User Tag List

First 4567816 Last

MBTI
    IS??
    Socionics
    InFj

Quote Originally Posted by Biaxident View Post
    When you say woodworking tasks, could you be more specific?

And when you say train them, are we talking people with developmental/physical disabilities? I ask because it appeals to the Occupational Therapy part of me.

Off the top of my head, would it be feasible to raise the work-station table level? Or perhaps add some padding so they have a more stable base to work from?

No Biax I was just addressing the post before mine where a "tall, Skinny guy" wanted advice....and I recolected my youth.

The woodworking that I have taught is has been largely conventional...though currently I have a student who is wheelchair bound....though not bound in any othe way. What I meant by training was our physical and mental awareness and approach to machinery and hand tools as well, which has a direct result on our work in terms of safety and quality. Sorry for the mix-up.
    Patriotism is the last refuge to which a scoundrel clings...Steal a little and they throw you in jail, steal a lot and they make you a king

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Hirsch63 View Post
    No Biax I was just addressing the post before mine where a "tall, Skinny guy" wanted advice....and I recolected my youth.

The woodworking that I have taught is has been largely conventional...though currently I have a student who is wheelchair bound....though not bound in any othe way. What I meant by training was our physical and mental awareness and approach to machinery and hand tools as well, which has a direct result on our work in terms of safety and quality. Sorry for the mix-up.
    Okey Dokey...Just wanted to clarify. I would feel stupid if I offered irrelevant advice.

MBTI
    INTx

Here's a question..

How do you manage squats with freeweights? Safely getting enough weight up into the proper position is posing a challenge. Failing that I guess I'll increase reps substantially.

Quote Originally Posted by Feops View Post
    Here's a question..

How do you manage squats with freeweights? Safely getting enough weight up into the proper position is posing a challenge. Failing that I guess I'll increase reps substantially.
    With no rack? I suppose you could clean it up and do front squats.

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    With no rack? I suppose you could clean it up and do front squats.
    +1 Wolfy, get a little extra work in.

Depends on what you have available. I have used car jack-stands on heavy duty work benches, placed far enough apart to allow me to stand between. I have also used stacks of plywood that weren't high enough to start in a standing position. But I could do a quarter squat to get under the bar then step back.

If you do anything like those above though, just make sure it's stable and level.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

+1 Wolfy, get a little extra work in.

Depends on what you have available. I have used car jack-stands on heavy duty work benches, placed far enough apart to allow me to stand between. I have also used stacks of plywood that weren't high enough to start in a standing position. But I could do a quarter squat to get under the bar then step back.

If you do anything like those above though, just make sure it's stable and level.
    Good point! That's really important, if flooring surface is not level, then squat is crooked and you risk lower back injury.

And under NO circumstances attempt to do front squats, without a rack, while wearing rollerblades. That can cause SERIOUS injury!

MBTI
    Ixxx

Hey guys. Man this site just keeps getting better (just found this thread today). Here's my technical question:

I'm one of those unlucky guys with stiff ankles so I can't do full, proper squats. I'm 6'1", 155lbs. as well (wiry). Have you heard of anyone like this ever stretching/conditioning their legs so they can eventually do flat-footed, proper form squats? Or, do I have to use heel lifts?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by xx00oo00xx View Post
    Hey guys. Man this site just keeps getting better (just found this thread today). Here's my technical question:

I'm one of those unlucky guys with stiff ankles so I can't do full, proper squats. I'm 6'1", 155lbs. as well (wiry). Have you heard of anyone like this ever stretching/conditioning their legs so they can eventually do flat-footed, proper form squats? Or, do I have to use heel lifts?

Thanks a lot in advance.
    Actually many weightlifters put a 2 1/2 or 5lb. weight under their heels for squats since depending on foot position, your heels will lift off the floor just a bit as you squat.

It's perfectly legitimate.

And I wouldn't neglect stretching the area, no matter what you decide to do.

MBTI
    Ixxx

Actually many weightlifters put a 2 1/2 or 5lb. weight under their heels for squats since depending on foot position, your heels will lift off the floor just a bit as you squat.

It's perfectly legitimate.

And I wouldn't neglect stretching the area, no matter what you decide to do.

Ok, good point about stretching. So you don't think it significantly changes which muscles are targeted and how they are targeted? Ha, I know I sound perfectionistic, but it's just that I seemed to be working the front of my legs more than I would in a normal squat (without plates), like the load was being taken away from my hamstrings and glutes. Any ideas of what I was doing wrong? Lifts too high? Leaning forward too much?

edit: by "without plates" I meant under my heels. Just to be clear.

I'm just getting over a lower back injury trying to squat.

Squats are very dependent on technique. I wouldn't recommend people add external weight until they can master their own body weight with proper technique.

But then again everyone is free to do whatever they please.