User Tag List

First 123 Last

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Everything I've read has said that you need at least 6 or 7 hours of sleep in order to look young and refreshed- any less and your skin starts to age rather quickly. Of course going back to a full sleep schedule will reverse this
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    Everything I've read has said that you need at least 6 or 7 hours of sleep in order to look young and refreshed- any less and your skin starts to age rather quickly. Of course going back to a full sleep schedule will reverse this
    Really? oh, well bollocks to that idea then.
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Polyphasic sleep - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You can take naps as short as 30 minutes several times a day, increasing your wake time.

The downside is you have to be very regimented, you are training yourself to go into REM almost immediately. Skip a nap and you'll crash hard.

Google Steve Pavlina's blog for his successful attempt and why he gave it up to have a more normal life.

MBTI
    INTJ

I used to sleep like 10 hours a day and then mbtic and vent came and ruined my life.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    ENFP

I do not sleep much and most of the time I seem to do just fine on it! I do occasionaly crash and burn though
    ... couldn't drag me away

eljko Ranatovic: argus
    eljko Ranatovic: do you want heir's?
    WildHorses: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    eljko Ranatovic: to carry your genealogical code??

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    ah yes this is a bad thing for most people for me I look 12.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4, 7
    Socionics
    IEE

I think short-term it may work... Remember those nights where you had to cram your brains out in school?? Eventually, your body broke down in fatigue, no matter how much Red Bull or Vivarin, coffee you downed??

Yah- Balance.

If you train your body to get 3 hrs. of sleep per night, it might even compensate for hormonal functions (immunity, period, weight loss or gain, zits, instant blackouts...) I did it for almost 6 months straight, until my body gave up.. Keep the circadian rhythm in check, woman. Try to get as much zzz's your body needs (sometimes it fluctuates).

Good Luck!!

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by BerberElla View Post
    When I was going to the gym a few months back, I found I slept better and felt better the next day, even if it was that I was still stuck on the whole 6-7 hours of sleep need thing.

So it won't be in anyway detrimental to a persons health to train their body to require less sleep?

The interval thing sounds like the way I would have gone about it, so I;m set to try anyway.
    Yes and No.

It's not healthy by any means, but it's a lesser of two evils.
    I'd also suggest a 30-45min nap in the day at roughly 5pm if it's possible.

But basically, even if it's not recommended, for an adult roughly 5 - 5 and a half hours of uninterrupted sleep is a doable and a manageable amount. But by no means try sleeping less than that.

I suggest giving in a week for calculations to determine when your body goes into deep sleep and when it goes out to get the most of it and get the best results. Believe me, if you plan on ~5.5 hour sleep days, waking yourself up during deep sleep will kill your motivation.

P.S. I suggest you drop any activities, if you have any, that are dependent on your bodys ability to repair itself at night (weightlifting, long distance running, gymnastics, ect...) If you do any of those, it's an absolute minimum of 7 hours of sleep a day for you.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I am finding that I never have enough time in a day to do all the things I enjoy/need to do do, and it frustrates me that my body fails to keep up at times because it needs sleep.
    I know what you mean. My body would rather go to sleep than finish a project I'm but I don't think the problem lies in the amount of hours you sleep but how efficient your time management is durring the day. Concentrate on finding times durring your day that you are being idle and could be doing something else to further the progress of whatever projects your trying to do. A little bit at a time is better than none at all. Also I suggest that you refrain from cutting back the amount of hours you sleep as 7-8 hours is what the body needs to rejuvinate for the next day. My friend who has been an insomniac for several years only gets 2-5 hours a sleep every night and sometimes no sleep at all which greatly diminishes the quality of her work. Also you might need to come to the conclusion that you are taking on too many things at a time. At this point prioritise what's more important for you to work on.

Tips to Increase Daily Engergy
    - A good night's sleep and maintain a regular sleeping schedule.
    - Regular exercise in the morning. This will also increase your metabolism for the rest of the day.
    - Eat a healthy, balanced diet and avoid fast food at all costs. Fast food will make you very tired.
    - Keep a clean house. Seriously, a clean house can be a motivator but a messy one can be depressing.
    - Avoid energy drinks and caffeine. Although they will temporarily give you a boost, they will tire you out faster in the end.
    Is not to be held accuntable for peeling errors.

MBTI
    INFP

6-7 hours of sleep is a minimum for me over an extended period. 8-9 is better. When I don't get enough sleep I start saying the things I would normally only think.

I've found though that a power-nap (aka nanny-nap) after lunch for 30mins max is a good way to get by with less sleep. Even a 5min doze makes all the difference for me between miserably dragging my tired ass around for the rest of the day and feeling ok. Personally, I enjoy a good snooze too much to try to extend my waking hours. But I do envy those bastards who can happily (and smugly) get by on 30mins sleep a night. I hear you need less sleep as you get older, which I'm somewhat looking forward to.