• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Lifting Thread

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Here is a really good article on setting up a home gym

Sick of Your Gym? Part 1 By Dave Tate
Sick of Your Gym? Part2 (How to Start a Private or Home Gym)

There are a few more articles in the series. The second one is about how to start a gym. Here is the list of articles.

This one is funny Sick of Your Gym, Part 6; Metro-Sexuals Be Damned!

Kick ass articles, Wolfy! :nice: I just bought everuy piece of equipment I could jam into my Mom and Dad's basement when I was a kid...I had no real strategy. :shock:

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I got a smith machine. Never really used the smith part thought, thinking about taking the bar off because it just gets in the way. I basically use the front pegs to hold the oly bar between sets and the cable portion. Never really even tried the smith bar on it. Everything I do is either cable, free weights, or body weight type movements.

Heyla all... so here's my query: I want to be able to tumble, do handstands and springs, pullups, plio-pushups, be more agile, manipulate my body in that manner.

I all ready have a good amount of muscle for my sex and size, and don't mind the idea of gaining more lean muscle mass or becoming a bit more streamlined... but either way I'm wondering if there are suggestions/plans somewhere for that kind of goal (and exercises that work more efficiently toward that end) as opposed to specific strength gains or "I want to gain __ inches in my biceps and thighs by September".

Thanks for any assistance ye can give.

To get better at those, do them. Do pullups with all different grips, do static holds, same for pushups, do regular, explosive, static holds at the bottom. For handstand pushups you will have to start with military presses. When you can do sets of 3 sets of 5 around 80% of your body weight you should be able to do handstand pushups. I do them starting from a headstand. My balance still sucks so I fall quite a bit when I hit the top and end up starting back in a headstand.

My goals are like yours. I wanted to be able to do a planche and a front lever, and hand stand pushups. Its more for agility. The closest I can get to a planche is tucking my elbows in my stomach and holding my balance my balance. This is used in break dancing. A front lever I can get to, but not hold for more than a second or 2. For this on my heavy days I do heavy pull overs really stretching it. I alternate between things and dont really have a set routine. I just give it my all everytime and alternate a few heavy weeks with weights and then move to body weight stuff for lots of reps and its been working.

wolfy

awsm
Weightlifting

[YOUTUBE="5sR-3thJLJU"]Vasiliy Alekseyev[/YOUTUBE]

Strongman

[YOUTUBE="CDePMdm8yI0"]Worlds Strongest Man[/YOUTUBE]

Powerlifting

[YOUTUBE="CkF_tHlJa_A"]Andy Bolton Training DVD preview[/YOUTUBE]

yeghor

How strong are you?

Shoulder width pushups (in one go) = 20
Slightly wider than shoulder width grip pullups = 8
Bench Max 1 repetition = 80 kgs = 0,9 x Body Weight
Squat Max 1 repetition = 100 kgs = 1,1 x Body Weight
Regular Deadliy Max 1 repetition = 150 kgs = 1,6 x Body Weight

I've been training for 2 years in gym and this is what I could achieve.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Only the girls use machines.

Generally speaking, yeah. But as I mention below, one huge benefit is you don't need a spotter, so you can safely go til total failure.

Any thoughts on Smith machines versus a cage + freeweights?

I think I'm going to have to go one way or the other soon. I can't get enough weight overhead from the floor to really properly weight my squats.

Ok I haven't read all this but you are trying to build a home gym so you can do some serious squattage?

Yeah, I think you'd have to get some kind of rack. I don't know why it has to be a smith machine though. Much more expensive. The only benefit I can think is it's safer, especially if you're by yourself cuz you can set stop marks.

As for you bench press. Are you plateauing? I can't believe I found this article because it's been like 8 years since I read it but it's about increasing your 1 rep max by 50lbs. I wouldn't even link it but I've tried it, twice. And it WORKED. For me and my friends. A lot of it has to do with negative sets, so either have a spotter or use machines (that's one beauty of machines).

It's wordy at the beginning but you can skip straight to the actual routine:

Add 50LBS To Your Bench Press

As far as what to eat to gain, vitamin D milk if your body tolerates it. And as much as you can drink, haha.

I'm an ectomorph and 30 and been lifting since I was 17 so I know a thing or too about trying to put on weight. After all the years to stupid advice and supplements I tried, D Milk was the only thing that seemed to make a HUGE difference. Like 15-20lbs in a month 1/2. I was lifting at the time of course.

Also, 5 X 5 Strong Lifts is THE best all around mass making program I've ever found (again, if you're interested, just skip to the actual routine).

It's 5 compound lifts done a 3 times a week, but not 5 per workout. Like Monday you do squats, bench press, row.

gromit

likes this
Free weights also have a functional benefit in that you are forced to stabilize, recruit different muscles and neural pathways, since the movement isn't fixed in a single plane.

wolfy

awsm
How strong are you?

Shoulder width pushups (in one go) = 20
Slightly wider than shoulder width grip pullups = 8
Bench Max 1 repetition = 80 kgs = 0,9 x Body Weight
Squat Max 1 repetition = 100 kgs = 1,1 x Body Weight
Regular Deadliy Max 1 repetition = 150 kgs = 1,6 x Body Weight

I've been training for 2 years in gym and this is what I could achieve.

Shoulder width pushups (in one go) = 100+
Slightly wider than shoulder width grip pullups = 20 something
Bench Max 1 repetition = 115kg I am 75
Squat Max 1 repetition = 150 kgs
Regular Deadliy Max 1 repetition = 220kg

I have been training twenty years off and on

wolfy

awsm
Free weights also have a functional benefit in that you are forced to stabilize, recruit different muscles and neural pathways, since the movement isn't fixed in a single plane.

yes, very good. *bows respectfully*

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

True dat. And I like to use dumbbells over barbells when I can. And then I kind of got into a few kettlebell exercises.

I don't know too many, but I'm much more into functional strength these days. Using your whole body (or what you need) to move a heavy object with correct and safe form. That's how you'd do it in real life.

I've done some crossfit workouts, but never really given it a full commitment. It seems awesome if you really educate yourself on how NOT to injure yourself, because the instructors won't. (I may have too much going on right now to start that shit though, that's a lot of time to give to condition your body).

SpankyMcFly

Level 8 Propaganda Bot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
True dat. And I like to use dumbbells over barbells when I can. And then I kind of got into a few kettlebell exercises.

I don't know too many, but I'm much more into functional strength these days. Using your whole body (or what you need) to move a heavy object with correct and safe form. That's how you'd do it in real life.

I've done some crossfit workouts, but never really given it a full commitment. It seems awesome if you really educate yourself on how NOT to injure yourself, because the instructors won't. (I may have too much going on right now to start that shit though, that's a lot of time to give to condition your body).

I find myself getting "addicted" to lifting, in that I can't half ass it. I'm all in or I'm not. Sometimes I miss being single with my only responsibility being my job :D

yeghor

I tried doing freeletics aphrodite programme today.

It took me about 20 minutes (and 4 sets) to even complete the first set of 50 of burpees, squats and situps.

And I was all in sweat and out of breath at the end that. There are people who supposedly do a total of 130 burpees, squats and situps in 20 minutes or so.

Freeletics Aphrodite | Workouts | Tribesports

yeghor

Shoulder width pushups (in one go) = 100+
Slightly wider than shoulder width grip pullups = 20 something
Bench Max 1 repetition = 115kg I am 75
Squat Max 1 repetition = 150 kgs
Regular Deadliy Max 1 repetition = 220kg

I have been training twenty years off and on
Do you recall what percentage of these did you use to lift in your first years of lifting?

wolfy

awsm
Do you recall what percentage of these did you use to lift in your first years of lifting?

How much I used to lift? I remember I could do 60kg bench pretty soon for 5. Deadlift, 140 maybe. Pushups I don't know. I did 150 chin ups in 15 minutes when I was 20 something. Squat, 100 maybe. I am 44 now.

yeghor

How much I used to lift? I remember I could do 60kg bench pretty soon for 5. Deadlift, 140 maybe. Pushups I don't know. I did 150 chin ups in 15 minutes when I was 20 something. Squat, 100 maybe. I am 44 now.

Your existence makes me hate myself so I must destroy you to feel better now.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am planning on trying the 'hypertrophic specific training' from this wednesday.

Has anyone tried it?

great_bay

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
I've been lifting for almost a year. I hating being skinny. My arms were so thin, my friend told me I can punch him in the face and it wouldn't hurt. He was right. I might take the magic S drug to make my progress go faster.