User Tag List

First 3456715 Last

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Grayscale View Post
    i think that activities are the best way to attain and maintain your health. instead of trying to figure out which muscle groups to work, how many and what weight, etc. just find some high intensity, fun activities and give yourself a real reason to exercise consistently.

personally, i find the gym to be BORING. if i wanted to work out upper body, i go rock climbing instead, for lower body, mtn climbing/hiking, running, riding a bike, ive even found ice hockey to wear your legs out pretty good. it will work the muscles in a balanced fashion since it's natural movement, like calisthenics, and it's something you can actually enjoy to boot.

Although I actually enjoy lifting weights, I like to do it not just in the gym but elsewhere as well. Engine blocks, tree trunks, cinder blocks, etc. can mix things up, and require different strategies to move.

For cardio work though, nothing bores me faster than being on a treadmill or elliptical machine at a gym. I would rather be out hiking or Fell Running. Anything but watching the woman with the 4-inch long fake nails, and a fake tan, try to start the treadmill without using her fingernails. :rolli:

Quote Originally Posted by Biaxident View Post

Although I actually enjoy lifting weights, I like to do it not just in the gym but elsewhere as well. Engine blocks, tree trunks, cinder blocks, etc. can mix things up, and require different strategies to move.

For cardio work though, nothing bores me faster than being on a treadmill or elliptical machine at a gym. I would rather be out hiking or Fell Running. Anything but watching the woman with the 4-inch long fake nails, and a fake tan, try to start the treadmill without using her fingernails. :rolli:
    Have you ever read that book Dinosaur Training?

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    Have you ever read that book Dinosaur Training?

No, but I just looked it up.

I think I may go find a copy, it looks interesting.

No, but I just looked it up.

I think I may go find a copy, it looks interesting.
    I haven't read the book but there are a few articles from the author on the net and they are good. I think they were on the old Deep Squatter site. If you look and can't find them I'll look through my disorganized bookmarks.

I have Mastery of Hand Strength. That deals a lot with implements and grip strength. Sledgehammers etc. Small book but has good info.

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

I haven't read the book but there are a few articles from the author on the net and they are good. I think they were on the old Deep Squatter site. If you look and can't find them I'll look through my disorganized bookmarks.

I have Mastery of Hand Strength. That deals a lot with implements and grip strength. Sledgehammers etc. Small book but has good info.
    Cool.

I have a 20 lb. steel digging bar that I love to play with, it's about 6 feet long. Good for the forearms and grip.

Cool.

I have a 20 lb. steel digging bar that I love to play with, it's about 6 feet long. Good for the forearms and grip.
    I looked up John Brookfield the author of Hand Strength. He has a column on Ironmind the publisher of the book. Grip training with John Brookfield. There is a whole series of tips.

I hadn't been to Ironmind in a while. Glad I had a look.

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

I looked up John Brookfield the author of Hand Strength. He has a column on Ironmind the publisher of the book. Grip training with John Brookfield. There is a whole series of tips.

I hadn't been to Ironmind in a while. Glad I had a look.

Gotta love a kettlebell. Thanks for the link.

Sounds like you've been slacking.

Sir!...Put the candy down, and back away slowly!

MBTI
    STP

If your going for mass, then heavy compounds. Deadlifts will build you lower back, legs and traps. snatch grip deadlift will hammer your middle back and traps, pullups for width, incline/flat presses for chest, military press for shoulders, dips leaning forward for tris/chest/shoulder. google for "Starting Strength" or "Bill Starr 5x5" These will add mass.

MBTI
    STP

Cool.

When I do yard work like building a wall I grip the stones with fingertips.

You can also grab a friend, a jet ski, and go crazy with them holdong on behind you. This will fry your forearms. The heavier the friend the better.

I am so tempted to get a #2 gripper to see if I can close it.

Quote Originally Posted by poki View Post
    If your going for mass, then heavy compounds. Deadlifts will build you lower back, legs and traps. snatch grip deadlift will hammer your middle back and traps, pullups for width, incline/flat presses for chest, military press for shoulders, dips leaning forward for tris/chest/shoulder. google for "Starting Strength" or "Bill Starr 5x5" These will add mass.
    The Bill Starr program is great. I think I have a copy of it somewhere. I did it a while back and you're right a great solid program.
    The guy in the OP doesn't seem to have a bench and I think he only has dumbbells though. Something to keep in mind for later though.

I love your exercise choices. I could deadlift all day. I love it.