• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Fitness and the Male Body Image

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Ive been doing the bike but I need somethign that doesn't just work my legs. Maybe swimming?

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
I'm getting there - I've gotten up to 41 kg on the pull-up machine!!!!! :D I'll be there soon!

vera-de-milo.jpg

Laff! :happy:

Kangirl

I'm a star.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Good for you, Little Linguist! I am the opposite of Biaxident, I think. I'm still very flexible from years of gymnastics and ballet as a kid/teen (I can do an oversplit, which makes some people nauseous it looks so freaky) but I cannot. do. a. chin-up. It's very sad. I just hang there making faces and grunting and nothing happens.

Would you believe i got a bit choked up when demi moore did a chin up in that navy seal movie.

She KICKS ASS in that movie. I weep with jealousy watching it.

wolfy

awsm
And also, advice online could be coming from anyone, a 100 pound person with no muscle could be paraphrasing the best powerlifting advice overheard on a public bus the day before. Before aspiring to convince others that your regimen is the one true path to physical greatness, post a picture of your current physical condition to allow others to assess if what you are preaching is also good in practice. ;)

Mine's in the current picture thread, I stand behind my program, but its not for everyone, and I am also open to learning from others who have bettered themselves in the gym through research, a good work ethic, and experience.

That's a good point. I posted some gym pics in my profile albums.

I've been lifting about 15 years. Initially for karate but later for it's own sake.

Started Powerlifting 9 years ago. Loved the science behind lifting so went back to school and started working in a gym in NZ. Started Personal Training. Competed in Powerlifting there. Got 3rd in NZ in the 90kg class. 225kg squat 150kg bench 250kg deadlift. Not much by international standards but it was fun.

Moved to Japan 4 years ago and haven't competed here. Still train regularly. 4 times a week. Still pretty much use a powerlifting conjugate program. Pretty much the westside program.

phoenity

Ive been doing the bike but I need somethign that doesn't just work my legs. Maybe swimming?

Swimming is an amazing activity that I've only just recently started. Well, I've swam all my life, but never for exercise. But I've fallen in love with trying to swim like a fish, as efficiently as possible.

You can start by getting good balance and body alignment in the water.

It's a hell of a workout for your core musculature using your arms to pull yourself through the water.

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
Good for you, Little Linguist! I am the opposite of Biaxident, I think. I'm still very flexible from years of gymnastics and ballet as a kid/teen (I can do an oversplit, which makes some people nauseous it looks so freaky) but I cannot. do. a. chin-up. It's very sad. I just hang there making faces and grunting and nothing happens.

She KICKS ASS in that movie. I weep with jealousy watching it.

Wasn't me ma'am, I can almost do a full split. Another six inches lower and I'll have it. And I have a pretty mean axe kick. :)

WithoutaFace

MBTI Type
INTJ
Wow, a lot of personalized insight trading back and forth here. Yea pullups are really hard to do. I can only do three of them with my hands curled towards my face, and only one going away from my face; I find working on forearms and biceps tend to increase my ability here.

I also agree with the earlier post stating that shoulders are the best thing to work on aesthetically; or at least that it the best place to start with.

WithoutaFace

MBTI Type
INTJ

Perhaps you should try these "burpees" that everyone has been referencing? When I do it, it works out my legs, abs, back, triceps, and chest. Although, I'm not sure how much you would want to work on your chest though, lol. Either way it seems to be a consummate workout not only for muscles, but it works from a cardiovascular perspective as well.

In case you are curious as to how to do them (but are too lazy to search the thread):

1. Do two leg lift ups
2. Do two pushups
3. While in pushup position do two leg lift ups
4. Repeat

Everything before "repeat" is a one whole repetition. I guess you should complete the whole rep within five to eight seconds. Good luck on your workout quest.

wolfy

awsm
Wow, a lot of personalized insight trading back and forth here. Yea pullups are really hard to do. I can only do three of them with my hands curled towards my face, and only one going away from my face; I find working on forearms and biceps tend to increase my ability here.

I also agree with the earlier post stating that shoulders are the best thing to work on aesthetically; or at least that it the best place to start with.

Eccentrics (lowering yourself slowly) can help to build pull up strength also. Don't do too much though. A little bit goes a long way.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
There are a lot of strong opinions flying around.

One thing that is indisputable for any workout posted in this thread or any other, is that it will lose efficacy if that is the only workout you do. The body gets used to a certain regimen of stressors, and is thus no longer challenged by it. To train effectively for the long term, as in your whole life, you must vary your regimen from time to time, as your health and goals dictate.

And also, advice online could be coming from anyone, a 100 pound person with no muscle could be paraphrasing the best powerlifting advice overheard on a public bus the day before. Before aspiring to convince others that your regimen is the one true path to physical greatness, post a picture of your current physical condition to allow others to assess if what you are preaching is also good in practice. ;)

Mine's in the current picture thread, I stand behind my program, but its not for everyone, and I am also open to learning from others who have bettered themselves in the gym through research, a good work ethic, and experience.

Actually, I posted to find out whether or not my regimen was good - not to convince others. Besides I'm a woman. I'm not looking to win any bodybuilding championships - I'm looking to be healthy and do some prevention so that I don't have another back injury. :blush: The first one really wasn't fun.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
A question for all MBTI members regarding the male body (addressed to both genders):
Which areas of it attracts your attention the most?

I like lean guys with some muscle tone. I notice men who cycle, surf, and play soccer have great bodies.
I especially like long, lean legs on a man. I dislike short, stumpy legs, or overly muscular & thick legs. Bony pole legs aren't attractive to me either.
I also like shoulders on the broad side. A guy can be very thin, but if he has good shoulders he still seems masculine and attractive.
A cute butt is nice of course.

Overrated: super defined abs, big arms, and pecs that look like man-boobs.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
A question for all MBTI members regarding the male body (addressed to both genders):
Which areas of it attracts your attention the most?
i spose i can answer this and still be confident in my sexuality lol

i think anything athletic is good looking. more muscle than what is useful i find funny (aka bodybuilding). i personally like the whole bruce lee mentality. i notice anyone that is fairly well built all around. ive seen guys that only have big arms or bigs pecs or ripped abs or big shoulders and it looks retarded lol

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I'll always endorse chin-ups fully as being one of the best overall upper body exercises. It's a body-weight exercise not meant for mass building like compound weight lifting would be, but you actually will see growth in your arms and back from chin ups. It's one of the few exercises that really leaves my back feeling sore (in a good way). Also, maybe I'm just weird but sometimes my abs will be totally sore too. Just from tensing them up tightly.

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
I'll always endorse chin-ups fully as being one of the best overall upper body exercises. It's a body-weight exercise not meant for mass building like compound weight lifting would be, but you actually will see growth in your arms and back from chin ups. It's one of the few exercises that really leaves my back feeling sore (in a good way). Also, maybe I'm just weird but sometimes my abs will be totally sore too. Just from tensing them up tightly.

You must not be doing it right then B :D. Chin-ups/pull-ups are a classic mass builder. As you noticed, it actually works more than your back.

------------------------------------------------------
OrangeAppled: I guess I look like an ogre then. :D

On a guy I don't particularly look at one part. But large forearms get my attention.

professor goodstain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7~7
Are palms out chinups better than palms in? Isometrics come in handy. weather it be for better efficiency for work or everyday life.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
You must not be doing it right then B :D. Chin-ups/pull-ups are a classic mass builder. As you noticed, it actually works more than your back.

------------------------------------------------------
OrangeAppled: I guess I look like an ogre then. :D

On a guy I don't particularly look at one part. But large forearms get my attention.
Well yes, but most people don't think of chin ups when it comes to building. To me at least it seems it's grouped with calisthenics like push ups, sit ups and exercises for tone. *shrug*