User Tag List

First 31112131415 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Ive been doing the bike but I need somethign that doesn't just work my legs. Maybe swimming?

Senior Member professor goodstain's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    Ive been doing the bike but I need somethign that doesn't just work my legs. Maybe swimming?
    Run with a 1/2 pound rock in each hand.
    everyone uses every function about evenly. take NE for example. if there are those who don't use it much, then why are there such massive amounts of people constantly flowing through Wallmart with 20 items or less?

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    I'm getting there - I've gotten up to 41 kg on the pull-up machine!!!!! I'll be there soon!

Laff!

MBTI
    ENTJ

Good for you, Little Linguist! I am the opposite of Biaxident, I think. I'm still very flexible from years of gymnastics and ballet as a kid/teen (I can do an oversplit, which makes some people nauseous it looks so freaky) but I cannot. do. a. chin-up. It's very sad. I just hang there making faces and grunting and nothing happens.

Would you believe i got a bit choked up when demi moore did a chin up in that navy seal movie.
    She KICKS ASS in that movie. I weep with jealousy watching it.
    "Only an irrational dumbass, would burn Jews." - Jaguar

"please give concise answers in plain English" - request from Provoker

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    And also, advice online could be coming from anyone, a 100 pound person with no muscle could be paraphrasing the best powerlifting advice overheard on a public bus the day before. Before aspiring to convince others that your regimen is the one true path to physical greatness, post a picture of your current physical condition to allow others to assess if what you are preaching is also good in practice.

Mine's in the current picture thread, I stand behind my program, but its not for everyone, and I am also open to learning from others who have bettered themselves in the gym through research, a good work ethic, and experience.
    That's a good point. I posted some gym pics in my profile albums.

I've been lifting about 15 years. Initially for karate but later for it's own sake.

Started Powerlifting 9 years ago. Loved the science behind lifting so went back to school and started working in a gym in NZ. Started Personal Training. Competed in Powerlifting there. Got 3rd in NZ in the 90kg class. 225kg squat 150kg bench 250kg deadlift. Not much by international standards but it was fun.

Moved to Japan 4 years ago and haven't competed here. Still train regularly. 4 times a week. Still pretty much use a powerlifting conjugate program. Pretty much the westside program.

Swimming is an amazing activity that I've only just recently started. Well, I've swam all my life, but never for exercise. But I've fallen in love with trying to swim like a fish, as efficiently as possible.

You can start by getting good balance and body alignment in the water.

It's a hell of a workout for your core musculature using your arms to pull yourself through the water.

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Kangirl View Post
    Good for you, Little Linguist! I am the opposite of Biaxident, I think. I'm still very flexible from years of gymnastics and ballet as a kid/teen (I can do an oversplit, which makes some people nauseous it looks so freaky) but I cannot. do. a. chin-up. It's very sad. I just hang there making faces and grunting and nothing happens.

She KICKS ASS in that movie. I weep with jealousy watching it.
    Wasn't me ma'am, I can almost do a full split. Another six inches lower and I'll have it. And I have a pretty mean axe kick.

MBTI
    INTJ

Wow, a lot of personalized insight trading back and forth here. Yea pullups are really hard to do. I can only do three of them with my hands curled towards my face, and only one going away from my face; I find working on forearms and biceps tend to increase my ability here.

I also agree with the earlier post stating that shoulders are the best thing to work on aesthetically; or at least that it the best place to start with.

MBTI
    INTJ

Perhaps you should try these "burpees" that everyone has been referencing? When I do it, it works out my legs, abs, back, triceps, and chest. Although, I'm not sure how much you would want to work on your chest though, lol. Either way it seems to be a consummate workout not only for muscles, but it works from a cardiovascular perspective as well.

In case you are curious as to how to do them (but are too lazy to search the thread):

1. Do two leg lift ups
    2. Do two pushups
    3. While in pushup position do two leg lift ups
    4. Repeat

Everything before "repeat" is a one whole repetition. I guess you should complete the whole rep within five to eight seconds. Good luck on your workout quest.

Quote Originally Posted by WithoutaFace View Post
    Wow, a lot of personalized insight trading back and forth here. Yea pullups are really hard to do. I can only do three of them with my hands curled towards my face, and only one going away from my face; I find working on forearms and biceps tend to increase my ability here.

I also agree with the earlier post stating that shoulders are the best thing to work on aesthetically; or at least that it the best place to start with.
    Eccentrics (lowering yourself slowly) can help to build pull up strength also. Don't do too much though. A little bit goes a long way.