bring them together (as opposed to diagonally).

3. Pull handles back, then extend arms outwards in front of me while squatting at the same time.

All of these are done on these little squishy thingies so that I have to keep my balance, which helps the little muscles...

4. Lie down, extend my arms over my head, handles in hand, bring the handles down towards sides. While doing that, simultaneously doing crunches (lift head up) and bring legs to a 90 degree angle towards the body. That works arms, abs, legs (kinda) and maybe back (?).

This machine press thingy is also different. You sit on this seat and there is a pully with a set of weights that balances out your weight. Then you pull yourself back up with your arms and upper back. Kind of like a less-intense pull up, but not your whole weight, just a part of it....If that makes *any* sense lol. It's hard to describe.

Maybe you have some other ideas what I can do, but they can't stress my lower back too much. Some things I tried but I found that it hurt my back. :blush:

wolfy

awsm
Little Linguist

I think you need to do more rowing.

http://www.exrx.net/AnimatedEx/BackGeneral/CBSeatedRowStraightBack.gif

You really don't need to do flyes.
Maybe you could replace the military presses with raises

http://www.exrx.net/AnimatedEx/DeltoidPosterior/DBLyingRearLateralRaise.gif
http://www.exrx.net/AnimatedEx/DeltoidLateral/DBLateralRaise.gif

It could help your lower back. It may help your posture.
Try and keep the volume of presses and rows about even.

2 sets of 12 raises would be plenty.
Replace the flyes and balance work with rows.

I hope this helped.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Little Linguist

I think you need to do more rowing.

http://www.exrx.net/AnimatedEx/BackGeneral/CBSeatedRowStraightBack.gif

You really don't need to do flyes.
Maybe you could replace the military presses with raises

http://www.exrx.net/AnimatedEx/DeltoidPosterior/DBLyingRearLateralRaise.gif
http://www.exrx.net/AnimatedEx/DeltoidLateral/DBLateralRaise.gif

It could help your lower back. It may help your posture.
Try and keep the volume of presses and rows about even.

2 sets of 12 raises would be plenty.
Replace the flyes and balance work with rows.

I hope this helped.

Hmm...I can't seem to access them. When I click, it just has a weird picture....

Hirsch63

MBTI Type
IS??
When you say woodworking tasks, could you be more specific?

And when you say train them, are we talking people with developmental/physical disabilities? I ask because it appeals to the Occupational Therapy part of me.

Off the top of my head, would it be feasible to raise the work-station table level? Or perhaps add some padding so they have a more stable base to work from?

No Biax I was just addressing the post before mine where a "tall, Skinny guy" wanted advice....and I recolected my youth.

The woodworking that I have taught is has been largely conventional...though currently I have a student who is wheelchair bound....though not bound in any othe way. What I meant by training was our physical and mental awareness and approach to machinery and hand tools as well, which has a direct result on our work in terms of safety and quality. Sorry for the mix-up.

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
No Biax I was just addressing the post before mine where a "tall, Skinny guy" wanted advice....and I recolected my youth.

The woodworking that I have taught is has been largely conventional...though currently I have a student who is wheelchair bound....though not bound in any othe way. What I meant by training was our physical and mental awareness and approach to machinery and hand tools as well, which has a direct result on our work in terms of safety and quality. Sorry for the mix-up.

Okey Dokey...Just wanted to clarify. I would feel stupid if I offered irrelevant advice.

:)

Feops

MBTI Type
INTx
Here's a question..

How do you manage squats with freeweights? Safely getting enough weight up into the proper position is posing a challenge. Failing that I guess I'll increase reps substantially.

wolfy

awsm
Here's a question..

How do you manage squats with freeweights? Safely getting enough weight up into the proper position is posing a challenge. Failing that I guess I'll increase reps substantially.

With no rack? I suppose you could clean it up and do front squats.

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
With no rack? I suppose you could clean it up and do front squats.

+1 Wolfy, get a little extra work in. :)

Depends on what you have available. I have used car jack-stands on heavy duty work benches, placed far enough apart to allow me to stand between. I have also used stacks of plywood that weren't high enough to start in a standing position. But I could do a quarter squat to get under the bar then step back.

If you do anything like those above though, just make sure it's stable and level.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
+1 Wolfy, get a little extra work in. :)

Depends on what you have available. I have used car jack-stands on heavy duty work benches, placed far enough apart to allow me to stand between. I have also used stacks of plywood that weren't high enough to start in a standing position. But I could do a quarter squat to get under the bar then step back.

If you do anything like those above though, just make sure it's stable and level.

Good point! That's really important, if flooring surface is not level, then squat is crooked and you risk lower back injury.

And under NO circumstances attempt to do front squats, without a rack, while wearing rollerblades. That can cause SERIOUS injury! :doh:

xx00oo00xx

MBTI Type
Ixxx
Hey guys. Man this site just keeps getting better (just found this thread today). Here's my technical question:

I'm one of those unlucky guys with stiff ankles so I can't do full, proper squats. I'm 6'1", 155lbs. as well (wiry). Have you heard of anyone like this ever stretching/conditioning their legs so they can eventually do flat-footed, proper form squats? Or, do I have to use heel lifts?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
Hey guys. Man this site just keeps getting better (just found this thread today). Here's my technical question:

I'm one of those unlucky guys with stiff ankles so I can't do full, proper squats. I'm 6'1", 155lbs. as well (wiry). Have you heard of anyone like this ever stretching/conditioning their legs so they can eventually do flat-footed, proper form squats? Or, do I have to use heel lifts?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Actually many weightlifters put a 2 1/2 or 5lb. weight under their heels for squats since depending on foot position, your heels will lift off the floor just a bit as you squat.

It's perfectly legitimate.

And I wouldn't neglect stretching the area, no matter what you decide to do.

xx00oo00xx

MBTI Type
Ixxx
Actually many weightlifters put a 2 1/2 or 5lb. weight under their heels for squats since depending on foot position, your heels will lift off the floor just a bit as you squat.

It's perfectly legitimate.

And I wouldn't neglect stretching the area, no matter what you decide to do.

Ok, good point about stretching. So you don't think it significantly changes which muscles are targeted and how they are targeted? Ha, I know I sound perfectionistic, but it's just that I seemed to be working the front of my legs more than I would in a normal squat (without plates), like the load was being taken away from my hamstrings and glutes. Any ideas of what I was doing wrong? Lifts too high? Leaning forward too much?

edit: by "without plates" I meant under my heels. Just to be clear.

phoenity

I'm just getting over a lower back injury trying to squat.

Squats are very dependent on technique. I wouldn't recommend people add external weight until they can master their own body weight with proper technique.

But then again everyone is free to do whatever they please.