User Tag List

First 7151617

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

thanks for the advice but i already do all of this. i forgot to mention that i add extra virgin olive oil to everything. tons of monounsaturated fat (helps with the inflammation) and adds calories. the other exercises i switch up a lot, and they aren't that important. also my pictures in my profile are old(about 15 lbs less than now). i do a lot of negative sets especially cause they initiate more muscle fibers than normal sets. my big three lifts (dead,squat,bench) i do 5 sets of 5 and increase the weight so that i can barely make the last set.

i have Pumping Iron so ive seen that. i know my shit, believe me. I probably know more than i should. i just am a young guy who is a hardgainer who is expecting more muscle than i should expect. thats about it.

thanks once again for the response though.
    "Honest differences are often a healthy sign of progress. "

"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

Mahatma Gandhi

Enneagram: 9w1

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

Mlittrell, for you, I would suggest you take more rest time between sets and exercises. Especially the multi-joint exercises(bench, deads, squats), try resting at least a full minute maybe even two between sets. If you are trying to put on mass, I don't think you are resting enough. It sounds like you are getting close to over-training.

Your muscles won't grow without adequate rest. And you have only been lifting for a year. Nor will they grow if you damage too many muscle fibers for your body to repair before the next session. If what you say is true, that you are a hard gainer, rest is especially important.

Hang around a gym long enough, and you'll see the chronic over-trainers. They are usually injured somewhere, and have actually lost muscle mass.

You can gain strength without adding mass, that's not usually a problem. It's gaining mass while getting stronger that can be difficult.

My opinion is, you may be pushing the limits of recovery. Quantity isn't as important as quality.

On a nutritional note, you should be eating at least 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight. And drinking lots of plain water.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

your probably right.

i dont care THAT much about mass but it is nice to motivate me.

also i do get 3 days of rnr. wednesday and the weekend. as long as my gains are going up im happy.

and i drink 6 bottles (approx) of water a day. and i hit that 1 gram:pound ratio.

thanks for the replies, it is much appreciated

and in your opinion, is a 35 lb gain a good gain? ive heard some people say thats pretty good but i never know.

"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."

Mahatma Gandhi

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by mlittrell View Post
    your probably right.

i dont care THAT much about mass but it is nice to motivate me.

also i do get 3 days of rnr. wednesday and the weekend. as long as my gains are going up im happy.

and i drink 6 bottles (approx) of water a day. and i hit that 1 gram:pound ratio.

thanks for the replies, it is much appreciated

and in your opinion, is a 35 lb gain a good gain? ive heard some people say thats pretty good but i never know.

If you're truly a hard gainer, 35 pounds is damn good.

Nothing we say here will 'make' you do something, but I'm glad you find the information useful.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

I'll chill a little between sets lol

Mahatma Gandhi

MBTI
    INTJ

To the OP I will just add that from my observations I think men's bodies look best in their 30s. It's like they get broader and put on a bit more muscle, plus I think a slight paunch isn't an issue. I like broad shoulders and big forearms, personally, but I'm obviously not too concerned because my bf was skinny when I met him and I've dated an overweight guy before. Just as long as we're not talking anorexic or obese.

I know no girls who like the sort of ridiculously rippling muscle you get on cheesy bodybuilders who are fake-tanned and oily, but other than that I think we have pretty much all tastes covered.

MBTI
    INTJ

Duly noted.