User Tag List

First 12345 Last

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Yes, how do you know you're still not dreaming?
    I don't even need drugs to have that happen...

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Sometimes I feel like an outsider on the web, because I have never taken anything like this. Not even considered it, never needed anything diagnosed or prescribed. I can't imagine being on a zoloft-like drug.
    I didn't want it, it was basically forced on me after a certain incident. Apparently my "depression" is not chemical. As I told them, I'm just brutally realistic; their fantasy world where everyone is happy all the time is what is bad.

Am I the odd one out here?
    I avoid medicine whenever possible, particularly mind-altering ones, since I live in my mind. I would rather fix the underlying problem than take drugs. We're remarkably resilient and have operated successfully for thousands of known generations without these drugs, so our problems are clearly either a new outside influence or they're trying to drug some of us up to make everyone the same. Do we really want to support either of these through taking drugs?
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Yes, how do you know you're still not dreaming?
    I don't know. How can I ever know?

If I were dreaming, why couldn't things be more pleasant?

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Sometimes I feel like an outsider on the web, because I have never taken anything like this. Not even considered it, never needed anything diagnosed or prescribed. I can't imagine being on a zoloft-like drug.

When I was recovering in hospital from a serious operation I even refused the Morphine because I preferred the pain to having my mood changed.

Am I the odd one out here?

-Geoff
    Initially, I didn't want to take any pills either, but I was persuaded that this was the better course of action. Now I am on pills to avoid withdrawal, and till my Doctors say it is OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    I wish I could get off the Paxil because I want my imagination back!
    I think I still have my imagination, but I do feel significantly dumber on Effexor.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    I think I still have my imagination, but I do feel significantly dumber on Effexor.
    I'm off Effexor, but I am on Adderall to counter the drowsiness caused by Paxil. If I don't take my Adderall, I become tired all day. (Although, I normally take naps during the day.)

Imagination is just something I worry about losing. I worry about people perceiving me as unimaginative and then I start to second-guess myself. (Even INTJs are insecure.)

I guess I value imagination so much is because when reality becomes too hard to bear, my imagination is always there for me. But sometimes I helplessly come out of that state of fantasy and feel desperate to get back in.

I am curious, how long does it take for depression to lift? I've actively been trying to lift my depression now for over a year (though I think I have had dysthymina for most of my life).

I have been on various doses of Lexapro, then on various doses of Effexor XR. They help for a while, but then seem to do absolutely nothing after a while, and I go back to feeling like most of the world has written me off as a looser (it takes constant observation, and reality checking to fight these thoughts).

Anyone actually get better with pills and therapy? I know "relief" is 70%-90% perecent, but I find this "relief" to be incredibly temporary.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    I am curious, how long does it take for depression to lift? I've actively been trying to lift my depression now for over a year (though I think I have had dysthymina for most of my life).

I have been on various doses of Lexapro, then on various doses of Effexor XR. They help for a while, but then seem to do absolutely nothing after a while, and I go back to feeling like most of the world has written me off as a looser (it takes constant observation, and reality checking to fight these thoughts).

Anyone actually get better with pills and therapy? I know "relief" is 70%-90% perecent, but I find this "relief" to be incredibly temporary.

With that out of the way, I did feel relief fairly quickly the first time I used antidepressants for depression (not counting the Duke study I was in, that was for social phobia and they purposefully selected participants who were NOT depressed). This time it's taking a bit longer, but I'm feeling some relief after something like 2-3 months. It sounds like cognitive therapy would really help you, maybe in conjunction with the antidepressants? IDK, I'm not an expert or anything, but it sounds like you have lots of the "automatic thinking" that cognitive therapy is good for. (Although it also sounds like maybe you've done cognitive therapy before from how you describe fighting your automatic thoughts.)
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I'm with Wolf, I'm more interested in understanding the problem rather than sweeping it under the rug with pills.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I'm with Wolf, I'm more interested in understanding the problem rather than sweeping it under the rug with pills.
    That's nice for the two of you. I'm in favor of understanding the problem and using medication if necessary to help correct it.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

So that's where all my pills went! *goes to check under the rug*
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    So that's where all my pills went! *goes to check under the rug*
    Gross, now they're all dog-hairy! And if you try to wash them they'll melt!

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gross, now they're all dog-hairy! And if you try to wash them they'll melt!
    I still think it will be worth it.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)