User Tag List

First 89101112 Last

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Since last spring, though I did develop tendonitis in my elbow and took three months off.

Probably would help if I ate better.
    Perhaps if you did less lifting, rested more, plus, ate better. hehehe

You can always take steroids. I'll buy you your first bra.

Over-training can cause you to injure yourself. And it can also make you lose muscle mass. It sounds to me as if you are doing way too much, to soon.

MBTI
    INTJ

Hey BiAxident, what do you think of circuit training? I believe circuit training is giving little rest between different lifts in order to get your heart rate up, so it functions as both a cardio and muscle workout. This is what I believe it is, correct me if I am wrong.

Do you actually employ this technique? What are the advantages/disadvantages?

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by WithoutaFace View Post
    Hey BiAxident, what do you think of circuit training? I believe circuit training is giving little rest between different lifts in order to get your heart rate up, so it functions as both a cardio and muscle workout. This is what I believe it is, correct me if I am wrong.

Do you actually employ this technique? What are the advantages/disadvantages?
    Well, circuit-training is supposed to be a weight training exercise interspersed with a period of aerobic exercise. So a set of bench presses, then a set of jumping jacks, then a set of dumbbell flies, then a set of burpees, etc. On through nine to twelve stations(exercises) spending between thirty and sixty seconds at each station. It's generally more about cardio and fat burning than strength and muscle building.

What I do is one set, rest thirty seconds, do another, etc. till I get to the amount I want. I do every set of every exercise that way. But in between exercises I will give myself sixty seconds, to get set up. I guess you could call it a highly modified circuit.

Advantages: Done quickly, massive pump, less chance to get distracted, introduces a cardio component.

Disadvantages: Requires planning for exercises, can't always lift as heavy, requires focus and good form to prevent injuries.

I cycle in and out of this, 4 weeks on, 4 weeks off. When I am off I rest more between sets(1-2 min) and I can lift heavier. Also I try out new exercises, I like switching up regularly, it keeps things from getting stale.

MBTI
    INTJ

I see. Also, I notice my muscles don't stay sore/stiff as long as they used to when I started working out. As a matter of fact, the next day I feel normal again. Does this mean that I need to heavier weights and/or more reps?

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by WithoutaFace View Post
    I see. Also, I notice my muscles don't stay sore/stiff as long as they used to when I started working out. As a matter of fact, the next day I feel normal again. Does this mean that I need to heavier weights and/or more reps?

If your reps are between 8 and 12 I see no need to increase them. Add more weight. Also, when you exercise keep strict form. So many people have sloppy form and wonder why they aren't progressing, or hurt themselves.

With strict form you don't need heavier weights until you can do around 12 reps while keeping your form. You'll notice a difference right away if your form is right.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

you should of come to the ENTJ sooner! I will make it easy, simple and efficient for you.

credentials/experience:
    --i lifted all throughout high school...then over the next few years took a "forced break", lost 20 pounds of muscle due to the ordeal and then put on 20 pounds of fat. Lost the weight, then bulked up another 40 pounds through weights
    --ive tried it all: 3 part body splits, push/pull, crossfit, all closed chain exercises, all barbells, all machines, all dumbbells and then various mixes. Ive tried everything from annihilating a muscle group only once a week with 4sets x 6reps, to three times a week at 5 x 10 and everything inbetween.
    --before MBTI, I spent most of my online time at bodybuilding.com
    --i always made it a point to got looking for "the science" due to the influence of my chosen school discipline...the exercise industry is full of lies. For example, NO explode is a complete lie.

Now I will break it down easy for you:

1. Most important?
    Shoulders. they will make or break you're physique, period. If you have nothing else going for your physique, have huge, balanced shoulders. You could have the biggest, arms, chest, best abs etc...if your shoulders suck, you will not look like you work out.

2. splits? how often?
    -Unless you're already huge, on roids, or doing some fancy program, please for the love of god: do full body workouts. I cant tell you how ridiculous it is to see 160lb 15 year olds go on about how they need an entire fucking day for "chest" and then yet another for "shoulders" etc...
    -if you're doing full body, then 3 x week

3. Should I bulk or cut?
    -unless you are 110lb Ethiopian or 400lb whale, please, for the love of God, do not use "im on a cut" or a "bulk" as an excuse for tons of ridiculous shit that has no scientific bases.
    -bulking is a waste of time. Get stronger + enough protein (not useless extra force fed calories) and you will look better. The goal is "to look better"/"move more shit". It is not "make sure you go up on the scale every week".

If you're the average skinny-fat male trying to simply look better:

3 x ____ pullups
    1 x 10 dumbbell shoulder press bench at 85 degrees
    2 x 10 dumbbell shoulder press at around 75 degrees
    2 x 12 seated lateral raise one arm at a time
    2 x 12 bent over rear delt raise one arm at a time

Start at the reps prescribed, when you can do that weight 15-18, move up next workout and start over. Being stuck on the same heavy weight for weeks at a time is slow. If the reps are high, then all you have to do is adapt from 10 reps to 15-18 and you can jump up. You will start lower, but you're progress will be more lasting than just moving the heaviest shit you can for 5 reps from day one onward.

all of that 3 times a week + 2 running days (work up to 2 mile "runs" or one mile "sprints")

If you're the average skinny-fat male trying to simply be stronger:

M
    deficit deads
    pullups
    incline dumbbell bench

W
    Front squats
    Bulgarian split squats

F
    deficit deads
    pullups
    incline dumbbell bench

Do not waste your time with:
    -mens health or any muscle mag
    -drop sets
    -super sets
    -NO explode
    -cross fit
    -back squats (unless you have a long torso and want to power lift/Olympic lift)
    -elaborate body part splits
    -direct arm work (unless you're already huge)

In the long run, the gimmicks/tricks/tips are just shenanigans. You should aim for the "warren buffet" of workout programs. Build your overall progress from accumulating strength on a few key exercises, and not on how many mens health gimmicks you can fit into every workout

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Yeah, I agree with babylon. Although, one little exception: if you also play other sports, 3 times a week full-body can be a bit too demanding.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Yeah, I agree with babylon. Although, one little exception: if you also play other sports, 3 times a week full-body can be a bit too demanding.
    i dont think 3 x a week is inherently too demanding. The particular program i wrote out though, might have too much shoulder work, if its during a sports season.

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Babylon Candle View Post
    I don't think 3 x a week is inherently too demanding.
    That's about right. Although full body x3 may be a bit much. Especially if you are lifting correctly. I think you would hit the over-training zone rather quickly, if you continue to add weight and sets. The rest you get after your workout is more important than the actual workout itself.

Everyone is different, but unless you fully recover from your last workout before starting another, your body will be in a constant state of playing catch up on repairs. Which can lead to over-training.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Babylon Candle View Post
    i dont think 3 x a week is inherently too demanding. The particular program i wrote out though, might have too much shoulder work, if its during a sports season.
    Well, I know that if I squat regularly when I'm cycling 3 times a week or playing football 3 times a week, my legs are going to shatter in a month or so. Still, it's just a matter of regulating intensity.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp