• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Fitness and the Male Body Image

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
I prefer shoulder width, palms facing out, grip usually. My biceps give out before my back if I use a palm in grip, so I'll use it for a little extra biceps torture occasionally. :)

bananafish

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
I think sculpted shoulders are sexy.
And veiny arms.
I like my men slim though. :p

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
It's annoying when I see guys who are a shit-ton more toned/slimmer than I am when I'm stronger and can run longer distances than they can. = (

WithoutaFace

MBTI Type
INTJ
It's annoying when I see guys who are a shit-ton more toned/slimmer than I am when I'm stronger and can run longer distances than they can. = (

Awww don't feel down about it. I'm sure if you vary your strategies and focus, you'll eventually reach your desired goal. There's always a way to get things done. I have faith in you. =)

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
goddamn mesomorphs

You must not be talking to me then. :)

Blank said:
It's annoying when I see guys who are a shit-ton more toned/slimmer than I am when I'm stronger and can run longer distances than they can.

Seriously though, genetics aside, you can work on lagging body parts. Instead of spending equal time on all body parts, put extra time in on one that lags behind.

Now, if you're talking about having less visible body fat, unfortunately genetics do play a role. You can work yourself to death so you can have a six-pack, but the second you stop working so hard it's gone. Or you might be one of those lucky people who don't have to work hard to have that toned slim look.

But if you work your butt off, and continue exercising even without the visible muscle. You're still a better person, and healthier than a skinny person, who is lazy. And if you continue taking care of yourself, you'll notice the lazy people starting to get fat, and/or having health problems. While you stay healthy.

Outlasting the twits is the best revenge. And making them look like weak little babies when they talk crap is a close second. ;)

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
True, but when you're twenty it's a lot harder to appreciate that.

@mlittrell: One thing that I found is personally effective for gaining strength and mass is using the overload theory. It definitely won't make you look toned though, just like a meat panzer.

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
True, but when you're twenty it's a lot harder to appreciate that.

@mlittrell: One thing that I found is personally effective for gaining strength and mass is using the overload theory. It definitely won't make you look toned though, just like a meat panzer.

Ah, but if you know it when you're twenty, you have all the other twenty year old whipped. :)

It definitely won't make you look toned though, just like a meat panzer.

*RWAWR*!!

:D

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Dearest beef buffets,
If the rascals in the other threads insist on rolling about our beloved longhouse quarters willy-nilly in their tussles, I may have to request your bouncing services.

Huggles,
iwakar

:laugh:

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
lol my routine revolves around power lifts... i dont think i could overload more than that. i eat 1000 more calories than recommended (although with my activity level it is just perfect). and my supplementation is near impeccable. there is only so much i can overload on before my kidneys or liver or other vital organs start to scream at me haha.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
lol my routine revolves around power lifts... i dont think i could overload more than that. i eat 1000 more calories than recommended (although with my activity level it is just perfect). and my supplementation is near impeccable. there is only so much i can overload on before my kidneys or liver or other vital organs start to scream at me haha.

Michael Phelps disagrees! You just aren't working out enough! ;)

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
maybe i am a hater. he can swim fast. woopty-fucking-doo. lol i just think he is popular with the girls so they just kinda advertised him a lot

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
What? He's ugly as fuck...I think, but I'm not a chick or a dude who's into judging other dudes but seriously? He looks like he's retarded.

Anyway, could you give us a lifting schedule of what you lift and how long it would take you to increase your gains? That way we could look at it and possibly come up with some better suggestions or alternatives.

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP

What I want to know is, how many grams of protein do you eat in a day? And how much you weigh.

Also, like Blank said, your exercise schedule.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
lol sorry for previous response. i had a splitting migraine and the last thing i wanted to hear about was michael phelps.

my lifting schedule goes like this (this is a stripped down version):

*everything revolves around deadlifts, squats, and bench. and i started working out about 3 years ago. when i started i was 110. i am now 145, so really i should not complain. i think i posted this before. my bodyfat is around 6-7%.

monday: chest, bicepts *this is my bench day
tuesday: legs (quads, calves) *this is my squat day
wednesday: rnr
thursday: traps/shoulders/abs
friday: back/tricepts *this is my deadlift day

i do not rest between sets. at least no longer then 10 seconds. many times i will do push ups in between if i really need more than 10 seconds. on my big 3 lifts i usually lift 5 sets of 5 and i will increase the weight in the middle of the exercise if i feel i can finish all 5 sets. my gains have gone up quite a bit recently since i have been pushing harder. and really i have only been squatting seriously for 2 months. when i first started squatting i was squatting (dont laugh) 90lbs altogether. now im at 145... which is an ok gain imo, especially for only 2 months. my deadlift is 185 (5x5) with perfect form. I can go up to 200 but i wont make it though all my sets. my bench has gone 20lbs in the past 2 weeks. it was 135 two weeks ago and now 155 is easy. my real strength lies in my bodyweight strength. 400 pushups is not hard at all. i think my gains have gone up with the addition of caffeine to my pre-workout snack.

ive only been lifting seriously for about a year.

EDIT:

quick response to protein intake

i eat a lot of protein. very little fast burning carbs (except afterworkout. after workout consists of gatorade and a good protein shake). breakfast i either eat a lot of eggs or a lot of cottage cheese (can you say 16g of protein per serving and practically no fat). and i usually eat a mixture of grains called musli. i also eat prunes and drink a low sodium v8. thats a somewhat typical breakfast. ill have a snack about 2-3 hours later that consists of some sort of nut (i like pistashios a whole lot, but almonds and edamame (whole protein) are awsome too). and ill add an apple to that. then lunch i usually have a sort of sandwich (either a massive pb&j on whole grain with milk or some sort of deli sandwich) and a slew of vegetables (i buy peppers and eat them like apples (did you know a red pepper has more vitamin c then an orange?)). and then ill have a banana or something related and a lot of times ill add triscuits to the the mix (i freaking love triscuits). then another snack about 2-3 hours later. then dinner which either consists of something my mom makes (she is a nutritionist) or sometimes ill buy a rotiserrie chicken and more veggies and fruit. then a protein shake before bed

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
This might sound a little wacky at first, but looking at your pictures in your profile and then at your dietary schedule...I'm going to say that I think you need more fat in your diet. I know that it's been highly stigmatized against in today's society, but the facts are there. Fat gives a high boost of energy. I'm not saying go eat out at Mickey D's every day, but having more red meat in your diet wouldn't hurt.

Personally, (since you didn't really say exactly which exercises you do other than bench and squat) I'm going to say that you don't need to do 5 sets. If at all possible just do two sets or so with 6-8 repetitions MAX, as in you are physically unable to do another repetition past that for that set.

Another thing you may want to take into account is a systems change. After a period of lifting, your body becomes used to the regimen, so you need to "shock" it into gear. Systems changes are really easy to implement into your workout routine, but I'm going to warn you that you'll be sore as a bitch after the first change if you do it properly.

Some system changes:
Increased negative phase- Example: When doing a curl, you lift the weight normally, but on the down i.e. negative phase, you relax your muscles slowly, giving yourself two or three seconds.

Inverted Pyramid- Start off with a low weight, do six reps or so, then increase the weight and increase the reps until you work until muscle exhaustion (Caution. Really easy to injure yourself using this method, I would recommend only using freeweights or machines while using this system)

Ladders- Really basic, same rep amount, different weights. No explanation is really necessary

etc. etc.

Also: There's a whole bunch of weightlifting theory, but I'm going to take a page out of Arnold's book, where you work out until you feel "the pump," where the blood rushes to the area where you've been working out.

YouTube - Arnold Schwarzenegger - The Pump

Which reminds me, if you notice while he's doing those curls, he's using the cheater method instead of only bending his elbow, he uses the lateral motion of his body to help push the weight up, so while proper form is good to have and reduces the risk of injury, using the cheater method, you can have greater increases of strength and larger muscle mass.