• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you Fast and/or Cleanse?

laintpe

Summer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Seriously, I am not sure how you guys do it, its hard for me to control what I eat sometimes. I don't think I can go cokmpletely vegan and the OP sounds scary, I mean passing out? :shock:

Yeah.... I occassionally get a little extreme (the idea of restrictive fasting, etc.)... and as far as the passing out... well, I took the advice of my (especially odd) raw food friend... who... well, he was voted "Greenest person in Sacramento" and I'm starting to get the impression that he cares more about the environment and animals than he does himself/humans. On a random note, when we went on a walk... he started picking fruit from random front yards and eating it (I don't know- I thought that was.. different)... and we had to avoid all streets with overhead power lines and running cars... or he would refuse to go forward. hahahaha

The Third Rider

MBTI Type
ENFj
Your friend sounds...well....."interesting".:shock: I think I will stick to eating T-bone steak god knows my body doesn't need any more abuse. On the other hand does anyone know a good/safe/sane way to detox your body without the side effects of passing out and potentially calling 911?:D

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Some people at work are doing a detox at the moment, they haven’t eaten for 4 days, all they’re having is some weird concoction from what looks like an olive oil tin with freshly squeezed lemons and water. They keep saying how hungry they are. I don’t get it. I like eating.

Last time they did it to help quit smoking. Think they decided over a ciggy to give it another go :rolleyes:

laintpe

Summer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Some people at work are doing a detox at the moment, they haven’t eaten for 4 days, all they’re having is some weird concoction from what looks like an olive oil tin with freshly squeezed lemons and water. They keep saying how hungry they are. I don’t get it. I like eating.

Last time they did it to help quit smoking. Think they decided over a ciggy to give it another go :rolleyes:

lol I think that would make a good "The Office" episode.

Fairy...

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I believe that's our liver's job - to cleanse, detox etc, so I don't think going on a 'special' diet is really that beneficial. I doubt any of these diets have been scientifically proven - just a craze thats been going on for a number of years. Best advice - eat plenty of vegetables and fruit, wholegrains, legumes daily - there is an abundance of good scientific evidence out there in support of this.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Prolonged in this case means less than a day. After a day without a sufficient amount of calories, your body thinks that it is starving.

If you want to "clean" your body. Start a highly varied 1850-2350 kcal diet filled with complex carbohydrates, highly limited amount of saturated fats, high amounts of vitamins and proteins. And for gods sake, don't ignore meat, don't over eat it but don't become a stupid vegan. Seperate all of this into 5-8 small meals.

Oh yes, one more thing. This is an eternal diet, meaning, you do not quit it.

+10000000000

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
i have to say I fast everytime food is not available to me. :D

Srsly... I like food. and I like the feeling of food in my tummy. and I like knowing I won't pass out from not eating. Im such a puss when it comes to this.. If my tummy growls, I think my brain is trying to eat itself alive :doh:

LucrativeSid

I have fasted before, mostly just because I like experimenting with things. I realized that even though billions of people in the world are hungry, I'd never felt hungry before. Even my coworkers complain that they are "starving" when they haven't eaten in 7 or 8 hours. I never feel hungry. I always eat way before I feel hungry. So, my first and longest fast was 3 full days. I only drank water. It wasn't that bad at all. I felt fine. I think I was starting to feel hungry on the second day. On the third day, I started to feel weak and light-headed so I decided to eat. I ate a double burger in like 10 seconds and it was the most euphoric eating experience of my life!

Other times, it was just to build some discipline and realize that I don't always need to be snacking on something. I frequently go over 12 hours without eating (sleeping, then skipping breakfast) and I don't feel hungry whatsoever.

I think for health reasons, I'd rather just eat healthier foods.

Wild horses

MBTI Type
ENFP
I have one of these friends too and it is really strange because she won't go near power cables either... She is real extreme with the food side of things too and i can't say she's very healthy as a result!

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
I saw this study about a guy who weighed.. I don't remember the number but something like 500lb. Back in the 60's he agreed to be starved down on weight, and they gave him just vitamins and water.

I think it was two years before he "needed" to eat again, and had lost 300lb or so in the process. Fat is designed to be a food source when we are in a famine period.

Feops

MBTI Type
INTx
I've never fasted or cleansed, and don't see any reason to do so. Or at least no biological reason. I guess there could see spiritual perks.

The more moderate option of making healthy eating decisions sounds much more beneficial in the long run.

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Eating is probably my favorite activity, the thought of fasting baffles me, makes me nervous and anxious even. I don't know how it would be possible.

As far as cleansing goes, i would assume that a diet high in fiber would do the trick. I don't understand these feelings of the body not feeling "clean". I've never even heard of this until now. My body always feels just fine, and feels the best after a nice big meal. I don't need a body douche to make me feel better.

:)

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
I have, I've done the maple syrup cleanse (of Beyonce's 'Dream Girls' crash diet fame) 2x. The first time I also did those foot pads that absorb toxins through your feet. Blech. I also did a lot of Bikram (heated) yoga.

The second time, I didn't drink nearly enough fluids and I felt like crap. I was cold all the time. I literally slept more than 12 hours a day and I needed a tow truck to get myself out of bed and make it to class.

I did the fast both times because I like the idea of getting 'toxins' out of your body and mind and getting a fresh start. But it was also the jump start of a 'life style change' which is a thinly veiled euphemism for [crash] diet. Not good.

Fasts can be helpful but I think often people go overboard or do it for unrealistic or misguided reasons. You can do an Oprah 'healthy food fast' which basically means cutting out sugars, caffeine, and animal fats and products and preservatives.

Water is nature's best "cleanser"

I am an all or nothing person which is not good. I don't think I'll fast again for a while.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You can do an Oprah 'healthy food fast' which basically means cutting out sugars, caffeine, and animal fats and products and preservatives.

This is the sort of thing that's funny to me -- that eating healthy and trying to cut out a lot of that stuff is labeled by some as 'fasting'. Why?

I've joked with my friends on occasion that a lot of people in America would probably think I'm on a perpetual diet because I DO eat healthy, I don't snack, etc etc. And for all intents and purposes I eat like a lot of people who are on diets probably eat. It's a lifestyle thing though.

Zoom

Self sustaining supernova
Enneagram
9w8
Personally I would be unable to fast because I have very squirrelly blood sugar and normally eat (as cascade mentioned) in a manner many would consider "dieting" just because I have done so for years and it feels a lot better, body-wise. I tend to eat smaller meals more frequently (keeps bloody sugar more consistent, which I need) and have not had soda, candy, or fast food since I was... thirteen?

I have dessert and really tasty dishes (creme brulee, for example) whenever I want to - but it's very rare that I actually do. I never want the fake "food", though... after a while, my taste buds attuned themselves back to actual food, meaning that manufactured crap tasted far too sweet when strawberries taste perfect, a normal-sized soda would quite possibly make me throw up due to sugar content, and I can taste the unnecessary chemicals and additives in processed food.

Oh, right-o, back on topic - I can't fast because I get light headed, irritable and nauseous after not eating for five or so hours, let alone a full 24.

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
Eating is probably my favorite activity, the thought of fasting baffles me, makes me nervous and anxious even. I don't know how it would be possible.

As far as cleansing goes, i would assume that a diet high in fiber would do the trick. I don't understand these feelings of the body not feeling "clean". I've never even heard of this until now. My body always feels just fine, and feels the best after a nice big meal. I don't need a body douche to make me feel better.

:)

Ha!
+1
Probably because I tend to eat healthy, by choice. Junk food tastes like, well, junk.

{And my classification of "junk" is pretty wide}

riel

MBTI Type
ISFP
Honey, if the girl in the pic is really you, no offense but you're skinny already.

Do you fast or cleanse (regularly, for religious purposes, randomly, even for blood tests, at any time/for any reason)? No

What do you consume when you cleanse (some people only consume liquids, etc.)?Vegetables and fruits

Have you completed any sort of cleanse that did not compromise your consciousness? None

Do you think that there are benefits to cleansing/fasting? Depends upon why someone is doing it

Do you notice any changes in your thinking (do you find that you are more clearheaded, etc.) when you fast/cleanse?I feel nauseated and my environment goes white, literally.