User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENFJ

Default Overall, are drugs good, or bad, for people?

You can take this question in any sense you wish, but about all psycho-actives collectively.

Drugs have certainly had a big effect on human history--economically, politically, artistically. Lives have been lost over them, lives have been changed by them. Is it arguable that drugs may have been a positive experience in the long run, in that they teach us something about ourselves?
    There is no such thing as separation from God.

MBTI
    INTJ

Maybe drugs are kind of like the "One Ring" of Tolkien. Perhaps for a while you can use them for evil or for good, but eventually they overpower you.

MBTI
    INFP

I'll hop in. Psychoactive chemicals are a curse and a blessing.

How's that for a definitive answer?

They all have annoying, disabling or life-threatening side-effects. So the natural way seems the best to me. If it is possible.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    [...]They all have annoying, disabling or life-threatening side-effects[...]
    That statement is misleading. It implies that they each have one of those three qualities.
    There is no such thing as separation from God.

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

She said Or, not AND...

However, many good drugs needed to treat life-threatening illnesses also have psychoactive properties. That being said, I think they're good

MBTI
    INFP

Actually, noz, I was saying that all psychoactive drugs do have at least one of those side-effects, all the way from annoying to life-threatening, depending on the dosage and the individual.

Maybe that makes it more clear?
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
    You can take this question in any sense you wish, but about all psycho-actives collectively.

Drugs have certainly had a big effect on human history--economically, politically, artistically. Lives have been lost over them, lives have been changed by them. Is it arguable that drugs may have been a positive experience in the long run, in that they teach us something about ourselves?
    I personally think that anyone who uses "any substance" to make themselves feel better has willpower issues and should look at themselves why they need an artificial substance to make them feel good, be happy, be stronger, etc...

I admittedly will over drink once in awhile so I would fall into this category but I am still human. However I am usually annoyed afterwards. Usually I just drink a little as a minor social or to enjoy the taste of beer (yes I actually like the taste more then getting drunk).

I also don't care if people use it as long as it doesn't effect other people. Now that is the million dollar question...

MBTI
    INFP

Are you also talking about antipsychotic drugs, Maabus, or only recreational drugs?

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I have a fear of them.. they're sooty and ashy looking to me. I think with softcore drugs, I do not mind if others want to alter their state of minds. I like life just fine as it is.

With hardcore drugs, I do not think I could continue to associate with someone into them, because something expensive and/or so-dependent-inducing would get in the way entirely, imo, of a relationship of any sort with me. I cannot deny what I am against. I do not support the use of drugs (unless medically perscribed by a doctor, and then only used as perscribed.) for recreation. I do not shun people that smoke cigarettes, weed, or pop a pill here and there... but they must know I do not support it either, and I am offended if anyone offers for me to take part in said activity. It's a bit alienating though, admittably...

...but there are worse vices out there than someone who smokes weed. If I judged everyone based on their vices, I'd have no friends and I'd be alone.

My personal belief is that they are distracting, a waste of income I worked hard to get, and they get in the way of progression. This is because I know that this is how they would damage me, so this is why I dislike them.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEE

I'd have to go with bad. Too many lives ruined, too many potential geniuses turned to mush-minded drones. Sure the double helix was discovered while all the scientists were tripping on LSD, and every civilization on Earth to come in contact with marijuana has used it either medically, recreationally, or religiously. But that doesn't outweigh the damage its done.

Psychoactives can easily ruin families.

Because you can't spell "Slaughter" without "Laughter"