User Tag List

First 7891011 Last

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    Military press [I can only do the bar ], I throw in some shrugs, dumbell presses, and whatever the one is where it looks like I'm flapping my arms with dumbells. I had always assumed it was a rotator cuff issue, however if it came to surgery I wasn't going to do it anyways, so why bother getting the diagnosis.
    Forget the shrugs for now.

You can strengthen the muscles in and around your rotator cuff easily. The thing you have to remember is they are small muscles and they don't respond well to overload. Start with very light weights(body weight to 5 pounds).

If your RCs are weak they mess up any upper body exercise you do.

Here. http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...pictureid=3225

Let me know if you want a larger version.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Biaxident View Post
    Forget the shrugs for now.

You can strengthen the muscles in and around your rotator cuff easily. The thing you have to remember is they are small muscles and they don't respond well to overload. Start with very light weights(body weight to 5 pounds).

If your RCs are weak they mess up any upper body exercise you do.

Here. http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...pictureid=3225

Let me know if you want a larger version.
    Thank you so much! Shoulder strength has always been my bottleneck. Hopefully these will help.

Also thanks for the note about overloading, I didn't know this and would frequently try to hit my shoulders hard to force them to get stronger or...die. Which probably made them worse.

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    Thank you so much! Shoulder strength has always been my bottleneck. Hopefully these will help.

Also thanks for the note about overloading, I didn't know this and would frequently try to hit my shoulders hard to force them to get stronger or...die. Which probably made them worse.
    It's the muscles under your deltoids that are getting beat up...
    The muscles no one ever hears about, your supraspinatus , teres minor, and subscapularis.

Personally, I would lay off delts entirely for a couple of weeks. Just work on your rotator cuffs. You can go high reps 20-30 if you're up to it, but keep the weight lower than 5 pounds.

MBTI
    INTJ

Your guys' lingo makes me want to pick up a visual atlas of the body with all the associated lexicon. Wikipedia time ....

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

It'll be okay.

Good points. Your shoulders get hammered from a lot of other exercises.
    Rotator Cuff work is always a good idea.

In not controlling the weight while benching there could be some other causes too...

Weak upper back

You are not tight and stable on the bench. Pull your shoulder blades together and get a tight strong base with your feet.
    You can't shoot a rocket out of a row boat.

Lat weakness. Lats are important in the bench. They connect to the humerus and help to keep you stable.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

LOL!

I spend 30-45 minutes tops lifting.

It's more about what you do with the time, than how long you spend doing it.

I rest maybe 30 seconds between sets.

Two body parts per day, heavy weights, between 6-10 reps, 3-4 sets, 3 exercises per body part.

That's about what I'm doing. I'm actually doing the P90x workout, though I've dropped the cardio stuff while waiting for my stress fracture in my foot to heal.

Monday: Chest & Back
    Tuesday: Arms & Shoulders
    Wednesday: Legs & Back
    Thursday: Chest, Shoulders, & Triceps
    Friday: Back & Biceps
    Saturday: Yoga

Yoga, wooo! Basically, chest is pushups, back is pullups, and everything else is mostly dumbells.

I do feel sore the next day, so maybe this will work with the muscle confusion they talk about.

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    That's about what I'm doing. I'm actually doing the P90x workout, though I've dropped the cardio stuff while waiting for my stress fracture in my foot to heal.

Monday: Chest & Back
    Tuesday: Arms & Shoulders
    Wednesday: Legs & Back
    Thursday: Chest, Shoulders, & Triceps
    Friday: Back & Biceps
    Saturday: Yoga

Yoga, wooo! Basically, chest is pushups, back is pullups, and everything else is mostly dumbells.

I do feel sore the next day, so maybe this will work with the muscle confusion they talk about.
    Holy Crap on a Stick, Batman!

Dude, how long have you been working out?

I never did a nutty split like that, even when I was in my twenties. I shall assume you take supplements to keep your joint cartilage from bursting into flames and melting.

And I have heard about this P90x thing, but never cared to look into it. I guess I will have to read about it.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Holy Crap on a Stick, Batman!

Dude, how long have you been working out?

I never did a nutty split like that, even when I was in my twenties. I shall assume you take supplements to keep your joint cartilage from bursting into flames and melting.

And I have heard about this P90x thing, but never cared to look into it. I guess I will have to read about it.
    Since last spring, though I did develop tendonitis in my elbow and took three months off.

Probably would help if I ate better.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Since last spring, though I did develop tendonitis in my elbow and took three months off.

Probably would help if I ate better.
    So in spite of these monster workouts, you still have trouble attaining your body's target goal? How satisfied are you with your results thus far?