• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Fitness and the Male Body Image

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
i think that activities are the best way to attain and maintain your health. instead of trying to figure out which muscle groups to work, how many and what weight, etc. just find some high intensity, fun activities and give yourself a real reason to exercise consistently. :)

personally, i find the gym to be BORING. if i wanted to work out upper body, i go rock climbing instead, for lower body, mtn climbing/hiking, running, riding a bike, ive even found ice hockey to wear your legs out pretty good. it will work the muscles in a balanced fashion since it's natural movement, like calisthenics, and it's something you can actually enjoy to boot.

:yes:

Although I actually enjoy lifting weights, I like to do it not just in the gym but elsewhere as well. Engine blocks, tree trunks, cinder blocks, etc. can mix things up, and require different strategies to move.

For cardio work though, nothing bores me faster than being on a treadmill or elliptical machine at a gym. I would rather be out hiking or Fell Running. Anything but watching the woman with the 4-inch long fake nails, and a fake tan, try to start the treadmill without using her fingernails. :rolli:

wolfy

awsm

Although I actually enjoy lifting weights, I like to do it not just in the gym but elsewhere as well. Engine blocks, tree trunks, cinder blocks, etc. can mix things up, and require different strategies to move.

For cardio work though, nothing bores me faster than being on a treadmill or elliptical machine at a gym. I would rather be out hiking or Fell Running. Anything but watching the woman with the 4-inch long fake nails, and a fake tan, try to start the treadmill without using her fingernails. :rolli:

Have you ever read that book Dinosaur Training?

wolfy

awsm
No, but I just looked it up.

I think I may go find a copy, it looks interesting. :)

I haven't read the book but there are a few articles from the author on the net and they are good. I think they were on the old Deep Squatter site. If you look and can't find them I'll look through my disorganized bookmarks.

I have Mastery of Hand Strength. That deals a lot with implements and grip strength. Sledgehammers etc. Small book but has good info.

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
I haven't read the book but there are a few articles from the author on the net and they are good. I think they were on the old Deep Squatter site. If you look and can't find them I'll look through my disorganized bookmarks.

I have Mastery of Hand Strength. That deals a lot with implements and grip strength. Sledgehammers etc. Small book but has good info.

Cool.

I have a 20 lb. steel digging bar that I love to play with, it's about 6 feet long. Good for the forearms and grip. :)

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
I looked up John Brookfield the author of Hand Strength. He has a column on Ironmind the publisher of the book. Grip training with John Brookfield. There is a whole series of tips.

I hadn't been to Ironmind in a while. Glad I had a look.

Gotta love a kettlebell. Thanks for the link.

Sounds like you've been slacking.

Sir!...Put the candy down, and back away slowly! :D

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If your going for mass, then heavy compounds. Deadlifts will build you lower back, legs and traps. snatch grip deadlift will hammer your middle back and traps, pullups for width, incline/flat presses for chest, military press for shoulders, dips leaning forward for tris/chest/shoulder. google for "Starting Strength" or "Bill Starr 5x5" These will add mass.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Cool.

I have a 20 lb. steel digging bar that I love to play with, it's about 6 feet long. Good for the forearms and grip. :)

When I do yard work like building a wall I grip the stones with fingertips.

You can also grab a friend, a jet ski, and go crazy with them holdong on behind you. This will fry your forearms. The heavier the friend the better.

I am so tempted to get a #2 gripper to see if I can close it.

wolfy

awsm
If your going for mass, then heavy compounds. Deadlifts will build you lower back, legs and traps. snatch grip deadlift will hammer your middle back and traps, pullups for width, incline/flat presses for chest, military press for shoulders, dips leaning forward for tris/chest/shoulder. google for "Starting Strength" or "Bill Starr 5x5" These will add mass.

The Bill Starr program is great. I think I have a copy of it somewhere. I did it a while back and you're right a great solid program.
The guy in the OP doesn't seem to have a bench and I think he only has dumbbells though. Something to keep in mind for later though.

I love your exercise choices. I could deadlift all day. I love it. :yes:

WithoutaFace

MBTI Type
INTJ
By the way, per the suggestion of a few posts here, I have tried putting burpees into my workout routine. Wow, that exercise really gets my cardio going I tell you.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
By the way, per the suggestion of a few posts here, I have tried putting burpees into my workout routine. Wow, that exercise really gets my cardio going I tell you.

Haha, I did a boot camp program hosted by a guy who came back from Iraq that owned the Tae Kwon Do studio I used to train at, we did something similar, except instead of the jump, when you came up from your pushup you had to punch punch, front kick front kick... damn. First time I nearly killed myself.

Also, make sure your diet is good! Peanut butter, lean white meat, nuts, fruit and a nice bucket of whey protein mixed in milk twice a day will do you wonders. Honestly diet is half the battle.

WithoutaFace

MBTI Type
INTJ
Haha, I did a boot camp program hosted by a guy who came back from Iraq that owned the Tae Kwon Do studio I used to train at, we did something similar, except instead of the jump, when you came up from your pushup you had to punch punch, front kick front kick... damn. First time I nearly killed myself.

Also, make sure your diet is good! Peanut butter, lean white meat, nuts, fruit and a nice bucket of whey protein mixed in milk twice a day will do you wonders. Honestly diet is half the battle.

Burpees are a killer. Try burpees plus jump and pull up. Here is a guy doing 100.

Wow, you guys are crazy. I'll give those a shot when I progress towards the more "advanced" stage of my workouts. I don't think diet should be a major problem for me though. It's constituted mainly of fish, small portions of rice, fruit, milk, bread, and nuts.

On a side note, since doing this workout program, I have noticed a significant burn in my obliques. It feels great afterward.

wolfy

awsm
Yeah, It's important not to jump the gun to more advanced exercises when something more simple will suffice. If you do the exercise will have less effect when you use it later. The key is consistent progression.

WithoutaFace

MBTI Type
INTJ
Another question for you guys though:

How important do you consider long "speed-walks" as part of the program. For intense cardio I find that jump roping and burpees are doing the trick thus far. What about long walks; is this good for burning calories on the side? Any of you implement this into your routine each week?

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP

How important do you consider long "speed-walks" as part of the program. For intense cardio I find that jump roping and burpees are doing the trick thus far. What about long walks; is this good for burning calories on the side? Any of you implement this into your routine each week?

Define long walks.

When I walk it's about how long I walk not how far. Plus I'm not a fan of walking on a track or a trail specifically built for walking. I like unimproved trails, with the occasional obstacle, preferably going up hill.

wolfy

awsm

If the interval stuff is doing the trick you don't need to do them.
There is a hierarchy to them

1 Resistance Training
2 Interval Training
3 Steady State Cardio
4 Non Exercise Related Activity

So it depends on the time you have available and your goals.
In short unless you really need to and have time you don't need to do them. Your heart gets plenty of work and a lot stronger just from Resistance Training and Intervals.

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
If the interval stuff is doing the trick you don't need to do them.
There is a hierarchy to them

1 Resistance Training
2 Interval Training
3 Steady State Cardio
4 Non Exercise Related Activity

So it depends on the time you have available and your goals.
In short unless you really need to and have time you don't need to do them. Your heart gets plenty of work and a lot stronger just from Resistance Training and Intervals.

Brendan

Guerilla Urbanist
MBTI Type
ENFJ
The torso most attracts my attention. I also agree with Edge, Contours look good on men, though being overly defined isn't necessarily attractive.